direction in your music - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #61
Swede7
Granular Poster
Swede7 has a spectacular aura aboutSwede7 has a spectacular aura aboutSwede7 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210
Re: direction in your music

The brain likes patterns. That's what music is, patterns of sound (down to what makes pitches sound good together, the frequencies form patterns, e.g. a perfect 5th is exactly 1.5 times the frequencies of the tonic). So repetition is good. However, the brain also likes to be stimulated and taken to new places. So the music needs to go somewhere new. All music, from the insanely repetitive, to the incredibly experimental and constantly changing, has some sort of balance of both. Thats why the traditional pop verse/chorus structure is so good. It is a very healthy balance of repeating measures and phrases, but also giving you a few different phrases, and variations of them.

But the answer is that there is no answer. Do what sounds good to YOU. Truth is, you are not unique. Don't feel self conscious about how repetitive or lacking of pattern your track is. If you dig it, and you can jam to it, that means someone else out there feels the same about it.

Advertisements

Swede7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #62
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
i dunno, but gomesr pointed it out every time I said it similar to architecture, he would say no man and point out that its said like otto-ker
I say au-tech, because it reminds me of a french word, and that's how you would pronounce it according to the people I know who speaks french.

I know several people saying ow-tecker, or aaa-tecker as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #63
Alfred_Faber
Eternal Echoer
Alfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MCAlfred_Faber is a savage MC
Sydney
MC Status: 414155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autechre View Post
With the Anti EP our goal was to make music to be played at warehouse parties, aka "raves", be non repetitive, and sound fucking great under the conditions relic has just laid out.

Fuck Deadmouse...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
holy shit is that actually one of autechre? he says "we"
Alfred_Faber is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #64
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred_Faber View Post
holy shit is that actually one of autechre? he says "we"
Yeah they post here from time to time actually. I think it's Sean that does most of the posting though, from what I can tell, not Rob.

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote