Generative music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
theatreofnoise
Minor Glitch
theatreofnoise will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Generative music

Hello, I recently came across some works by Brian Eno involving generative music. After a bit of research I found out he used a software by SSEYO called Koan, now discontinued. However the guys behind that project are now working on a software called Noatikl (most recent is v. 2) and - being honest - it has a lot of potential so far, even if I am a noob about midi programming.

I also found there's another music generator software called Nodal but I had no time to try it or read its manual... So can anyone point out the differences between those two softwares?

Also feel free to share your considerations about generative music!

Advertisements

theatreofnoise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13021026
Re: Generative music

I prefer aleatoric music, but this seems like a nice concept.
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
theatreofnoise
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeoR View Post
I prefer aleatoric music, but this seems like a nice concept.
I agree with you - it really seems nice. I hope I will confirm this opinion once I will have spent some more time using this software, since right now mine is just a first impression.

Noatikl's manual doesn't help for sure, it isn't so precise about certain aspects and contains some errors... I think the only way to learn how to use it is, as always, experimenting.

I would like to find some Nodal users who can tell what's different from Noatikl though.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
Djreject
Analog Lurker
Djreject has a spectacular aura aboutDjreject has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 168

Try Pure data or Max/msp

It's very user friendly (once you read the 10000 pages of tutorials lol)

I use it a lot to handle midi message in various ways

------------------
Djreject is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
st326
Minor Glitch
st326 has a spectacular aura aboutst326 has a spectacular aura aboutst326 has a spectacular aura about
Bay Area, California, USA
MC Status: 210

I use generative techniques all the time, but it's very rare that I'll go all the way to a 100% generative track. In fact, I think I only ever did one, something chamber music-like that was inspired by Toccata in F by Widor that I wrote as theme music for a freind's web show. I wrote that in C++ using the RtMidi library -- I got the notes out back into Logic and then did some more conventional production that side to get it to sound right.

For my other stuff, I usually have one or two things going on that are either fully or partly generative. I've recently been using Reaktor a fair bit for this -- I love Spiral. I also use the midi filtering in Ableton a lot, which is actually pretty powerful if you stack it up carefully -- since I often want to still guide the generative stuff with something I've played manually, this actually works pretty well.

I've written a couple of things with Max, but I'm not in love with it. I don't like the way it represents note on and note off information at a very low level which makes it really difficult to avoid stuck notes and other similar issues.
st326 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
agargara
Minor Glitch
agargara has a spectacular aura aboutagargara has a spectacular aura aboutagargara has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Have you seen the "Patternarium"? It makes generative electronic music loops that evolve based on the votes of users.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
agargara is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to agargara
chooko (11-01-2013)
Old 08-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Tim Exile's tumblr, timblr, has some nice projects of his especially the one I just linked.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

though it's not technically generative, here's a little tutorial on how to use euclidean rhythms with live (your daw of choice, i see):

there's also ta thread on the live fora about generative music, which i mirrored here:

since you are using live, take a look at some rhythms and how rhythms works, and put together some midi racks using some arpeggiators and some scale plugins and you are well on your way.
there are lots of maxmsp/maxforlive/pure data patches available doing that thing, and there's tons of books and papers on the subject as well. but yeah, read up some rhtyhms and rhytmical patterns + scales and different modes and you should be set.

for good measure; get an audio->cc envelope plugin and send the cc to FM modulation with SAMPLER, crack open a beer and go "look mom, AUTECHRE WITH NO HANDS!".

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 05:02 AM   #9
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11487454
Thanked 1,000 Times in 729 Posts

Autechre has done generative stuff on some of their albums... I've never heard of Noatikl, but I use Max/MSP and it's a cool program that you could do stuff like that in. It's a little steep learning if you don't know programming, but not too bad.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

I'd like to know a little more about nodal.

Like has anyone used it and what are your thoughts. The only reviews I can find on it are older before the most curent version and don't speak to the quality of it's synth.

From what I can tell they upgraded it's capibilities quite a bit with ver 1.8.

Was going to make a thread about it but thought I'd ask here first.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
shadowform
Regular Freak
shadowform will become famous soon enoughshadowform will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

I use some software called Mixtikle which is an extension of Noatikle. Noatikle generates the audio and patterns contained in cells and Mixtikle generates the combinations of cells and the structure if the piece.

I have it on my iPad, (I think you can get it for pc too), and I've used layers of generative stuff in tracks made in Nuendo.

I think generative music is really cool and definitely shouldn't be mistaken as a shortcut, the stuff in Mixtikle at least, in my opinion, is often more involved and technically more complicated than traditional composition methods.
shadowform is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Diplo - Express Yourself
Old 22-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

I enjoy using Buzz for making generative compositions. There are some really quirky and fun machines, triggers, remote/peer controllers, etc.

Also, I really like xoxos' (Rurik Leffanta) midi VSTs aswell. Most of them are free(ware)!

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
theatreofnoise
Minor Glitch

Are there any iOS apps that can do that?

I mean not playing sounds but sending generative midi messages to a computer.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #14
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11487454
Thanked 1,000 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatreofnoise View Post
Are there any iOS apps that can do that?

I mean not playing sounds but sending generative midi messages to a computer.
There's this app by Cycling 74 if you have Max/MSP, which allows you to set up GUI's in Max and use them on your iPad. The control data gets sent to your computer, and from there you could make something that does generative stuff.

If it's going to a computer anyway, there's not really a need for the ipad to do the processing of the algorithm.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
theatreofnoise
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
There's this app by Cycling 74 if you have Max/MSP, which allows you to set up GUI's in Max and use them on your iPad. The control data gets sent to your computer, and from there you could make something that does generative stuff.

If it's going to a computer anyway, there's not really a need for the ipad to do the processing of the algorithm.
Unfortunately I haven't got Max, looking forward to get Max4Live w/ the next update to Suite 9.

I started this thread as I first downloaded a demo of Noatikl which I couldn't get working so I gave up. I have found some pretty interesting stuff for Reaktor 5 though.

Another thing I'm willing to try is Nodal, if anyone has an opinion about it I'd like to read one.

As for the iPad I just wanted to know if there was something similar that had a more straight hands-on approach.

Advertisements