A Beginners guide to Electronic Music Production - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 21-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #41
T-REn
Granular Poster
T-REn is currently spamming hard
Kuala Lumpur
MC Status: 10
Re: A Beginners guide to Electronic Music Production

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky TNP View Post
I sold it for half price, I just wanted to get rid of them. They didnt distort, not at all, they were crystal clear, but the whole frequency response was absolute crap. The mids were way too loud, the highs were harsh, and the lows all had the exact same compressed, artificial sound. They wouldnt translate well to any other speakers either.
Theyre good headphones, just not for mixing. I still wonder if I just got a bunk pair, but I like my current headphones, I dont feel a need to go and try the ATH-M50's again
If its true what you are saying. This headphone is only good for casual listening and not for monitoring. Oh man almost bought it. The price quiet expensive here in malaysia(import tax).

I will look into other headphone like beyer,denon and etc

Anyone else feel ATH-M50 is not good for monitoring ???

Advertisements

T-REn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #42
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt
ajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

looks like a lot of people are looking for cheap beginner midi controllers - one i just bought is the alesis q49:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

i picked it up for 75$ on amazon. the full-size keys are a huge plus. when you're just starting out, all you need is something functional. you still have some noticable latency and you don't get any other features other than a keyboard, but you can't really beat a full sized keyboard for that price.

there's also the QX49 which has some filters and pads to load samples on and the like

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

i think i saw that one on amazon for 130. also a great price for what you get. check em out!
ajdangles is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #43
crackmontage
raptor badger
crackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MCcrackmontage is a savage MC
sminap MN
MC Status: 434781

Shouldn't there be something in here about actually composing music? Unless you don't use MIDI, or are mostly into noise, composition is a HUGE component to electronic music.

Isn't it at least worth mentioning you can pretty much apply an A and a B section and a format such as ABBAB to most composed songs?

Or maybe... the fact that chords exist, generally in groups of 3 notes consisting of the root or 1, the 3 and the 5? And that the bass generally plays the root?

------------------

crackmontage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 07:05 AM   #44
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt
ajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackmontage View Post
Shouldn't there be something in here about actually composing music? Unless you don't use MIDI, or are mostly into noise, composition is a HUGE component to electronic music.

Isn't it at least worth mentioning you can pretty much apply an A and a B section and a format such as ABBAB to most composed songs?

Or maybe... the fact that chords exist, generally in groups of 3 notes consisting of the root or 1, the 3 and the 5? And that the bass generally plays the root?
I think this thread is more about the setup you'd need to begin to produce, i mean obviously having some musical knowledge goes without saying. For me personally, when I started "producing," a big speed bump was just learning how to use FL studio and VSTs and the like.. i didn't even know what a mixer really was, let alone how to use it - I remember assigning my first channel to a free mixer track and feeling so clever.

I'd played drums and piano all my life before I got into producing, so the basic musical knowledge and sense of rhythm or what have you wasn't a big of a problem as figuring out how to make the DAW make the sounds you wanted. And I think it's the same for a lot of people - I would think that the majority of people played some type of analog or "Real" instrument before they began to produce.
Old 23-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #45
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchboy View Post
A mixer is useless. The only useful things are monitors.

Anything else except monitors you can recreate with a software.
False.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D_Davis
Jazzyspoon (24-01-2013)
Old 23-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #46
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchboy View Post
A mixer is useless. The only useful things are monitors.

Anything else except monitors you can recreate with a software.
Not useless. You can do without it but it's convenient if you have one.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #47
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityMonkeys View Post
i need an external mixer and a midi keyboard controller EDM why u so spensive to make!!
It's really no more expensive than any other instrument if you think about it.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #48
AdiZ
Regular Freak
AdiZ is currently spamming hard
Edmonton

I have monitor speakers already that I use for producing music. Why exactly would I need studio headphones ?
AdiZ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #49
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiZ View Post
I have monitor speakers already that I use for producing music. Why exactly would I need studio headphones ?
You don't need them. Unless you're after another reference source, but for that regular headphones are fine. I do find though, that for sound design and micro-editing - I prefer using headphones, as it's easier to 'zoom in' on the material.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #50
Phat Mastering
Regular Freak
Phat Mastering is currently spamming hard
London

Great Great Post.

Watch out about using headphones as your main monitors though. Really a no budget worst case scenario.
Phat Mastering is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #51
djdonnyuk
Minor Glitch
djdonnyuk is currently spamming hard

a really good first starting production sortware to start with???
djdonnyuk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #52
Phat Mastering
Regular Freak
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdonnyuk View Post
Ableton is our favorite.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #53
Kazee
Learning The Ropes
Kazee is currently spamming hard
Hamilton

All you essentially need is a DAW, a couple VST Plugins (Massive, Sylenth, Nexus), a decent laptop, and decent monitor headphones... You can use your keyboard as your "Midi" Controller if need be..

Well, in ableton you can...

My setup is alittle over the top, but it works very well

Ableton Live 9
Launchpad
Traktor S4
Maschine Mk2
Rockit 5 Monitors
M-Audio Radium 49 Midi Keyboard
Macbook Pro

The system works very well
Kazee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #54
velqn
Microknight
velqn has a spectacular aura aboutvelqn has a spectacular aura aboutvelqn has a spectacular aura about
Sofia
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdonnyuk View Post
If you use PC: Try FL Studio or Ableton Live. I personally use FL Studio more, I am attached to it. Ableton Live is no worse, it`s perfect too.

If you use Mac OS X then check out Logic (was owned by Emag now Apple) or again.. guess what... Ableton Live
velqn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #55
cherisupyon
Regular Freak
cherisupyon is currently spamming hard
My House

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiZ View Post
for me using headphones better than regular speakers also to avoid any sounds distractions from enviroment but it also depends on the speakers and headphones quality.
cherisupyon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #56
Phat Mastering
Regular Freak
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherisupyon View Post
for me using headphones better than regular speakers also to avoid any sounds distractions from enviroment but it also depends on the speakers and headphones quality.
Be careful about using headphones solely for mixing. Remember in almost all listening environments sound needs to travel from the speaker to the listeners ears so there is always a small natural delay. Making mixing decisions through headphones eliminates this by having direct monitoring with 0 delay.

Just a thought.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #57
AStateOfTrance
Microknight
AStateOfTrance will become famous soon enough
Scotland
MC Status: 60
Re: The Hardware Thread

Noob question, What hardware (if any) should I buy?
All I have is my laptop and headphones, nothing else.
I feel I am missing out ?
AStateOfTrance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #58
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStateOfTrance View Post
Noob question, What hardware (if any) should I buy?
All I have is my laptop and headphones, nothing else.
I feel I am missing out ?
Well, you could get some monitors so you can compose without the headphones. As for a hardware instrument, play around with some synths and groove boxes sometime if you can find them.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #59
AStateOfTrance
Microknight
AStateOfTrance will become famous soon enough
Scotland
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich View Post
Well, you could get some monitors so you can compose without the headphones. As for a hardware instrument, play around with some synths and groove boxes sometime if you can find them.
Dont mind using headphones tbh, plus I would have to treat my room to get a good setup with monitors.
Should I buy a midi controller ? I have heard a lot of people say that it is really useful.
AStateOfTrance is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #60
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47860

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStateOfTrance View Post
Should I buy a midi controller ? I have heard a lot of people say that it is really useful.
Definitely. I'll let others suggest a brand/type. I am using hardware keyboards right now exclusively and haven't really liked creating notes on the computer so far. I think the controller is a good way to bridge that gap.

Advertisements

Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote