ON AVERAGE: How many hours do you put into one track? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #41
Dippshoe
cunt
Dippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MCDippshoe is a savage MC
In an abandoned cave covered by mist in the depths of Jotunheimen.
MC Status: 12810
Re: ON AVERAGE: How many hours do you put into one track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332 View Post
I can't believe some of you work on tracks for 4-20 hours. Are you really spending that much time on one track? How do you get anything done? I can't imagine spending one full hour on a single track, let alone more than 4 hours and sometimes as high as 20+. That seems like a hell of a lot of time to spend on one single piece of music. Hell, if I spend more than 20 minutes on something it feels like I'm wasting my time. Some of you guys must have incredible concentration and patience.
Obvious troll is obvious!

Advertisements

Dippshoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #42
Lucider
Minor Glitch
Lucider will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I've certainly made successful pieces in less than 3 hours - that is if they have simple elements like chord progressions, simple reese, easy drum programming (read: liquid funk).

I'd hate to think about how long i spend on a neurofunk track...probably closer to 60 hours once it's all broken down and takes it various permutations and dead ends...though those may get recycled into new different tracks.

Breakcore...is more fun...cause the "sound" doesn't matter as much (it's not standardized or popularized). So like 10-20 hours cause I basically just make a loop, bounce it, glitch, rinse and repeat.
Lucider is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #43
Shaun Singh
Radial Developer
Shaun Singh will become famous soon enoughShaun Singh will become famous soon enough
London Town
MC Status: 110

This is a tough one.

Each track is most certainly very different from the last. I find that if i'm not feeling a track within the first couple of hours i should probably stop working on it and move onto something else. When i'm fully into a track and really want it to be perfect it could take around a month just to complete it.
Shaun Singh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #44
DreamCatcher
Microknight
DreamCatcher has a spectacular aura aboutDreamCatcher has a spectacular aura aboutDreamCatcher has a spectacular aura about
Washington DC
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Singh View Post
This is a tough one.

Each track is most certainly very different from the last. I find that if i'm not feeling a track within the first couple of hours i should probably stop working on it and move onto something else. When i'm fully into a track and really want it to be perfect it could take around a month just to complete it.
Very well said, exactly what I feel like when producing. I probably have over 40 something tracks that I have put maybe less than 5 hours into.

------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br/ainfu+ked View Post
did you fap enough today
SHOW OFF YOUR MUSIC HERE:
https://soundcloud.com/groups/showca...ectronic-music
DreamCatcher is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #45
WillyZi
Digital Surfer
WillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MCWillyZi is a savage MC
Chicago,
MC Status: 4460777

My Shortest is 1 hour, my longest is 5 days

------------------
Listen @ Soundcloud
Follow @ Twitter
[Why X NoT] **Emotional Experimental**
WillyZi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #46
fluent2332
Soundwave Mangler
fluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippshoe View Post
Obvious troll is obvious!
How is that trolling? I'm being honest. I rarely spend more than 30 minutes on a track. I get the basic idea down, add a few parts, a few transitions, sequence it, and bam, I'm done in no time. I can't sit there and spend hours upon hours on a track. That's just me. I can't do it.

In the time some of you spend on one track, I've made a whole album . Which is fine though, whatever works for you, go with it. If that means spending tons of hours on one track, then do it. Doesn't matter. But I just prefer to get through it quickly so I can move on to the next track.

Last edited by fluent2332; 13-06-2012 at 04:16 PM..
fluent2332 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #47
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

How about an example of a something you made in a half an hour that you are happy with? Because to tell you the truth I thought you were trolling also.

Edit: A finished product I mean.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #48
Kruta
Learning The Ropes
Kruta is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332 View Post
How is that trolling? I'm being honest. I rarely spend more than 30 minutes on a track. I get the basic idea down, add a few parts, a few transitions, sequence it, and bam, I'm done in no time. I can't sit there and spend hours upon hours on a track. That's just me. I can't do it.

In the time some of you spend on one track, I've made a whole album . Which is fine though, whatever works for you, go with it. If that means spending tons of hours on one track, then do it. Doesn't matter. But I just prefer to get through it quickly so I can move on to the next track.
I used to work on a track in like 40 minutes I would be done. But you know what? It sucked really bad. I learned that now. If I don't talk time to work on the track I don't get all the right things I want in it. I like to perfect things. Perfectionist <--. Also If the track doesn't flow , I don't push my way and finish it because I just don't feel it.
Kruta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #49
fluent2332
Soundwave Mangler
fluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to beholdfluent2332 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

I'm happy with all my music and consider all of my tracks as finished products. Once I finish a track I never go back to it. What's done is done.

Second, if you want to hear something I made in 30 minutes, you can pretty much listen to my entire collection of music on Youtube. 95% of those tracks were made in 30 minutes or less. I'm not saying they are the most complex pieces of music either, because they aren't, but that's not what I go for anyway, which is part of the reason I'm able to work quickly.

Anyway, here's one a bunch of people seem to like, and I spent barely any time on it at all. I recorded all the parts as live audio in one take each. Simple. I didn't even sequence the beat at all, I played it live as resampled audio parts layered on top of each other. Took me no time at all.

Link to my Youtube > [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by fluent2332; 13-06-2012 at 11:55 PM..
fluent2332 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: George Marauder - The C64 Sessions
Thanks to fluent2332
RFJ (18-06-2012)
Old 16-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #50
thatSPIKEkid
Granular Poster
thatSPIKEkid will become famous soon enoughthatSPIKEkid will become famous soon enough
Seattle

personally I've never completely finished a track in one day. I always re-visit them at least 5 times and spend at least an hour each time, mostly because I change my mind a million times it seems like. FL Studio tells me that I worked on my last project for a total of 7 hours, on the other hand I remember seeing a screen-shot that Porter Robinson posted showing a 47 hour WIP. I think it really just depends how complex of a track you're working on and/or how picky you are with your sounds.

------------------
thatSPIKEkid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #51
Kruta
Learning The Ropes
Kruta is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatspikekid View Post
personally i've never completely finished a track in one day. I always re-visit them at least 5 times and spend at least an hour each time, mostly because i change my mind a million times it seems like. Fl studio tells me that i worked on my last project for a total of 7 hours, on the other hand i remember seeing a screen-shot that porter robinson posted showing a 47 hour wip. I think it really just depends how complex of a track you're working on and/or how picky you are with your sounds.
exactly
Kruta is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #52
C.P. Daley
Learning The Ropes
C.P. Daley is currently spamming hard

I'm still learning a bit, so I tend to take my time in producing as to not screw up. I'm working on an electro house remix that I've spent 15 or 16 hours on that over the course of 3 or 4 days. I'm just about done, just a few quick mix fixes to go and some mastering. But once I get the hang of it, I could probably bang out a track in a few hours if I wanted to.
C.P. Daley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #53
Kwasu93
Minor Glitch
Kwasu93 is currently spamming hard

I'm usually working on one project about 1 month, but summary (FL project info option) it is surely no less than 10 hours. My longest project time is 28 hours.
Kwasu93 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #54
Idle Earth
Microknight
Idle Earth will become famous soon enoughIdle Earth will become famous soon enough

16 - 20 usually. I know Madeon spent around 60 hours on his raise your weapon remix.

------------------
Idle Earth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 02:19 AM   #55
ProductivePres
Minor Glitch
ProductivePres will become famous soon enough
Nashville, NC
MC Status: 60

Usually 10-20 hours until I'm satisfied but I'll return and make changes if I think of something new.
ProductivePres is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 02:45 AM   #56
Pman89
Minor Glitch
Pman89 is currently spamming hard
Michigan

Probably around 30 since I just finished my first song.
Pman89 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #57
VGM
Regular Freak
VGM is currently spamming hard
Budapest

From 30 to 50+ hours. That time mainly goes into instrumentation and composition. Arrangement is relatively quick once I have all the stuff in there in harmony. Mixing happens along the way, final mixing usually doesn't take more than 2-6 hours.
VGM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #58
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 11210

id consider myself a middleman, and i used to have terrible workflow and took nearly a whole month to finish one of my tracks, but now im getting better by saving presets, having good understandings of how my tools work with very good understandings of using synthesizers and automation to make my track sound professional and have good flow with unique, exciting sounds. i can finish tracks now completely with mixing and mastering included from 3 hours to a day. altho sometimes if inspiration is running a little low i can take as long as a week.
_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #59
eliotsbowe
Regular Freak
eliotsbowe is currently spamming hard

Actually two hours is the best I can do.
eliotsbowe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #60
verigar
Learning The Ropes
verigar is currently spamming hard

The day before yesterday I wrote a funk-house track and that took me about 4 hours.If inspiration comes then it takes so little time.Other tracks took me up to a month because I didn't like what I heard and had to find something good.

Advertisements

verigar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote