Tips for a beginner
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Breakcore / Breakbeat / Drum & Bass Discussion of music similar to Noisia, Amon Tobin, Venetian Snares, Prodigy.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
alienpet
IDMf's latest spammer
alienpet is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Tips for a beginner

Hi every1 I'm a breakcore beginner and I'd like to have some tips from the pros for mastering and beat creating. Thanks.

Advertisements

alienpet is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45979398
Thanked 1,471 Times in 1,100 Posts
Re: Tips for a beginner

using unusually high bpms but sequencing it so that its really at halftime i.e. using 350bpm but making it sound like 175bpm (it makes it easier to subdivide and sequence 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 notes) and layering simple rhythms on top of each other i.e 4/4 against 13/8, or conversly using trackers and playing around with the ticks per beat

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Br/ainfu+ked
Parricide (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269486508
Thanked 3,258 Times in 2,141 Posts

Use a tracker like Renoise andgo mad with retrigger effects!

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18054269
Thanked 1,085 Times in 819 Posts

i like making random edits without listening and recording random things i do, then picking out the parts i like.
micro edits are old, but still cool.
download a load of amens (or make your own) then chop the fuck out of them and re-arrange parts.
in general small little stab sounds and drum hits work wonders, again, semi-randomly placed can cause happy accidents a lot too.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:37 PM   #5
Vault O)))
Retard Boy
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 70310
Thanked 1,406 Times in 911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienpet View Post
Hi every1 I'm a breakcore beginner and I'd like to have some tips from the pros for mastering and beat creating. Thanks.
I'm not a pro, but you might want to put the beat creating waaaay before the mastering. There are loads of good YT tutorials and even tutorial threads on IDMF to get you started in your DAW of choice. Check the tutorials section

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
Iyashi Sound
Master of the LFO
Iyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MCIyashi Sound is a savage MC
MC Status: 21660

About making beats:

Even if your focus is on making extreme breaks, I recommend you spend some of your time studying classic rhythms like a regular drummer would. Whether you tap your fingers on cardboard or buy a full drum-set is less important, - the important part is that you start to get a hands-on feel for the classic beats and what makes them work.

Using drum samples in extreme ways (too crazy for any real drummer to play) is fine, - but if you don't understand the way basic rhythms work (and how to play them), then it's easy to loose your way into random chaos. If that happens, tightening stuff up with tricks from real drumming can almost always help you get your ass back on the funky path.

Best wishes.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
liquid_air (10-11-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:11 AM   #7
Mark Ames
Soundwave Mangler
Mark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond reputeMark Ames has a reputation beyond repute
Ventura County California
MC Status: 2110

Tap 1 2 3 4 and repeat for a long time until you start to hear voices.... then pick a voice you like. And play with that...
Mark Ames is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mark Ames
Parricide (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #8
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 38110

Finish the track
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mnkvolcno
Parricide (12-08-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Red-man
Granular Poster
Red-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant futureRed-man has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1660

One great tip I heard from online was that Venetian Snares said he would take a breakbeat then trace it using midi notes, then save the midi note sequence, and just apply whatever drum samples he wanted to the midi notes. That way he could have loads of drum sequences pre-saved as midi files and just past in new drums sounds as he went along. Would make your workflow faster. And if you wanted you could then apply a load of samples to the same midi note and set them to trigger only one at a time but at random, so you could have a selection of like 20 different snares all triggering randomly. Same with the kicks, same with the hats, as well. Load of variations from the one midi sequence.
Red-man is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #10
fade thomas
Minor Glitch
fade thomas will become famous soon enough
south aus
MC Status: 60

If you reference your track to a song of a similar genre turning the reference track down by 10db is a good range to go by when mixing.

Trust your ears then your eyes

Advertisements

fade thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote