Harmonic Remixing with Acapellas
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
buck.velvet
Learning The Ropes
buck.velvet is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Harmonic Remixing with Acapellas

I,m new to this board and look forward to using is it for its knowledge base. My question pertains to producing a remix of a vocal track. My music theory knowledge is a work in progress, so I typically buy midi packs with melodies, for my tracks......just to keep me going while my theory skills further develop. My questions are:

The acapella is in the key of F#min, consisting of a scale with the notes F#,G#,A,B,C#(Db),Eb,F,F#.

1. I recently came across the Camelot chart and was impressed by its simplicity, for use in harmonic mixing (FOR ME). Putting the The Circle of 5ths aside for a moment, can I utilize the Camelot Chart for a quick reference in choosing the key of compatible melodies to use.

i.e: My acapella is F#min, so a melody in the key of Amaj, Bmin, Db should be harmonically compatible?

2. Say you have a note/chord progression in the key of G# and it flows with the melody of the acapella. All of my melodies are in midi format, so can I shift the individual notes to play the same progression in the key of G#

i.e: Can i shift up the root note 2 semitones up?

I appreciate any feedback and look forward to exploring this forum.

Cheers,

Advertisements

buck.velvet is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
Triton64
IDMf Artist
Triton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MCTriton64 is a savage MC
Having fun
MC Status: 22350364
Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
Re: Harmonic Remixing with Acapellas

If your acapella is in F#min by shifting it up 2 semitones you will get G#min.

both keys have a lot of disimilarites between them, so its unlikely they will match.

also shifting it up will completely change the tonal quality of the voice unless you use melodyne.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
The more you keep up w the board the less you'll want the OP at the top every time you open a thread you've been following and / or active in.
Triton64 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck.velvet View Post
The acapella is in the key of F#min, consisting of a scale with the notes F#,G#,A,B,C#(Db),Eb,F,F#.

i.e: My acapella is F#min, so a melody in the key of Amaj, Bmin, Db should be harmonically compatible?
You could have some clashing tones depending on when you place the chord underneath the melody.

If the melody hits an F and you decide to use an A major chord at that time, you might not like it. (just try playing an A major chord and hit an F at the same time)

So I think it really depends on what notes are being used in the melody and at what point in time you want to put a certain chord underneath the melody. That F might not sound so bad with a Db major underneath.

You can take your chances but you might have a few spots where things sound really off.

Quote:
2. Say you have a note/chord progression in the key of G# and it flows with the melody of the acapella. All of my melodies are in midi format, so can I shift the individual notes to play the same progression in the key of G#
If your melody can be "fitted" into one major scale and your progression is in a major key, or if it can be fitted into one minor scale and your progression is in a minor key, then you can use relative transposition to try moving a melody into it.

1. Find what key your melody is in
2. Find the interval between that key and the key your progression is in
3. Shift every note by that interval

Let's say you have a melody like A C# D B E
That melody is (probably) in A major
To move it into G# you would move every note down 1 halfstep (semitone), because G# is 1 halfstep below A major
So your new melody is G# C C# A# D#

As before, you can do this transposition without going through each part of the melody and each part of your chord progression and seeing how they line up. But you might have a few spots where things sound really off.

good luck
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
arpeggio_junkie
Soundscaper
arpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of lightarpeggio_junkie is a glorious beacon of light
San Diego, California
MC Status: 510

Quote:
...I typically buy midi packs with melodies, for my tracks......just to keep me going while my theory skills further develop.
Why not quit wasting your time and money and actually just go develop your "theory skills" by making some melodies by ear? It's all practice. Studying music theory isn't going to teach you how to make music. Music theory will only constrain your thinking; making you believe there are rules that must be followed -- there aren't! Music theory is really an after-the-fact activity for studying a song you heard and want to try analyze it. If you attain a trained ear, you won't need any theory.

Advertisements

arpeggio_junkie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote