Allo !
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Introduce Yourself Say hello to our other members. Give us a little about yourself and what you're interested in. Tell us about the music you like to make and listen to.

Old 28-07-2018, 01:30 AM   #1
mevla
IDMf's latest spammer
mevla is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Allo !

Hello,

I'm doing music since some time now, as a hobby, not as a career, something else ... the sounds, the harmonies, the beats, that one makes. There's something transcending matter. Or maybe not

About two years ago I decided to be more serious about it, with a goal of putting out some 'serious' material out there for people to get into, eventually. So I started to learn about mixing. And I got software to go along. DAW, synths, audio plugins ... all running in Linux !

I am now using Bitwig for creation and Harrison Mixbus32C for mixing/mastering. I also use Windows plugins in Linux to broaden the sound palette and processing.

I do my stuff. Literally. It can take many forms, but it's me. Might sound bizarre, if not corny, to state that although the output so far on Soundcloud, when I step back and take a listen, is pretty varied but out of those different forms emerges something.

Soundcloud is where I put out my creations while still learning how to mix and master and hone production chops.

As a newcomer to IDM is there a piece I can link to that would represent me ? I'm afraid there's none.

So I might as well choose the one I'm listening to while I'm writing this. It's a spacey one, maybe fitting for a moon eclipse

(Well, it looks like I can't put a link as a newcomer, ah well, I would have liked so dearly to share a track. After all, sharing is part of making music ... maybe later)

Cheers !

Advertisements

mevla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 12:15 PM   #2
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18051569
Thanked 1,031 Times in 778 Posts
Re: Allo !

welcome to the family.
who says an artist has to have one sound and stick with it? do your thing, whatever it might be.

i remember when i started out and all my tracks were about 15 mins long and changed massively about 4 times throughout the track. i knew it was odd but deemed it necessary for the "story line", now i realise that i was trying to put together multiple ideas at once which should have been across different tracks. at least yours are different tracks

you will enjoy it here if you can get past the sarcasm and bad taste humour that makes this place so uniquely amazing.
watch out for the "you" tag.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 217310
Thanked 4,346 Times in 3,224 Posts

Hi and welcome to IDMf.

There's a few "rules" in place on here, that help keep this place running smoothly..and needing to make a certain number of "meaningful" posts before you can post links in one of them.

Read the forum rules here..be as active as you can..post often..and have fun.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #4
brainrust
IDMf's latest spammer
brainrust is currently spamming hard
Gifhorn, Germany

Hi, I've been looking for a forum like this for a while. I got into electronic/experimental music back in the early 80s with Einstürzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Skinny Puppy and Legendary Pink Dots. I'm now an old man, but I still love making that old old noise. I have a lot of "releases", and if anyone is interested (and maybe even not, we'll see), I can provide Soundcloud links. I'm not trying to make money, just want to share what I've created with other like-minded people, so give me a shout. I do everything myself and keep it as low tech as I can.
brainrust is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18051569
Thanked 1,031 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrust View Post
Hi, I've been looking for a forum like this for a while. I got into electronic/experimental music back in the early 80s with Einstürzende Neubauten, Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Skinny Puppy and Legendary Pink Dots. I'm now an old man, but I still love making that old old noise. I have a lot of "releases", and if anyone is interested (and maybe even not, we'll see), I can provide Soundcloud links. I'm not trying to make money, just want to share what I've created with other like-minded people, so give me a shout. I do everything myself and keep it as low tech as I can.
welcome to you too.
you're already doing well to consolidate two introduction threads into one

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
Mark Ames
Microknight
Mark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud of
Ventura County California
MC Status: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevla View Post
Hello,

I do my stuff. Literally. It can take many forms, but it's me. Might sound bizarre, if not corny, to state that although the output so far on Soundcloud, when I step back and take a listen, is pretty varied but out of those different forms emerges something.

Soundcloud is where I put out my creations while still learning how to mix and master and hone production chops.

As a newcomer to IDM is there a piece I can link to that would represent me ? I'm afraid there's none.

So I might as well choose the one I'm listening to while I'm writing this. It's a spacey one, maybe fitting for a moon eclipse

(Well, it looks like I can't put a link as a newcomer, ah well, I would have liked so dearly to share a track. After all, sharing is part of making music ... maybe later)

Cheers !
Welcome!

Interesting...you say your stuff is "pretty varied" and then ask for a piece that "...would represent ...me..." I can relate to an output that is "pretty varied" BUT!!! I can't even pick a piece of MY stuff that "...would represent ...me..."

So... it makes me wonder... are you talking about "Genre" or "Style" or maybe "Influences and Roots?" or using various types of "Equipment, Instrumentation, Technique?"

My guess is that by "varied" you mean you are surprised by the variety of what you hear from your own stuff when you finally commit and publish to Soundcloud. Which means you are an "Explorer" and still looking for a "Style"

I can relate to that as well... try this...Commit to a genre for several several pieces, and then try another genre, and another. After a while you will notice the "tools and tricks" that you resort to no matter what genre you are working in. That would be your "Style." Once you've discovered your "Style" try breaking away from that... very challenging but you will learn a lot!

The other interesting thing is how you settled on "So I might as well choose the one I'm listening to while I'm writing this. It's a spacey one, maybe fitting for a moon eclipse "

Yep..definitely an "Explorer" Enjoy the journey!
Mark Ames is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:37 AM   #7
mevla
IDMf's latest spammer
mevla is currently spamming hard

Yes, this is a great problem for me. I can output all kinds of varied music/moods. At times it can be quite tranquil, at other times quite busy. And it all seems so natural. I do not think about it. At least not yet. Very difficult to apply a so-called brand. I guess it shows that it's still evolving, still developing. Does having a 'brand' means one has attained something in musical expression ? Cheers.
mevla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 04:57 AM   #8
Mark Ames
Microknight
Mark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud ofMark Ames has much to be proud of
Ventura County California
MC Status: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by mevla View Post
Yes, this is a great problem for me. I can output all kinds of varied music/moods. At times it can be quite tranquil, at other times quite busy. And it all seems so natural. I do not think about it. At least not yet. Very difficult to apply a so-called brand. I guess it shows that it's still evolving, still developing. Does having a 'brand' means one has attained something in musical expression ? Cheers.
I don’t know about “brand” ... that’s more of a marketing thing. But when people start referring to your “Style” and they can describe it.... then yes... I would say you have attained something.

Advertisements

Mark Ames is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote