Focus
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 06-08-2018, 12:48 AM   #1
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544877
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,364 Posts
Focus

Why can't I focus in the studio the same way I can in the airport?

I've been here for about 13 hours (dont ask) and I have the bulk of a Neon Cities track written. At home there is NO WAY I'd be able to do this.

Perhaps its the single focus aspect of programming 100% in the box. I mean, I'm using the mouse only no controllers and all AU's for sound sources...

Maybe I just dislike small talk THAT much (having tattoo's and carrying around a pelican case always makes for questions about what i do etc)

Either way, new tune is going to be a banger and 80% of the parts are in place.

I dunno. I need more discipline when I'm working w all of my hardware....

Anyone else find specific environments really good for getting some serious writing done?

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:57 AM   #2
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 38060
Re: Focus

I do all my work at home, but I do my best when I only have like 15 minutes and then I'm not going to get back to my DAW for 3 days and I know it. That's when I'll crank out a phattass beat and the best bassline of my life, then get down the chords and the melody I need to go over it in one shot, and every patch I pull up just works. Then I come back and mix it like a week later and go wtf how did I do this.

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #3
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 189060
Thanked 3,781 Times in 2,238 Posts

At home, you're at home. Your "headspace" spreads all over your physical space, the environment you're in control of is much greater and your mind will naturally wander a bit more.

At the airport, though, you have EVERY reason to close in and confine your existence to the little world of your brain+your daw and forget everything else about the physica; space you're stuck in while you wait for your flight.

If I had to put on a fake psychologist's coat for a minute, that would be my explanation.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
Iyashi Sound (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589280
Thanked 7,967 Times in 5,599 Posts

Been trying to come up with anything to say in response to this. At the moment the only thing I can +1 is working faster when working 100% ITB. I'm 2-3 times faster working all ITB.

As for the different environment, when I was writing my master's thesis (a 60 page book of poetry) I found it usual to get out of the house and write in different places. The I often found that some of the environment's characteristics found its way into the work. Airports are a weird place where public and private spaces overlap a lot. So yea, I can see your hyper focus coming in handy as a way to carve out a little private space and not have to engage in small talk.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
chasedobson (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #5
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544877
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,364 Posts

so basically I'm going to go ahead and start spending loads of time in train stations and airports. you know, for my music.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 PM   #6
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45979398
Thanked 1,471 Times in 1,100 Posts

everyone is different I usually go on a music making binder and just get lost in the moment, more often than not when I have a free hour that free hour becomes two or three and then I wind up forgetting to take care of stuff, I guess it stems from what options you have at the moment, i.e should I do my homework or make music..so...
-\_0_/-

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35810

Sounds like a good excuse to try an focus your setup at home and maybe shrink down/ switch gear around.
In the aim of becoming more focused. Or to find renewed “inspiration”.

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
Vault O)))
Retard Boy
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 70310
Thanked 1,406 Times in 911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
so basically I'm going to go ahead and start spending loads of time in train stations and airports. you know, for my music.
Maybe you just need to do so in places where the only alternative to making music is to suffer the wrath of boredom / small talk. If my choices were to talk to someone about the weather or pretend like I'm too busy to be bothered, I'd write an album if I had to.

Also, for me it's easy to get distracted / overly relaxed at home and you might be the same way. I could be working on some track, sipping a can of beer and then somehow discover I've been looking at boobs for like 30 minutes and the track has somehow deleted itself / Live is somehow magically uninstalled. I heard they frown upon getting drunk and jerking off at the airport

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
ms_ (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #9
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 135160
Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I could be working on some track, sipping a can of beer and then somehow discover I've been looking at boobs for like 30 minutes and the track has somehow deleted itself / Live is somehow magically uninstalled.
a true modern classic tale. All of that just because you were sipping some beer. You better start drinking something else, like carrot juice. I imagine you have a big red button under your desk that just nukes entire house.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Vault O))) (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 05:52 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8589280
Thanked 7,967 Times in 5,599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I heard they frown upon getting drunk and jerking off at the airport

Are you sure you've actually been to an airport? At least one of those things is certainly not frowned upon, and I bet the other one happens an awful lot...

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:46 AM   #11
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 20910

You know how some writers like to go out to coffee places or some shit when they work? Maybe it's similar to that, maybe that's why they do it, it helps them focus or whatever. I thought it was just to be a posh writer person but maybe there's a better reason besides looking cool for strangers.

------------------
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
fidelium
IDMf's Asshole
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
New Orleans
MC Status: 90550420
Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,166 Posts

once you figure out where you are most productive you need to make arrangements to be there more often.

guess you're that dude who hangs out at airports.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
youre our asshole
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 01:27 AM   #13
BentAtoms
Granular Poster
BentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant futureBentAtoms has a brilliant future
Vancouver, BC
MC Status: 1510

I dunno about working in public spaces, but +1 for speed writing being really effective.

Some friends and I used to do these challenges where you had to write as many tracks as you can in three hours (we usually aimed for about six). We were allowed to pick some instruments and a drum kit beforehand, but we had to do all the writing in that span. I definitely came up with some ideas I really liked.
BentAtoms is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18054269
Thanked 1,085 Times in 819 Posts

i get great ideas when im anywhere but in the studio, then when i actually finally get 5 minutes in the studio all my ideas are gone. its a sad story

i think its because im forcing it when im in the studio, but when my mind is doing its own thing and im "relaxed" my brain is free to play.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 03:41 AM   #15
Vault O)))
Retard Boy
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 70310
Thanked 1,406 Times in 911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
guess you're that dude who hangs out at airports.
At least it's not playgrounds. You can get by with airport creativity

Advertisements

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Parricide (20-08-2018)