Workflow: Preparing Audio WAVs vs MIDI/Samples/Effects with beats and other elements
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
droctopu5
Analog Lurker
droctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to behold
Hobbit Hole, Seattle, WA
MC Status: 710
Icon5 Workflow: Preparing Audio WAVs vs MIDI/Samples/Effects with beats and other elements

So, I've been watching a bunch of tutorials lately, and it seems like a lot of production is done with pre-worked audio snippets - kicks, snares, and all other perc - and layering those in tracks.

However, I'm sort of in a constant state of tweaking, and I can't imagine working this way - "printing" a sound ahead of time. I really don't get a handle on how all of my sounds work together until I'm already working these sounds out in a project. So for a whole track, all of my percussion is either natural drum samples in a sampler with a heavy FX chain on each, or coming from MIDI through a drum synth and then into a tweaked FX stack. This keeps everything really close to the source, so I can keep evolving the sound as I go, plus I have the flexibility of controlling so many aspects of the sound - BUT, as the song grows longer and I add tracks, obviously I'll run into CPU issues sometimes, unless I pay attention to what plugins I'm using. And then I'll render whole tracks and come back and tweak it later.

But I keep seeing a stack of waveforms in all these tutorials, andthe idea of dragging permanent WAVs around and constantly copying them from measure to measure seems weird and inflexible to me - I have a hard time "committing" to a particular sound until later in the game, when everything is fleshed out. Maybe I just haven't got my workflow down properly yet.

Is this normal?

Advertisements

droctopu5 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Ap0C552
Digital Surfer
Ap0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to beholdAp0C552 is a splendid one to behold
Winnipeg
MC Status: 848
Re: Workflow: Preparing Audio WAVs vs MIDI/Samples/Effects with beats and other eleme

Yes it is normal.
Ap0C552 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #3
droctopu5
Analog Lurker
droctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to beholddroctopu5 is a splendid one to behold
Hobbit Hole, Seattle, WA
MC Status: 710
Re: Workflow: Preparing Audio WAVs vs MIDI/Samples/Effects with beats and other eleme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ap0C552 View Post
Yes it is normal.
Thanks!

End of thread.
droctopu5 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

Depends on how you want to do it.

Sure, you can cut and paste all samples into place in an arrangement, OR you could load up a drum machine (i.e. Ableton Drum Rack, or a third party vst like Battery) with your drum hits and enter everything via midi.

Use a sampler to load all your non percussion samples on and trigger them by a midi keyboard or drum pads. At the end you can bounce to audio if you like.

Saves cutting and pasting, but then again I like using both methods depending on how im feeling or what it is im doing.
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883056
Thanked 3,291 Times in 2,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droctopu5 View Post
But I keep seeing a stack of waveforms in all these tutorials, andthe idea of dragging permanent WAVs around and constantly copying them from measure to measure seems weird and inflexible to me - I have a hard time "committing" to a particular sound until later in the game, when everything is fleshed out. Maybe I just haven't got my workflow down properly yet.
Depends on the tune for me. If it's quite a glitched out piece (where the drums are going to be edited quite extensively) then I try & get the percussion settled at the start and make sure it plays well the other lead elements. Then I can chop & (re)arrange the drums and hopefully not feel the need to change something major like a kick / hi-hat later on.

But where I'm not going to be chopping up the percussion, I prefer to use midi for the drum patterns. Can always bounce down and edit at the end if need be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie View Post
Saves cutting and pasting, but then again I like using both methods depending on how im feeling or what it is im doing.
Pretty much this.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564930
Thanked 7,480 Times in 5,280 Posts

Personally I don't get along well with the unlimited possibilities of working with midi/VSTs. I like to bounce things pretty quickly and work with audio. Additionally, I find resampling the easiest way to squeeze a lot of texture out of a single sound--in the same vein, for some reason I really like filtering/EQ out frequencies in sounds and then slowly adding harmonics back with various FX.

Advertisements

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote