[RFJGB] But Together We'll Take Them By Storm - Grain Bastard & RFJ **December 2nd** - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf's User Releases Post your official releases here. Works in progress and promo spam will be removed.

Old 26-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #21
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199653418
Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,258 Posts
Re: [RFJGB] But Together We'll Take Them By Storm - Grain Bastard & RFJ **December 2n

I'm pressing the thanks button anyway even though I don't think it really works all the time in this particular section of the forum. I've pushed it twice on these posts to be sure in fact.

Glad you guys are enjoying the pre-release reading. Things like that can go either way so good to know it's of some value. We'll have more coming tomorrow so...stay tuned!

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #22
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
Re: [RFJGB] But Together We'll Take Them By Storm - Grain Bastard & RFJ **December 2n

Part 6 of 10

AMS: Generally speaking, is there anything you find frustrating, exhilarating, or freeing about working on a collaboration? Were either of you glad to be free of a particular part of the process? What do you enjoy most about collaboration?

---

GB: As i said, it was stress free for me. I had fun - i think RFJ had all the stress as he had the 'decisions' to make. The most liberating part was having all the CPU power just for percussion.

The whole process of emailing a sample to a person the other side of the world and recieving a track back is still quite mind-blowing to me even though I realise we could have done the same thing with tapes etc and airmail, albeit at a slower pace

---

RFJ: Well, this answer turned out much longer than I expected

The main thing I find particularly exhilarating about the process, one of which I believe GB alluded to as well, is the way music and the internet can bring people together in this way. The fact that two people, who have never met and live thousands of miles apart from one another, with different life experiences different inspirations, different sets of knowledge, can come together in search of a common voice and possibly wind up with something that’s of value to not only them but potentially other people as well.

I mean I could get real, I don’t know, philosophical here but I’ll just dip in a bit. If you think about all the things in my life and all the things in his that had to happen just exactly as they did in order for us to meet, I mean, it’s a fucking miracle that it actually happened. Same goes for anyone and everyone else too. The way I look at it is, when opportunity knocks I think it’s usually the best play to take it, because the opportunity is a result of something that had a 1 in 1 trillion chance of even happening.

As far as frustration goes the only part that was frustrating for me was a period of time from Spring to mid-Summer that I felt particularly uninspired, so I didn’t do any work what-so-ever on one of the files he sent over for a period of maybe 45 days. Not sure if it was even that long but it felt like an eternity. That had nothing to do with him though, obviously, just me and my own headspace. I had never felt like that before so it came as quite a surprise. I delayed for so long in fact it became awkward for me to see him around at various places on-line. Finally one day I said something, apologized, and he basically told me not to worry, to stop taking everything so seriously, and above all reminded me that this was supposed to be fun. Shortly thereafter I was able to get back to it and as a result wound up with one of the “better” tracks on the release, track 3, Making Marks That Cannot Be Erased, which sounds very reflective of how I was feeling during that particular period of time.

The thing I enjoy most about collaboration is taking someones idea and expanding upon it by changing what they have done in some way but still holding true to what it was they sent over. Obviously being as The Altered Echo Project is something I’m heavily involved in I really love sound collage, remix, and mutating works into something new. While I would never sonically destroy anything he’d send over I always did try to look for a different way to use it than just adding stuff as his file played through. Often times what you’ll hear when the percussion kicks in was taken from the middle or end of what he sent over and many portions have been taken apart and built back up in different ways than which they came. The track I mentioned in the last paragraph, track three for example, his original drums I duplicated and stacked but then offset from one another by three counts or so, with one being randomly muted and unmuted as the other slowly fades in until about half way through to the climax, when they’re both chaotically playing at full volume. What he sent is all there it’s just used differently than intended while still holding true to the spirit of what he sent over.

From a non-technical standpoint the other thing I most loved about this was making a friend with, again, someone who lives across the ocean who I have never met. I mean I basically spent a year of my life off and on with the guy talking about all sorts of things from production to life and that type of stuff for me is priceless.

Last edited by RFJ; 27-11-2014 at 05:19 PM..

------------------
Old 28-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #23
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Part 7 of 10

AMS: Tips or tricks for sticking to a collaboration and finishing? I know from experience that long-distance collaborations (in this case from West Coast USA to the UK) can fizzle out. How did you keep up the spark in this artistic relationship? Did you use deadlines?

---

GB: I really think that it worked out for us because of the roles we defined early on suited us both. Had we tried another formula then maybe we wouldn't have finished a single track. Maybe we got lucky but we did list a few things we wouldnt be doing early on and the big one for me was 'no sending dozens of files back and forth between us' - i think if it becomes an IT nightmare you will loose interest pretty fast.

---

RFJ: Fairly simple answer I guess, you just have to commit and have a little follow through. I’d say though I had a bit more incentive to stick to it than he did. I’m not much for rating artists but were we to devise a way I think it’s clear which one of us would come out the winner and that wouldn’t be me. I mean it was such a wonderful opportunity to, not only make and get some tracks out there, but do do a hefty amount of brain picking as well. GB knows so much and has been around enough that I would have been a fool to just let it fizzle out.

Case in point…

When I returned what was to be track 1 off the release, La Planche à Dessin, I told him my primary inspiration, albeit not overtly obvious, was this piece right here:

I asked him if he was familiar with it, he said…”Familiar with it? I opened for those guys a few times back in the day.” Again, taking liberty with his exact verbiage, but that’s the gist of what he said. That brought about all kinds of talk about what it was like playing shows, how he got booked, and the scene in general where he was from back then. If I didn’t know before how lucky I was to have the chance to do this, and to be able to pick his brain throughout, that’s when it really sunk in.

I also feel the single best way to progress is to just finish stuff. Like I said in an earlier answer, just finish stuff no matter what. Even if you just have to throw your hands up and fade it out, finish the thing, then move on. Beyond all the things that finishing and moving on will teach a person the payoff in the end, with a collaborative like this or not, is huge. I’d liken it to Christmas for a five year old actually. I mean we’ve been doing this for a while, anticipation building all the way to the end. Now here we are and it feels like I’m opening a stack of gifts that I’ve been putting on a list in my mind over the course of the entire year. Even taking away all the stuff I said before, that, in and of itself, is motivation enough for me.

------------------
Old 30-11-2014, 12:30 AM   #24
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Addendum to Part 2
Hardware

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS
I know that Grain Bastard currently employs some hardware in his process...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain Bastard
The only hardware I used in the release was the OP-1...I like the OP-1 because of its portability - I'm not talking about going to the park and sitting under a tree or anything twee like that but I can sit in my living room and make something usable without having to go upstairs to my studio.
---

Relic had asked about the use of hardware in this release and it was mentioned that a primary component to many of the drum sounds was the OP-1 by Teenage Engineering. The following examples are not found on our release, nor are they apart of our collaborative effort. I believe they bear posting here however because they give another example of what that particular synthesizer is capable of when placed in the proper hands.

While our EP was in the mastering stage Teenage Engineering made an open call for user submitted presets to be used in their new factory soundbank. The the presets GB made and submitted can be heard below and are reflective of some of the drum work that is heard in our forthcoming release that's due out in three days...

Here's hoping his sounds get selected!

------------------
Old 30-11-2014, 07:43 PM   #25
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Part 8 of 10

AMS: As far as non musical duties, how are you splitting things up? How are you handling a "web presence" for two different artists who haven't created a name for their combined project? How have you gone about promotion and distribution? Why do you believe this is the most desirable route, if not the "best" route?

---

GB: I'm happy to pass any promoting duties to someone else if im honest. I really don't enjoy that side of 'the business'. I'm also one of those weirdos who doesn't have a Twitter-face account etc. I just have a soundcloud and a bit of forum activity here and there....

I created the artwork after all the music had been completed - like the music we wanted to have something from both sides included. The artwork is a combination of 2 pictures, one from each of us. The idea was to try and make neither picture stand out from the other so i tried a few combo's and we picked our favourite. I like the result

---

RFJ: Yet another rather long answer from me but, being as I'm pretty passionate about this topic, I'll proceed...

For non musical duties we split that up too and both took what we like to do best and ran with it. The packaging of the album was done in collaboration as well I’d say. GB took the art and I took the naming of the individual tracks and the record. I wanted the titles of the tracks, and the title of the album, to be representative of the general feel of what was going on musically, but to also thematically convey the spirit of what we had been doing, again, without being overtly obvious, the exception being the album title itself. Titling, trying to convey a message, theming, that’s all really my cup of tea though so I was happy taking over those duties.

As far as web presence well there’s this thing we are doing right now, answering these questions, which was my idea. I mean I really love pre and post release content, banter, what-have-you. Beyond just enjoying doing it I feel, in this market, you have to do something to set yourself apart from the other mass of people who are releasing stuff or what you have done is likely to find it’s way to the bottom of the pile pretty quickly. But, being as I enjoy talking about stuff, be it my own personal music or not, I find things like this to come rather easily to me. I feel all too often people spend a length of time working on something only to post a link up somewhere, the next day it’s gone, and they wonder why they’re not getting plays. In this independent market we have the unique ability of building a relational component with our chosen “audience”, where what you put in you get back. Maybe people will find the additional content of value, maybe they won’t, but if you don’t try it’s a guaranteed fail from the start unless you have a "name" so you might as well try something.

I mean upon release our little discussion here, within a period of two weeks, will be nearing 500 views. Now, I know those views don’t translate into 500 individual people, and whatever that count would be I’m not naive enough to think that would translate into downloads either. But I’m sure you see my point here and for the ones who actually have followed this to the end I’m sure it’ll make the listen all the more real for them when they do hit that play button. Like I said in another answer, if it deserves finishing it deserves a greater context, and if it deserves that then it deserves being presented in the best way you know how, and doing this accomplishes that for me.

The promo question is a hard one to answer for me, actually. We didn’t run an extensive blog campaign like I’ve done with stuff I’ve promo’d for AEP and the IDMf Netalbel. But I do have one primary contact out there in the real world that works for a blog / site with some eyes. I did send the release to him but, much to my dismay, he passed. That’s the risk you run though when you toss your soul into the internet machine. Maybe the guy was having a bad day, maybe he was listening too critically and missed the soul, or maybe the tracks just weren’t his cup of tea. Whatever the reason though, and as I’ve been saying all along, without risk there can be no reward, so letting the chips fall is always the best play no matter the result, even if the result isn't what you were expecting.

As far as distribution goes we discussed a few different labels, the Altered Echo Project being one. But, honestly, I didn’t really feel right releasing it through AEP for a multitude of reasons that I won’t go into here. The IDMf Netlabel was an idea we tossed around too but at the end of the day a self release was what felt most “right” so that’s what we went with. The result of that is doing something like this and having total control over how and when the release is presented. That, for me, is probably primary reason I changed from pursuing label representation to what we are doing now and I couldn't be happier with how it's turning out.

Last edited by RFJ; 30-11-2014 at 07:53 PM..

------------------
Old 01-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #26
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Part(s) 9 & 10 of 10

---

AMS: What are you opinions on the final product? Love? Hate? No comment? Where does the path go from here? Another EP, LP, Remix contest? Solicited remixes? International live gig? Retreating to a cave with a drum machine and the muse?

---

GB: I'm really happy with the EP. I like the music and I think other people will too. I've made new friends during the process and learned many new things. I can't think of any reason why we won't do more in the future. We will have a break first though. We haven't spoken about remixes but I always like the idea. Maybe we can put something together....

---

RFJ: Well, obviously I really like it. I think as an album the tracks all work together very well and sound like a single unit as opposed to some tracks that were made over time then thrown together and released. I think the music progresses much like a story with a narrative arc that takes the listener on a 20 min journey that works best in a single listen. That’s my primary goal actually. I’m not looking to make that track that someone is going to to listen to again, and again, and again, and again. I don’t necessarily need someone to toss this on their phone for their morning drive. That would be awesome if that ever happened, don’t get me wrong, but that’s not my intention. What I want is for someone to have a seat, take a listen, be moved in some way throughout the runtime, and be affected or taken away from their life, if only for a brief moment in time. If we can accomplish that, even with only a handful of people, then I’d count it all as success.

I’d be thrilled to pick back up where we left off at some point in time in the future. We have briefly discussed, here and there, this not being the end. When and how that will be remains to be seen but hopefully this can be the beginning of something a little larger than the sum of these five tracks. Remixes? Yeah I’d be totally down for something like that. I know a couple guys actually who run a project focused on the mutation of sound so I might have a leg up on that end already…

I titled the third track the definition of the word indelible; “Making Marks That Cannot Be Erased.” I gave it that name because that’s exactly what this work has done to me. Whatever happens from here on out this process made an indelible mark on my life. While I’m thrilled to be getting these tracks out there, seeing this part of things draw to a close is, by nature, bittersweet.

------

AMS: Describe your ideal outfit for pimping your album on the TV and why you would wear it.

---

GB: Stormtroopers outfit - I know they are the bad guys but the Empire are way more 'idm' than the Rebellion imo.

---

RFJ: I’d wear whatever outfit the highest bidder would pay me to wear because everything I’ve said before is bullshit and I’m really only in this for the money.

Last edited by RFJ; 01-12-2014 at 07:33 PM..

------------------
Old 01-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #27
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584080
Thanked 7,863 Times in 5,531 Posts

The Empire is totally more IDM.

RFJ: Crush velvet dark green with gold trim suit.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 AM   #28
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Continued thanks / big ups / what-have-you to this guy right here for not only being a dear friend but for helping Chris and I with the overall presentation of this release and for being so much more than just another guy on the internet in general...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
The Empire is totally more IDM.

RFJ: Crush velvet dark green with gold trim suit.
I think green and gold would suit me nicely. If only they made those long plastic penguin style cigarette holders that would hold the weight of my electronic one I'd be in business.

----

And a final word of thanks is owed to anyone else who read any of our daily commentary and much love to those of you who'll hit the play button when its made available in less than 24 hours from now...

12/02/14

Or...

02/12/14

Either way, we'll see you tomorrow...

------------------
Old 02-12-2014, 06:01 PM   #29
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

**Original post is now revised**

---

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
& [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Present...

Pay what you want or don't pay anything at all download now available via [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

But Together We'll Take Them By Storm leaves listeners hanging on the precipice of a vision— one of madness, chaos and beauty. The broken and cleaved beats swim among disembodied voices and search after soft-spoken sonar blips, hidden between synthetic textures. While But Together We'll Take Them By Storm fits neatly into an established niche in some respects its timbres, its voice, are all its own, and will leave you on the edge of some kind of knowing. -Aaron M. Smith

Out Now

Credits

All Tracks Written & Composed by - Grain Bastard & RFJ
Mixed by - RFJ
Mastered by - Grain Bastard
Blurb & Other Written Information - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Released via the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Stuff

GB & RFJ would like to thank [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
for penning our blurb and composing our 10 part questionnaire / interview in text that was be posted in this space leading up to release. We'd also like to thank all our friends in the Independent Electronic Music Community, without the inspiration you all have provided this would not have been possible.

---

This music was designed to be played at high volume so, sit down, turn it up, and enjoy!

-----

------------------
Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #30
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584080
Thanked 7,863 Times in 5,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post

---

This music was designed to be played at high volume so, sit down, turn it up, and enjoy!

-----

Believe that!

Love this album you two. Great work. Everyone who likes glitchy atmospheric music should really pick this up.

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #31
sbj
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
sbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond reputesbj has a reputation beyond repute
Copenhagen
MC Status: 6760

What are you guys made of ? What do you eat ? What do you drink ?

What is your secret ?

I guess that what I hear as some kind of audio wizardry,
comes down to experience and hard work + artistic talent.

These 5 tracks really shows me what it sounds like when all
the different elements that make a track comes together and blossom.

I'm only on my second listening but I know myself good enough to
know there will be many more.

Be proud. Be happy. Be giddy. Be awesome

'cause you've made one hell of a fine record.

:victory:

------------------
sbj is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:32 AM   #32
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544177
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,353 Posts

gents, well done.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:36 AM   #33
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1544177
Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,353 Posts

jeebus chris guys. this is gorgeous.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:13 AM   #34
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Nothing quite like coming home after a long day at work in the rain to feedback from respected peers. Thanks guys for checking out the release and hitting the play button. Really ties a ribbon on the journey, if you know what I mean, which I'm sure you do.

Thanks again guys!

------------------
Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #35
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

Thanks everyone

It's been a real joy for me to make this EP with RFJ - Hope there is more to come...

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #36
Trusty Steed
IDMf Artist
Trusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MCTrusty Steed is a savage MC
Shanghai
MC Status: 272302920
Thanked 2,809 Times in 1,657 Posts

Looking forward to getting into this later.

------------------
Trusty Steed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #37
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ƭ̵̬̊ View Post
Looking forward to getting into this later.
If it's half as epic and thought provoking as your stuff Mr. Steed we'll be doing alright. Your stuff has inspired me on many occasion so, hopefully, we can return the favor here.

Oh, and I realize now I'm the one who owes you a PM and not the other way 'round.

------------------
Old 09-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #38
Phomorian72
Soundwave Mangler
Phomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant future
Sevilla
MC Status: 1860

listening to it now, first track is really dark, love that sinister feel
mmm...amazing noises/perc

------------------

Phomorian72 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #39
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Really stoked for the recent comments guys.
Thanks for the listen and support.
Such a wonderful thing.

------------------
Old 12-03-2015, 10:05 PM   #40
noxae
Granular Poster
noxae has a spectacular aura aboutnoxae has a spectacular aura aboutnoxae has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

really wonderfull, i heard the whole album, but principally the first track makes me see great things, the track have at least 4 colours and lots of grains in the brown, you got it guys.

Advertisements

noxae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote