The Quest for the Perfect Progression
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 AM   #1
Noahlotr
Minor Glitch
Noahlotr will become famous soon enoughNoahlotr will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
The Quest for the Perfect Progression

So I like to make music, and I've made very few complete, let alone good, songs. I think that one main problem I have is that I have trouble writing good progression. I use a midi keyboard, but I have very basic piano knowledge, so I really only play chords on the white keys. I sometimes manually put in notes to make slightly more complex chords, but my progressions still sound not very good. Is there some secret to a good progression, or is it a practice makes perfect thing?

Thanks,
Noahlotr

Advertisements

Noahlotr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: The Island - Pt. I by Pendulum
Old 08-01-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510
Re: The Quest for the Perfect Progression

There's not only one secret, but many! These secrets come together to make one big secret called music theory.

Its only a secret because its hidden in plain view and nobody's actually interested in it!

Sarcasm aside though, there are not really any simple rules to help you. I could tell you how to do one particular thing that sounds good, but then you'd get stuck doing that : /

I posted a guide to music theory in the tutorials section. I suggest you read everything on that website, lots of good info.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:03 AM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996280
Thanked 4,121 Times in 2,675 Posts

depends what you mean by "perfect"
a very simple chord progression sometimes does it, if it's arranged nicely
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Friend Request
Minor Glitch
Friend Request has a spectacular aura aboutFriend Request has a spectacular aura aboutFriend Request has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

I'm also on the quest for the perfect chords, and in my experience, just using those ebony keys is not going to get you anywhere, incorporating the sharp ivory notes into your melodies/progressions allows for a more musically fluid and intuitive cadence.
With the entire scale at your disposal, theres no limit to the amount of awe inspiring progressions you will be able to compose.

That, and it just takes time
Friend Request is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Slump
Analog Lurker
Slump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to beholdSlump is a splendid one to behold
Sacramento, California
MC Status: 663

Chord progressions are all about context.

------------------
Slump is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Slump
PROton42 (09-01-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Totally agree with Slump, the progression should reflect the mood of the story that you're trying to convey through music.

"I really only play chords on the white keys"
All you're doing here is limiting yourself, and might be one of the reasons you don't feel your chord structures are complete, because you're not using half of the notes

The secret to a good progression is knowing your instrument, knowing your scales, and a bit of mathematics to guide yourself through the former.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
Noahlotr
Minor Glitch

Thanks for the help, guys! The reason I (mostly) only use white keys is that I'm not a pianist, but fortunately, I actually start taking piano lessons tomorrow. I foresee that helping me greatly with this problem!

@statisticquill: I'll check out your music theory guide! I expect that it'll be very helpful.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #8
BALLZ!
nob Twiddler
BALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MCBALLZ! is a savage MC
խելագար սեւահեր
MC Status: 11265264

An endless quest.

------------------
tsxfgijhkt,ygt54esdy6hn
BALLZ! is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390148
Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahlotr View Post
Is there some secret to a good progression, or is it a practice makes perfect thing?
I-V-vi-IV

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10378667

12 bar blues. Ah fuck it, just make something up

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #11
Leki
Learning The Ropes
Leki is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

2 - 5 - 1 chord progression, maybe?
But it really depends on the context of the piece.
And this is where music theory and chord progression theory come in handy
Leki is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #12
T-REn
Granular Poster
T-REn is currently spamming hard
Kuala Lumpur

For a beginner like me putting a note there and here in a midi track (trial&error) will be only choice with few knowledge of music theory. Including pressing keyboard (Trial & error).

Thats my way of getting good(not perfect) chord progression. Hahaha. I guess by practice and experience we can get perfect chord progression.

Hey dont forget BLACK keys, it makes up everything.

Cheers,
T-REn
T-REn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #13
Noahlotr
Minor Glitch

Thanks for all the help everyone! After reading all your suggestions, I have decided to most definitely BEGIN USING THE BLACK KEYS!
Thanks to Noahlotr
hellscion (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #14
Friend Request
Minor Glitch
Friend Request has a spectacular aura aboutFriend Request has a spectacular aura aboutFriend Request has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend Request View Post
I'm also on the quest for the perfect chords, and in my experience, just using those ebony keys is not going to get you anywhere, incorporating the sharp ivory notes into your melodies/progressions allows for a more musically fluid and intuitive cadence.
With the entire scale at your disposal, theres no limit to the amount of awe inspiring progressions you will be able to compose.

That, and it just takes time
I should clarify here, I meant to say ivory in place of ebony. I do know the difference hahaha
Friend Request is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #15
auxein
Minor Glitch
auxein is a jewel in the roughauxein is a jewel in the roughauxein is a jewel in the rough
Chicago
MC Status: 260

Listen to Steve Reich to hear perfect Western progressions
auxein is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
harpeer
Regular Freak
harpeer is currently spamming hard

Listen to the band 'The Black Keys'.