The off topic thread - Page 1805
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 16-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #36081
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18032619
Re: The off topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Close..they now have fiction about news, reality stuff and rich people.
beat me to it.

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:23 AM   #36082
Parricide
sloppy cunt
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

i dont watch TV and havent for years. i watch a few programs online, but mostly things like south park, rick and morty etc.
i used to get weird reactions from people but now it seems to be becoming more and more common.
people are finally seeing that 99% of TV is shit

------------------
signature loading...
Old 16-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #36083
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
99% of TV is shit

It's 73%. This is the most recent facts.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #36084
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42408699
Thanked 5,494 Times in 3,571 Posts

Quote:
beat me to it.
You know you're getting old when A.M is faster than you.

------------------
IDMf050: Its coming home.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 11:11 AM   #36085
Br/ainfu+ked
IDMf Artist
Br/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MCBr/ainfu+ked is a savage MC
hotdog not hotdog
MC Status: 45967448
Thanked 1,232 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Stercogburn View Post

most of the people post in the p.m. he posts in the a.m. thats why you know early bird gets the worm

------------------
Br/ainfu+ked is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #36086
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 204110
Thanked 4,082 Times in 3,034 Posts

Quote:

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #36087
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 179160
Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
i dont watch TV and havent for years. i watch a few programs online, but mostly things like south park, rick and morty etc.
i used to get weird reactions from people but now it seems to be becoming more and more common.
people are finally seeing that 99% of TV is shit

Yeah they'd look at you like you're some freak who refuses to use a goddamn fridge or some shit.

"No, bitch. YOU are fucking weird for sitting there eating fucking maxipad ads in between bouts of some stupid random show you watch because you are fucking useless."
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #36088
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11490254
Thanked 1,056 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Yeah they'd look at you like you're some freak who refuses to use a goddamn fridge or some shit.

"No, bitch. YOU are fucking weird for sitting there eating fucking maxipad ads in between bouts of some stupid random show you watch because you are fucking useless."
You tell 'em

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to I/O_Madness
A.M (16-07-2018)
Old 16-07-2018, 11:44 PM   #36089
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O))) Vault O)))
MC Status: -2147481947
Thanked 1,173 Times in 775 Posts

TV is for people who haven't discovered computers yet
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 03:09 AM   #36090
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 29410

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
I always kinda sucked at algebra. Definitely not my favorite area in math. Had to pick it up once I was in Calc tho (I managed to get out of College Algebra, altho in hindsight it may have been better just to take it).
I'm not too good at simplification of the big formulas either. I had it click like once for me and it was awesome, but never again. I'm much better at ratios and solving systems of equations and statistics. I love calc on a philosophical/intuitive level and broke the curve for that class in college, but I don't remember a lot of the mechanics. I knew enough to do some cool stuff that basically dithered financial data for me 3 years after that class by changing the slope of the percentage of say, cost of goods sold as a percentage of sales, from year to year. So instead of just saying "We assume COGS to be 5% of sales" we were able to say "COGS is 5% of sales in the base year, but linear regression shows that that decreases by .02% per year which is reflected in our projections of future costs". Do that for all the data for 10 years and it starts to matter, much less massaging of the numbers needs to happen to get a reasonable outcome in the end. I did very well on that project

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
I/O_Madness (17-07-2018)
Old 17-07-2018, 04:47 AM   #36091
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I'm not too good at simplification of the big formulas either. I had it click like once for me and it was awesome, but never again. I'm much better at ratios and solving systems of equations and statistics. I love calc on a philosophical/intuitive level and broke the curve for that class in college, but I don't remember a lot of the mechanics. I knew enough to do some cool stuff that basically dithered financial data for me 3 years after that class by changing the slope of the percentage of say, cost of goods sold as a percentage of sales, from year to year. So instead of just saying "We assume COGS to be 5% of sales" we were able to say "COGS is 5% of sales in the base year, but linear regression shows that that decreases by .02% per year which is reflected in our projections of future costs". Do that for all the data for 10 years and it starts to matter, much less massaging of the numbers needs to happen to get a reasonable outcome in the end. I did very well on that project
I did get really into the infinite series stuff. I really loved the part in Calc II. Calc III just got freakin' crazy with integrations over fields and vectors and things that was just a lot to try to process. I did really like the triple integration part tho... probably the only part I really kinda really got.

I dealt with systems of equations somewhat in linear algebra. That one was kinda interesting.

Really, I like math, but sometimes I run into the stuff I just don't get, and especially nowadays where I'm working a full time job and don't have the focus on classes as I used to, I just don't get the stuff, and start panicking when I'm spending all this time on the questions and not really getting it, but I also hate asking for help because professors don't really seem to get how I learn and always just want to go through all the steps, and I just don't feel like I get it on an instinctual level. Like, I'm not interested in regurgitating mechanics. I want to really understand it. And true, sometimes I still make small mistakes here and there, but of course it ends up messing up the whole question. I did manage to get through the calc sequence (finally).

It's frustrating for me tho because I want to get it because when I get something in math... I GET it, and I love it like that. But nowadays when I'm also pressed for time, math isn't really something you can rush an understanding in, and really, there's no middle ground for me, i either lock in and get 110% or I don't get it and fail. There's just no middle ground it seems. Especially in college classes when each question on an exam is worth 20% of the entire exam grade. I love math, but man, math in school really hasn't been paying off for me.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 17-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #36092
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 29410

I feel you man, I got out easy because California requires/offers a lot of math in highschool. So I had two years of algebra, a year of geometry, a year of trig/pre-calc, and then a year of calc before I even hit college. And at that level, the teachers are still pretty good at dumbing the math down so that everyone can get it. The teacher who taught me calc also taught an algebra class that was five years behind me. I went to a Cal State university and was surprised to find that:
1. I only needed one GE math (algebra) and a business calculus class to get my bachelor's (and tbh a master's wouldn't add any more math if I stayed in business).
2. Those math classes were basically a review of the stuff I had already gotten in highschool. I literally learned one new thing in the calc class and that was something I distinctly remember my highschool calc teacher skipping because she said it wouldn't really add anything and it would just confuse us.

I know what you mean about "getting it", and I'm just now getting there for the stuff I was taught in algebra back in middle school with ratios and the like. I use them a lot to figure out what my take home pay is gonna be on holiday weeks without having to figure out taxes But seriously, I wouldn't do well on a test of this stuff, I would have to follow along with a book for anything beyond a basic parabolic system. Now, thankfully, I can figure out what I need when I need it with a little help from the internet. I guess it's about developing a vocabulary and an idea what should be right so that I can at least reality check myself and properly word the question if I need to ask it. And practice.

Calculus on vectors and fields sounds amazing, like the kind of stuff they'd do in qunatum physics. I never got that far, stopped after level one Calculus, which I think was mostly integrals and derivatives of polynomial two dimensional functions with some weird edge cases thrown in. Fields would be in three dimensions I assume?

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #36093
Parricide
sloppy cunt

Quote:

i cant hear you, speak louder

------------------
signature loading...
Old 17-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #36094
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Calculus on vectors and fields sounds amazing, like the kind of stuff they'd do in qunatum physics. I never got that far, stopped after level one Calculus, which I think was mostly integrals and derivatives of polynomial two dimensional functions with some weird edge cases thrown in. Fields would be in three dimensions I assume?
It was kind of interesting actually, a lot to think about. We'd do things like finding the flux of a vector function or things like that. And yes, they are in three dimensions. Essentially functions that define some 3d shape, z value for every y value for every x value. Often they'd be like a torus, or a donut, and we'd do some pretty tricky stuff. I think one thing that bothered me is that I couldn't do any of that stuff on the TI-83+ I've been using since high school trig lol (and actually, they've now bumped it up to the TI-84), but most of it was meant to be done with paper and pencil anyhow, so we didn't REALLY need calculators. I'm more of a visual person tho, so it helps me when I can picture what's happening.

We'd find things like tangents lines in 3 dimensions, so like, you'd have a function describing some 3D shape, and you'd need to find the tangent, so, at some x,y,z point, you'd find the point going tangent to the surface that is created on that plane.

We'd integrate over 3d sufaces, which was pretty cool

So like, you'd have some function, and it'd be like h of g of f(x,y,x), and you'd work from the inside, integrating with respect to a certain variable (say x), then take the result, integrate over, say y, then take the result, and finally integrate over z. Very tricky stuff, essentially all calc i and ii stuff expanded to three dimensions. Luckily you don't go into as much stuff as you do, for example, in calc ii which is mostly integration. calc i is normally mostly derivation. I'm pretty happy I finished the sequence, it's definitely some interesting stuff, and I'm happy to say that I completed the whole sequence (although I essentially took the entire sequence two times... not ideal).

I love the stuff, I just wish it I wasn't having so much trouble with it. Work kinda prevented me from meeting with professors, I really had no friends in class or anything, I was trying to understand it but just had a lot of trouble on my own, and don't get me wrong, this stuff is what I'm good at. I just sometimes get caught up, then end up spending hours staring at a problem trying to get it, and it drains me.

I am/was currently in a degree for Computer Engineering. I got my Bachelor's of Science in Music, majoring in Music Technology in 2009, but was rather upset at how little math and more involved analysis of music and sound signals we had in the degree. I decided to pursue a second Bachelor's of Science in the computer engineering area. I really like the point at which computers and actual real electricity and stuff meets, and that was where I kinda want to work. But at the same time, I'm trying to find a decent job cuz my job pays terrible and it's a terrible job anyway, and I really wanted to get out of it. I already had a Bachelor's which didn't seem to get me out of those really crappy low pay jobs that I just had really no interest in, and I wanted to just find work. So I could have concrete to say that getting a degree was worth it. And I mean, I love learning and education, but, I'm not a big fan of living with my parents lol and i really wanted to have my own space, which of course, meant having money, so... I kinda feel I want to take care of that first.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 17-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #36095
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

I've also been taking classes in circuits as well as signals and systems. Another mistake I probably made in trying to get through my degree more quickly, was that I didn't take physics before taking circuits, which I read was a requirement, but I was also able to skip. In high school, we were required to take two years of science, and 3 years of math. Science covered Earth Science and Biology, and if you continued, you'd also take Physics and Chemistry. I was ready to get out of science in high school lol because those classes actually required work lol. Math covered Algebra, Geometry, and Trig, and we had the option of going onto Pre-Calc, also which I didn't do.

Needless to say, I feel I was ill prepared to take the circuits class. I've never been the straight-A student overachiever type, I'm happy if I grasp the concept and pass with a B. Naturally, when I'm more interested in a topic and it comes easily to me, I'll do better and so maybe I get an A, but I'm more interested in whether I actually understand something and can apply it, rather than getting every single grade point in a class.

What we'd do tho is we'd be given a circuit diagram, usually some mix of resistors, capacitors, inductors, voltage sources, current sources, and we'd have to list the voltages and currents at every node. For simple circuits I had it down fairly well, but we started moving into other things and I started getting completely lost. Like, when they introduce you to inductors and capacitors, they make you use some integral or derivative representation first, which is harder. Then, they let you convert everything to phasors, which is just some representation of them in terms of phase and frequency, and amplitude... I think?...

Anyway, I really don't feel the least bit bad not finishing my engineering degree. I think I could learn more going home, smoking some weed, and reading some articles. I don't need to pay money for all this. I can buy a book and do it myself.

Last edited by I/O_Madness; 17-07-2018 at 10:05 AM..

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 17-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #36096
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

In other news, I really can't wait to get home from vacation and smoke some pot. I need weed. Or I need to get laid. Maybe both.

Last edited by I/O_Madness; 17-07-2018 at 10:06 AM..

Advertisements

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Trusty Steed (Yesterday)