Tips on transitions?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Adipher
Minor Glitch
Adipher is a glorious beacon of lightAdipher is a glorious beacon of lightAdipher is a glorious beacon of lightAdipher is a glorious beacon of lightAdipher is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Tips on transitions?

I've started branching out into making proper IDM tracks and am also trying to fuse in interesting classical composition. I have a few different sections to a track I'm currently working on but I can't seem to get the transitions to sound natural. Does anyone have any tips on little techniques for keeping the right amount of familiar repetition while also bringing a definite change in section?
Previously I've been making house and some progressive ambient stuff, for which transitions are much more simple.

Advertisements

Adipher is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #2
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281549
Thanked 1,180 Times in 758 Posts
Re: Tips on transitions?

If the parts are in the same key, you could just have different instruments go in different directions along the scale. It's simple but it works nice for building into a different section.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Goolue
Master of the LFO
Goolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud ofGoolue has much to be proud of
Isn't built out of Humus.
MC Status: 1060

You can keep the beat of the first part with the harmony / melody / whatever of the second part and then switch the beat.
If you're song doesn't have a beat, you can use sequenzas with variations.
I hope this helps.

------------------
My Soundcloud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYCORE View Post
i always felt if Thom Yorke was a food item he would be a noodle
Goolue is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Adipher
Minor Glitch
Adipher is a glorious beacon of lightAdipher is a glorious beacon of lightAdipher is a glorious beacon of lightAdipher is a glorious beacon of lightAdipher is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Cheers I'll give that a try
Adipher is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #5
Galaxy God
Regular Freak
Galaxy God will become famous soon enoughGalaxy God will become famous soon enough
Earth
MC Status: 110

The best advice I would say is to listen to your favorite producers.... Their transitions in particular.
Galaxy God is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Maldito
Regular Freak
Maldito is currently spamming hard
Barcelona
MC Status: 10

Listen to your favorite artists and try to analyse their track.
Perfect your technique to play and control frequencies , space FX, and what occurs with the rhythm while you do the modifications.

Think about the concept of DJ mixing songs and apply it in your compositions trying to achieve the desired climate and mixing your melodic phrases , creating expectation and giving what you promise.

Enjoy man
Cheers
Maldito is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45948281
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,644 Posts

flip melodies, solo tracks, build-ups, reverbs and delays, reverse reverbs/delays, automated eq changes...all of these can be layered onto each other and run simultaneously.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Aniol
Soundscaper
Aniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to behold
Huntington Beach
MC Status: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
flip melodies, solo tracks, build-ups, reverbs and delays, reverse reverbs/delays, automated eq changes...all of these can be layered onto each other and run simultaneously.

I Agree completely with his comment ^^ but also if you want some smooth transitions then you should probably stay in the same key as before. Dont just jump into something completely different it will throw off the listener.
Aniol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199652018
Thanked 5,055 Times in 3,239 Posts

A short lead in when transitioning, for me, is always more conducive than a long build up.

Advertisements

RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote