[TECHNO] RAKSTAED - RUDEBUTSTRICT
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 05-08-2018, 04:26 AM   #1
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
slugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond repute
Tampere
MC Status: 3810
[TECHNO] RAKSTAED - RUDEBUTSTRICT

Good day fellow forum users! Been having a little down time making music lately. Last night we had lan party with good friend and made some techno music. My buddy concentrated on tinkering with maschine and I was working in renoise. Technically it is not mixed yet. Anyway, take a listen and share your thoughts if you have some

Just for fun!

EDIT: Time for a link update

EDIT2: Link updated again

Latest version of the tune:

There may be too much going on at some parts but I still think this is going somewhere. dirty

Last edited by slugvision; 08-09-2018 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: New Link

Advertisements

------------------
<a href=https://slugvision.wordpress.com/ target=_blank>https://slugvision.wordpress.com/</a>
slugvision is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [TECHNO] RAKSTAED - RUDEBUTSTRICT.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
Creepr
IDMf Artist
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 8860
Re: [TECHNO] RAKSTAED - RUDEBUTSTRICT

K the 2nd half after the break is better than the first. Sounds really big-beat to me, the bass is straight out of a Propellerhead track. The drums are the same throughout, but the rest of the bass and stuff, you should either mix them together more (the acid stuff in the 1st half and the subby bassline i the 2nd) or just pick one to go with. The drum change up at 2:50ish is awesome. If you are going for a real techno feel, it gets a bit too break-beat near the end. It just comes off really "On her majesty's secret service"/ "Take California" to me. (great tracks, not techno).

There, hope that is what you were looking for. It is at any rate what you got.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
slugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond reputeslugvision has a reputation beyond repute
Tampere

Thanks for the listen Creepr and good afternoon(GMT +3)! The second part is arranged and quickly pre-mixed by me(about 1:00 ->) and the first part is my friend's part of the same project. Samples we used are same troughout the clip altough there comes some pad and percussion towards ending. Our intention is first to get the structure of the song, at least roughly finished and after that focus in sounds and the mix. Still kinda seeking our way to collaborate, since this was the first time we made music together. My friend likes to make more breaks-kinda stuff and currently I'm on a techno/house phase(but I've done quite a lot of jungle too). So in princible we're about to make combination of tech and jungle or whatever our subconcious happens to toss out(dunno did I wrote that right). if it sounds good. It is good.

I agree I got a little too enthusiastic with distortion of the breaks at end of the song

Appreciate you for sharing your thoughts

------------------
<a href=https://slugvision.wordpress.com/ target=_blank>https://slugvision.wordpress.com/</a>
Old 25-08-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
Tampere

There is a new version for listening in the OP

------------------
Old 08-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
Tampere

New mix! Replaced in the starting post

------------------
Old 08-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Creepr
IDMf Artist
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 8860

clip those first few seconds there. it has been so long since I heard the first version I cannot easily compare, but here are my thoughts on the current version: the panning is too hard on the percussion sounds, and the distortion on the bass is all the way on the right...sounds odd. The jungly drums are nice, but rather buried in the mix. the two parts of the track are still very distinct. The guitar and the super dirty synth stabs in the last 3rd are fighting with each other and cover the other elements from the first 3rd you brought back. Nice work all told, keep at it.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
BentAtoms
Granular Poster
BentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant future
Vancouver, BC
MC Status: 1510

You've definitely got some cool parts in here, mostly the distorted bass sounds. It reminds me a lot more of Justice-style electro house than techno, but it definitely sounds like you had fun making it.

That said, it's pretty hard to draw a conclusion from what you have hear. The riffs are cool, but overall it sounds like an early-90's home recording on cassette tape through a boombox's microphone. I think it needs a proper mixdown to give any real meaningful feedback on it.

I'm not sure what your skill level is for mixing, and I know this was just meant to be a fun project, so if I'm being a dick, please feel free to ignore my advice. Here are my suggestions:

- Get a reference track.
- Do some proper subtractive EQing on things and carve space for the elements, particularly in the low-mids and sub. You have many, many sounds down there, all fighting for space, and the result is 1) none of them can be heard at all, and 2) it robs the track of any of its power.
- Spend time getting the relative volumes sitting right. I'm not sure what your monitoring setup is like, but to my hears your pads and kick are too quiet, your hats are bit too loud, and volume between sections doesn't quite line up.
- Since it's basically an electro house tune, use subtle (subtle!) side-chaining as necessary to carve out some time-domain space for the drum transients, and make some space in the sub for the kick bodies (they're getting completely buried; it robs the tune of basically all its power).
- I'd say lose the panning. It's electro house; if it's played out, it'll be played on a mono system. At this point, I would recommend you mono the master and just mix like that until you get things sounding good (after that, I'd recommend things like a stereo widener, doubling your parts, etc.).

In terms of the different sections, I think you should really pay attention to the volume for that section you have in the middle (2:30 - 3:30). Structurally, it sounds like a buildup, but it's got the loudest volume of the whole track. That results in the part that feels like it should be the drop (at ~3:30) has almost zero effect, as the whole track gets quieter there.

I also think the biggest weakness, arrangement-wise, is the drum patterns. They feel like they haven't been thought about, at all. With a bit of care and attention to detail, you could add a lot more life in just by switching up the hi-hat samples at the right place, using an extra layer and hocketing patterns together, or just adding the occasional crash cymbal. Again, that section from 2:30-3:30 really stands out, because the drums don't play with the riff at all (the riff only really emphasizes the downbeat, but your drums are playing 4x4. It feels like the two players aren't listening to each other).

Right, hope that helps. Again, I don't want to rain on your parade! Your enthusiasm is evident in the track its self, even without reading your post! It's just also really hard to accurately judge it without a proper mixdown (and if you're really new to mixing, as it kinda sounds, don't sweat it. It takes a really long time)
BentAtoms is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #8
slugvision
Knob Twiddler
Tampere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepr View Post
clip those first few seconds there. it has been so long since I heard the first version I cannot easily compare, but here are my thoughts on the current version: the panning is too hard on the percussion sounds, and the distortion on the bass is all the way on the right...sounds odd. The jungly drums are nice, but rather buried in the mix. the two parts of the track are still very distinct. The guitar and the super dirty synth stabs in the last 3rd are fighting with each other and cover the other elements from the first 3rd you brought back. Nice work all told, keep at it.
Mixing distorted guitars is not easy and I'm currently learning to do it. I agree there is some serious masking issues in middle- and last parts, I got them a bit clearer in the new mix(I updated the starting post again). I've been using distortion more and more in my sounds lately and I think I'm getting close achieving the sound that I'm after.

BenAtoms I'll check your post later no time to answer right now. Thanks for the listen

Thanks for the comments

------------------
Old 13-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
nostromer
IDMf Artist
nostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MC
Salt Lake City
MC Status: 341894

It's definitely a pretty neat approach. I liked the bass in the beginning - it seems like this track has a slight identity crisis. There's a lot of evolution but nothing really reprises tone-wise and shifts quite a bit. Sounds like there's a tad too much filter on the mix itself.. but with a good mixdown and some proper mastering I think this would sound massive.

Well done!

------------------
c i p h e r to c y b e r i a
nostromer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #10
HouseDept
IDMf's latest spammer
HouseDept is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

It's got good elements but it lacks structure. That's my honest opinion.

Advertisements

HouseDept is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote