Specific question..
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #1
dbt
Minor Glitch
dbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MC
New Jersey/Boston
MC Status: 1656363
Specific question..

I'm working on an electro house/ dubstep track and wondering if anyone had guidelines that they set for themselves for melody? I've taken music theory (a music major) and I made this track in F minor and a melody is proving to be ridiculous right now. I have a chord progression but I just seem to be drawing blanks or coming up with some really cheesy crap.

I've been working on this track for a week and a half. I won't spam it here and wondering if anyone had any advice at all for minor keys specifically. Or does it not matter with major and minor keys?

I'll only send the private track to those curious. There's just this blank space for the break and I just don't like it being empty and it's driving me mental haha.

Advertisements

------------------
noob in progress
dbt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts
Re: Specific question..

The only real tip I have is - improvise.
I make melodies that usually have vocal phrasing, which naturally contain different rhytmic values (4ths, 8ths, 16ths, triplets, whole-note, etc), aswell as the important use of pauses/silence/breathing. Glissando and vibrato can also make things more interesting.
Sometimes more "extreme" intervals can liven up a more "arpeggio-like melody".

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
dbt
Minor Glitch
dbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MCdbt is a savage MC
New Jersey/Boston

Would it be too much if I sent you a midi file of what I have and ask you to see if it is a melody? And a good one / what may work better?

------------------
noob in progress
Old 04-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbt View Post
Would it be too much if I sent you a midi file of what I have and ask you to see if it is a melody? And a good one / what may work better?
Sorry, I'm really busy with other projects. Only you can decide if your melodies are melodies (or harmonies,high pitched basslines, counterpoint or chord notes astray or whatever)

Last edited by Evelon; 04-11-2012 at 06:04 PM..

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
dbt (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
mrcold
Sample Destroyer
mrcold is a splendid one to beholdmrcold is a splendid one to beholdmrcold is a splendid one to beholdmrcold is a splendid one to beholdmrcold is a splendid one to beholdmrcold is a splendid one to behold
missouri
MC Status: 660

If you are a music major, then you probably understand the technical aspects of making a melody. My advice to you is to keep it simple. It's easy to over complicate things. Use fewer notes rather than more, and use some internal repetition.
mrcold is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mrcold
dbt (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Dugg Funnie
Banned
Dugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond reputeDugg Funnie has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3810

Here's some solid advice on melodic composition:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Also, maybe grab yourself a basic book on composition, this one isn't too shabby: (also check out the other books in the series)

Composition for Computer Musicians: Michael Hewitt: 0082039538617: Amazon.com: Books [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Dugg Funnie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Dugg Funnie
dbt (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
dbt
Minor Glitch
New Jersey/Boston

thanks for the responses! I came up with a riff I think. but no melody yet. maybe I can think of one with the riff?

Advertisements

------------------
noob in progress