melody arrangement question for making house
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
ilusi0nal
Learning The Ropes
ilusi0nal is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon5 melody arrangement question for making house

Hello,

I work on ableton and I have a project where the main melody is currently sitting at 5 bars. i know this is not typical from your 4 bar or 8 bar melody, but I cannot seem to translate this melody from the current 5 bar to 4 or 8 bars nicely.

My question is do any of you have experience with producing house tracks where the main melody was 5 bars, or any other non 4 or 8 bar value? Is it advised I should continue to leave it at 5 bars or work toward making it expand into 8 bars but still sound nice.

hope to hear from some of you soon cheers

Advertisements

ilusi0nal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110850
Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,421 Posts
Re: melody arrangement question for making house

If you want it to be 5 bars and like the sound of it, then make it 5 bars. Rules...... they're more like guidelines.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Rafaloffagus
Minor Glitch
Rafaloffagus will become famous soon enoughRafaloffagus will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
If you want it to be 5 bars and like the sound of it, then make it 5 bars. Rules...... they're more like guidelines.
You hit the nail on the head with that. Normally it'd be 4, 8, or 16 bars, but honestly you can do whatever the hell you want because it's YOUR track. Go nuts!
Rafaloffagus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8567130
Thanked 7,524 Times in 5,312 Posts

Im positive there is a way to make that work and still be dj friendly. What if the melody only resolves to the fifth bar occasionally ?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #5
DaveCNewton
Analog Lurker
DaveCNewton has a spectacular aura aboutDaveCNewton has a spectacular aura aboutDaveCNewton has a spectacular aura about
Manchester
MC Status: 210

Polyrhythm! using a melody in 5/4 against a backing in 4/4.

Both the melody and backing will come to a natural end after 20 bars, when you can then go into a new section and it still feel natural to the song.

20 bars is because 4/4 x 5 = 20 and 5/4 x 4 = 20.

The backing would have played 5 times and melody 4 times before they can conclude at the same place

------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DaveCNewton is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DaveCNewton
relic (05-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
caris
Regular Freak
caris will become famous soon enoughcaris will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I agree with what Dave says, that should work nicely, tho a 20 bar section might also be considered slightly odd, since typical sections would be 16, so you could consider taking the 5 bar melody and expanding it to 8 bars by adding 3 bars somewhere in the middle, you could repeat this and switch those 3 bars for something different to create a non repeating 16 bar section which still keeps the same theme and feel of your original 5 bars, since that is the repeated part. But like others have said, it's your track, so have fun ;-)
caris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
DoctaMario
Soundscaper
DoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MCDoctaMario is a savage MC
Ca$hville, TN
MC Status: 447799

I'd say you can keep the same melody but lengthen certain notes by a few beats, or find some way to shave 4 beats off if you're really that serious about making it symmetrical.

But I agree with trying to make it work within a 4/4 framework. It can be done. Maybe post a clip of it so we can hear it and make better suggestions?

Advertisements

DoctaMario is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote