IDMf 049 One Synth Challenge Officially Open - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 18-12-2017, 05:07 AM   #41
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564930
Thanked 7,480 Times in 5,280 Posts
Re: IDMf 049 One Synth Challenge Officially Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Why not make it real simple? Primary oscillators/Sound sources must be single cycle waveforms only (sine, tri, saw, pulse). That’s what most hardware is, anyway. No granular synths. Also, VST jocks, unless you pony up in excess of $8,000, your hardware synth is rather unlikely to have more than 12 voice polyphony with more than pitch, amp, filter, and maybe two utility envelopes, two LFOs per voice.

Also, keep in mind that a popular production technique with hardware is to record sessions and then sample/loop the best parts. You know, when there is that fleeting alignment of resonances that gives you goosebumps and you later spend hours to try to recreate until you give up in frustration. You’ll be happy you had your reel running (virtual or a real Reel-2-Reel, you lucky bastard).
To your first point, that is why I suggested just going with a literal virtual analog synth. While I'm 110% willing to admit some clarification was needed initially, if a person can't figure what is acceptable and what isn't at this juncture, don't submit. If one has to ask, "does this crazy ass 1280 voice 27 oscillators of god soft synth OK?" kindly see yourself out.

I'm also happy to restrict this further if needed and tell people they can only use one hardware synth or one software version of a hardware synth (there are plenty of free/common-inexpensive ones out there).

As for your second point. People are free to use their DAWs and FX vsts as they choose, which hardly makes this a "challenge" at all in my mind. Chopping and arranging audio on the time line of your DAW is pretty much like getting to use the most complicated sampler/multi track recorder ever.

And as for SampleTank in your MPC as mentioned earlier--we already ruled out samplers. (again, using your DAW is basically like a giant super mutant sampler anyway).

I know you get it liquid_air and I appreciate the suggestions. I am admittedly frustrated (in general, not by you) and that isn't anyone's fault but mine for being vague in the OP.

I hope everything is clear now for everyone. But if you really do have a question, anyone at all, I'm happy to keep answering and clarifying.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 05:33 AM   #42
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64160
Thanked 1,283 Times in 946 Posts

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: I'm just pulling your leg.

Now, if someone pulls this off using an additive synth as the only synth, (s)he is welcome to use as many sinewave oscillators as needed. That'd be more like the 1028 oscillator synth from hell - well, to me at least.

EDIT: oh, and, fuck you for not allowing me to use my Avalon as a second synth. Unfair!

Last edited by liquid_air; 18-12-2017 at 06:10 AM..

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
relic (18-12-2017)
Old 18-12-2017, 06:25 AM   #43
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Haha. Right on. :p

Just use the Avalon only!!!

------------------
Old 18-12-2017, 06:32 AM   #44
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

It kind of doesnít do percussion. Like, at all.

------------------

Old 18-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #45
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 110500
Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,417 Posts

Excuse me while I run out and buy a [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
relic (18-12-2017)
Old 18-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #47
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Thank you! I think these may help clarify. When I get the chance I'll edit those into the OP.

------------------
Thanks to relic
Dr. Sleaze (18-12-2017)
Old 18-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #48
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360

: So it's OK of we use more than one mono-synth for the challenge?

I suppose the rule wouldn't apply to mono-synths, - since they're not really synths if you think about it. I was actually beginning to fear we would only be allowed to use one mono as well, so I really appreciate that you found these examples!

They should probably change the name of the competition though, since it kind of makes it look like you can only use one synth.
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #49
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post

I suppose the rule wouldn't apply to mono-synths, - since they're not really synths if you think about it. I was actually beginning to fear we would only be allowed to use one mono as well, so I really appreciate that you found these examples!

They should probably change the name of the competition though, since it kind of makes it look like you can only use one synth.
You can only use ONE synth. You can record as many sounds as you like from it. It can be a poly synth. You can record 1,001 patches/sequences/sounds from your ONE synth. Whatever it takes to get your song done. All sounds must come from a single source, the synth you choose.

Also, how in the actual fuck is a monosynth "not really a synth"?

Last edited by relic; 18-12-2017 at 06:42 PM..

------------------
Old 18-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #50
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post

Not gonna touch the mono synth thing since that's absolutely absurd.
But you didn't watch the videos? They are all made with one synth, tracked out to make all the sounds.
And you could layer a mono synth to make it a poly in a sampler.
Just a really odd comment imo.
Not trying to be harsh or anything I just don't understand where you are coming from on this one.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #51
Iyashi Sound
Knob Twiddler
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9360

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Also, how in the actual fuck is a monosynth "not really a synth"?
I couldn't resist pulling your leg. Sorry. I think the rules have been made thoroughly clear at this point
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #52
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Ok, so we can only use one single monophonic synth as the sole sound source for any and all sounds. And it must be hardware or an emulation thereof.

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
Iyashi Sound (18-12-2017)
Old 18-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #53
Automageddon
Administrator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269478808
Thanked 3,104 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Ok, so we can only use one single monophonic synth as the sole sound source for any and all sounds. And it must be hardware or an emulation thereof.
Polysynth will be fine too, nothing against chords.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
A.M (18-12-2017)
Old 18-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #54
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

As I understood, it doesn't have to be a hardware emulation. Any VA synth is cool , as long as the synths' possibilities are similar to 'classic' hardware synths. No granular oscillators or smt like that.

Seems like there'll be quite a few people using the A4^^

Last edited by Schnork; 18-12-2017 at 08:16 PM..

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
relic (18-12-2017)
Old 18-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #55
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
As I understood, it doesn't have to be a hardware emulation. Any VA synth is coom , as long as the synths' possibilities are similar to 'classic' hardware synths. No granular oscillators or smt like that.

Seems like there'll be quite a few people using the A4^^
Yes. Hardware emulation is NOT a requirement. Just an example of an easy way to go to stay within the rules.

(The A4 cult rises! one of us! one of us! one of us!)

------------------
Thanks to relic
Schnork (19-12-2017)
Old 18-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #56
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
Polysynth will be fine too, nothing against chords.
Crowd pleaser. Before you realize it, youíll be making EDM. Stop the madness

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
lolirl (19-12-2017)
Old 18-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #57
Dr. Sleaze
IDMf Artist
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 9110

Couple more tracks. this time polyphonic.
Roland JX-3P

Korg Minilogue:

------------------
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #58
djoxygen
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
djoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MCdjoxygen is a savage MC
Fuck you nosy cunt... lol USA
MC Status: 9390679

iím gonna do my best to submit something for this even tho i dont have a work space to work on. but if i get a good result iíll submit!

------------------
>>>DJ OXYGEN<<<
>>>JOIN OR DIE<<<

"and the decades of what appears to have been unnecessary fearmongering"
djoxygen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #59
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

Btw, how do people get this neat 'IDMf Artist' banner under the user name?

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
lolirl (19-12-2017)
Old 19-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #60
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744043741
Thanked 7,526 Times in 4,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Btw, how do people get this neat 'IDMf Artist' banner under the user name?
Very good point.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote