direction in your music - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33710
Re: direction in your music

autechre?

how bout the entire canon of western music?

Advertisements

mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

Stop self bromoting yourself LAMEtechre
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
Autechre
Autechre is a splendid one to beholdAutechre is a splendid one to beholdAutechre is a splendid one to beholdAutechre is a splendid one to beholdAutechre is a splendid one to beholdAutechre is a splendid one to beholdAutechre is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

Your report button broken or something then?
Autechre is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #24
Neal Rame
Knob Twiddler
Neal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond reputeNeal Rame has a reputation beyond repute
in the SoA clubhouse
MC Status: 2360

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Also, as far as dance music, when you are fucking rolling face dancing to predictable 4x4 music is amazing. Let's be honest, most "rave" music, at least partially, developed around the effects of being on a good E.
hehehe as an old techno vet I couldn't help but smile when I read that line. So true. Mixes (live) that I listened to in clubs on E were spectacular to my ears at the time, but a few years down the road, when I heard all the trainwrecks and whatnots in the mix while finding it online it only brought a gape of amazement to my face like, how the hell did I rave and dance to that mix?
Neal Rame is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 AM   #25
WEAmusic
Minor Glitch
WEAmusic will become famous soon enough
Woodstock, GA
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thimzity View Post
Well, this is a sensitive subject, because music is so different to all people. Generally i think the wast amount of repetation in "commercial" music is because, it is the trick to manipulate the human brain... It is easier to understand, easier to attach emotion to, and easier to listen to. It is also known that the beat in a sing triggers the heartbeat, also why 4x4 is so commonly used.
Interesting, maybe that's just it. People who don't make music don't understand what it takes to make a unique song. Most of them fall into this radio music bandwagon without ever discovering real music.... so sad.
WEAmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #26
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421878279
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,895 Posts

I stopped lamenting for other people's music taste a loooong time ago. Let them listen to what they enjoy.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 AM   #27
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

But Vlantis! Their ears will never feel the sweet caress of REAL music!

(made with REAL instruments)
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:56 AM   #28
WEAmusic
Minor Glitch
WEAmusic will become famous soon enough
Woodstock, GA
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindsweeper View Post
But Vlantis! Their ears will never feel the sweet caress of REAL music!

(made with REAL instruments)
^^
WEAmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 AM   #29
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060

the way i see it, without repetition, you end up with irregular drones.
it makes people uneasy; and a lot of them will tell you drones aren't music.
i'm a weirdo, i enjoy timbre-fuckery a lot more than rhythmic patterning (even though they are both very much related).

anyways, throbbing gristle explored that sort of stuff in the 80's, even before autechre, and it was one of the main issues addressed by cosey and genesis' in their criticisms re: ebm / techno; the fact that people chose to default back into repetition instead of forcing the audience to re-evaluate their standards about what constitutes music / attempt to deprogram their brains so they wouldn't equate patterned repetitiveness to music.
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #30
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 33710

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post
the way i see it, without repetition, you end up with irregular drones.
it makes people uneasy; and a lot of them will tell you drones aren't music.
Well yes, but you're oversimplifying it.

To have continuity in your music you do need repetition. But what (often) makes really great music is when you repeat one element of the music, while changing another. This is what composition is all about really. You might have a rythmic motif that goes through harmonic and timbre changes. Older electronic muaic was mostly about timbre change, but people are branching out from that now.

So yea something has to repeat, but pretty much nobody likes to hear music in which every element is repetative.
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #31
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

What's the connection between lack of repetition and drones?
I don't get that at all.

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #32
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincock View Post
What's the connection between lack of repetition and drones?
I don't get that at all.

show me an extended composition without a single repeating element that isn't a drone or a field recording.

the moment you start to break up a drone with moments of silence, patterned repetition is almost inevitable. the mind imposes structure and perceives bits of patterned repetition even if it isn't there.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #33
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
So yea something has to repeat, but pretty much nobody likes to hear music in which every element is repetative.
i wish that were true.
we wouldn't have stupid house music if it were :-(
Old 05-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021076

aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #35
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
brooklyn

washing my ears.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #36
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021076

why did you press play in the first place?
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #37
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199649168
Thanked 4,998 Times in 3,212 Posts

I knew it was only a matter of time before gl0em dropped the Throbbing Gristle bomb.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #38
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
I knew it was only a matter of time before gl0em dropped the Throbbing Gristle bomb.

it's all i do as of lately.

god i hate everyone.
Thanks to g0lem
relic (05-07-2013)
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #39
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

OK. time for ole' relic to pull some creative writing tidbits out of his ass this morning...

make the strange familiar and the familiar strange -- that's pretty much my MO when it comes to writing poetry. I don't know how well I've translated that into my music personally, but hear me out.

This statement is about both balance and trickery--you want the audience to feel comfortable with something, but it's really a trick to keep them listening/reading until you pull some weird out of your sleeve. But then the weird thing kinda also has a familiarity to because of the way you began so they audience stays with you.

OR...you begin with something shockingly unfamiliar and hopefully the audience will be so stunned the read/listen a bit more until that strangeness fades away into something they recognize.

Either way, you've got the audience to listen to your track and to think "I see what you did there, bravo".

I'm going to be really honest. Music/writing that is just straight up weird with no conventions for me to hang my interests on doesn't do much for me. Music/writing that is just straight up cookie cutter, paint by numbers and totally familiar does nothing for me either.

I think there are a lot of people in this middle point and that's a good audience to address because they like a little bit of everything. Also, you will likely garner the approval of both the Philistines and the weirdos.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #40
Sincock
Master of the LFO
Sincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MCSincock is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 23251782

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post
show me an extended composition without a single repeating element that isn't a drone or a field recording.

the moment you start to break up a drone with moments of silence, patterned repetition is almost inevitable. the mind imposes structure and perceives bits of patterned repetition even if it isn't there.
When you say "a single repeating element" does that mean the same note can't be played more than once? Seems a bit of an extreme standpoint considering the topic under discussion.

A couple have already been mentioned i.e. Autechre's Anti EP

Perceived repetition isn't actually repetition.

I would also count some fugues by Bach, (most of "A Musical Offering" in fact), as non repeating unless you count playing a theme forwards and backwards as repetition.

Advertisements

------------------
Sincock is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote