[Electronic Listening Music] AEP / ISAT / Jazzyspoon - A Mutation of My Environment - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf's User Releases Post your official releases here. Works in progress and promo spam will be removed.

Old 15-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #21
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199651968
Thanked 5,054 Times in 3,239 Posts
Re: [Electronic Listening Music] AEP / ISAT / Jazzyspoon - A Mutation of My Environme

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
I dunno who all of the artists are vs the IDMF screen names. haha.

There is some great music here.
Anyone who's artist name is not the same as the username has been noted in bold next to the artist in question. If the artist name and the forum name are the same they are left alone. As you can see several were from outside of IDMf. Obviously, those would be ones that you don't recognize the name and there is not a notation included.

Clear as mud probably.

1 - A sum of the Product - Phomorian Phomorian72
2 - Daydreamwalkers - Vlantis Mutation
3 - Long Trip Home - Neuroscientist Mutation - Bio Tainted
4 - Bigger pictures - Neu KatalYst Mutation
5 - The Long Trip Home - c.db.sn Emotional Weight Mix You
6 - Daydreamwalkers - Ambient Mechanics Mutation
7 - BPRMX - BiggerPictures.Mutate - RFJ
8 - The Long Trip Home - Ambient Mechanics Mutation
9 - What Happens in Waves - No Floors Mutation Triton 64
10 - What Happens in Wavs - Grain Bastard Rips Them Open to See Mix
11- Daydreamwalkers - Your City Sleeps Mutation
12- Long Trip Home - OCD Soundsystm Mutation
13- revLOVEr - Remco H. Mutation
14- The Great North Wet - Sapling Mutation Skrillex
15- The Great North Wet - Catnip and Claws Mutation
16 - The Long Trip Home - Nightdewller Mutation ndwella
17 - It's All In My Head - IG88 Mutation

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #22
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53360
Thanked 1,067 Times in 763 Posts
Re: [Electronic Listening Music] AEP / ISAT / Jazzyspoon - A Mutation of My Environme

AM is all baller, TWO LADIES TO THE PARTY
SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #23
Skrillex
IDMf Artist
Skrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MCSkrillex is a savage MC
San Fran
MC Status: 69860
Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,035 Posts

I've been lurking all the release threads so far, and now that I'm home I can finally post to the threads,

I know I'm not the best here, but I'd like to share what I did on my Remix.

I did ALOT of sample editing to the remix, with only the drum kit and bass being from my side. I really really liked the pads in this song because there was so much textures I could use for atmospheric sounds. I had cut favorite bits and transposed them and warped them to get the right sound. Suprisingly I even had made a cut on one of the pads so that it almost sounds voice-esque, and I really liked that. so alot of my main focus on the track was the atmosphere. the lead and other instruments were also from the original that I stretched and applied volume envelopes to. some of the percs were the original drum track's kicks transposed too. ableton was really useful for doing this, although I used maschine a good bit to record in shakers and what not.

I really enjoyed my time on this track since I use very much of what I knew and put it into this as well as learning a good bit in the process. I did run into a bit of trouble nearing the end since I was having low confidence in myself, almost not submitting. I was worried, but I am very glad I pushed through it and even more so to see I made it,

anyways, I'm not really great with words, but I enjoyed reading about you guys' little details into your tracks, and for me it gives it a bit more depth to what's going on behind it.

------------------
( ु⚈᷁௰⚈᷁ ू)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareTheCircle View Post
It sounds like two records playing at once .
Skrillex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #24
cyclops
One Eyed Cunt
cyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 255290827
Thanked 1,244 Times in 848 Posts

Stop being so self-effacing, your track is wonderful.
Confidence is sexy.
Start being sexy.

------------------
cyclops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 05:25 AM   #25
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrillex View Post
I've been lurking all the release threads so far, and now that I'm home I can finally post to the threads,

I know I'm not the best here, but I'd like to share what I did on my Remix.

I did ALOT of sample editing to the remix, with only the drum kit and bass being from my side. I really really liked the pads in this song because there was so much textures I could use for atmospheric sounds. I had cut favorite bits and transposed them and warped them to get the right sound. Suprisingly I even had made a cut on one of the pads so that it almost sounds voice-esque, and I really liked that. so alot of my main focus on the track was the atmosphere. the lead and other instruments were also from the original that I stretched and applied volume envelopes to. some of the percs were the original drum track's kicks transposed too. ableton was really useful for doing this, although I used maschine a good bit to record in shakers and what not.

I really enjoyed my time on this track since I use very much of what I knew and put it into this as well as learning a good bit in the process. I did run into a bit of trouble nearing the end since I was having low confidence in myself, almost not submitting. I was worried, but I am very glad I pushed through it and even more so to see I made it,

anyways, I'm not really great with words, but I enjoyed reading about you guys' little details into your tracks, and for me it gives it a bit more depth to what's going on behind it.
Thanks for coming in and letting us know. I didn't know you were a maschine user actually.

Probably my favorite thing about Live is the ability to edit audio in the way in which you describe then adding volume envelopes, or fades usually for me, to mimic things like attack and decay. One could turn practically nothing into a "synth" that way, with added efx and what-not. It's a really awesome thing how Live handles this type of stuff with such ease.

I can understand the low confidence thing you say about finishing your track too. I've said this before but, I think that's one thing that makes the creative process so satisfying. Were it all rainbows and blow jobs the end result would lose meaning I think and there would be little reason to push through and learn something.

Thanks again for this, and thanks for the submission...

Really nice work indeed.

------------------
Old 17-09-2014, 05:32 AM   #26
Jazzyspoon
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 35999096

If anyone posts their remix on their own SC page, I would love to know about it so I can repost it and add it to my Mutations set.

------------------
Jazzyspoon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 09:14 AM   #27
Phomorian72
Soundwave Mangler
Phomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant futurePhomorian72 has a brilliant future
Sevilla
MC Status: 1860

Great release indeed, two of my favourite tracks at the moment are Grain Bastard's and Night Dwellers, both have amazing drums. Any way there are so many...need more listenings by my side.
Is good to hear about each one's process also, love it, as personal and different as the the tracks are.
My process was like slicing nearly everything into samplers and transposing so it fits in key, then processing a very simple midi line in parallel thru a rack of arpeggiators and midi delays. Using velocity the midi signal goes to the different possibilities in the rack to reorder the slices or change the subdivision etc...these two out coming midi lines feeds every track in the project (except a few audio ones). This could look a very mental way of making music but lets me change the overall flow of the track with just moving a few knobs. So this is the way I'm working lately, empty tracks with "IN" activated and lots of automation.
I did use a single kick and a snare from my library...the rest is all material from the stems. Is good to have high quality material to work with but in the other hand when the stems are so good it's easy to feel that processing just ruin them. So I focused in finding an coherent structure (more or less) and subtle rhythmical variations instead of dramatic audio processing.
Phomorian72 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #28
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phomorian72 View Post
Great release indeed, two of my favourite tracks at the moment are Grain Bastard's and Night Dwellers, both have amazing drums.
hey, thanks! glad you liked it

this release has so many good tracks in it (read: all of them) that i can't really name a favourite, they are all special in some way or the other and that's fantastic, kudos to everyone who made it!

i was almost unable to get my track done because i composed it during a period where i barely had time to breath, let alone to make music - thankfully everything ended up well, though.

some insight about its making: i worked entirely in the box and i used an awful lot of offline/destructive audio processing. i cut some one-shot drum samples from the stems and ran them through some CDP 7 effects, while others were processed with vsts and then bounced to audio files. the little "stereo glitches" i frankly don't remember how i did them but it was likely on a similar way, i probably used some freq. shifters and other messy FSU/FFT effects, bounced it all to a loop (a 4-bar one? can't recall) and then started to slice, reorder and repeat everything on individual, almost-hard-panned tracks on the timeline. oh and some drum samples and the drum loop i used at the end are actually from What Happens In Waves.

the part from 2:32~3:00 was the first thing i composed - i actually redid this track like 3 or 4 times before i was satisfied with it (not the smartest thing to do when you don't have much time available), but always keeping this part intact. at some point i had something sounding like a weird mix between team doyobi and squarepusher, that's where the broken 8-bit-ish drums and synth starting at 1:16 came from actually. the intro was created by processing one of the stems through 4 different effects, bouncing them and layering them to sound like a broken radio of sorts.

maybe it's interesting to mention i used only free vst/vsti in this (except for Eventide's UltraChannel in the voice samples), including some weird but nice sounding 2-op FM synth i found... somewhere, and a couple of interesting fsu effects, and that's it i guess.

all in all it was a great experience doing this remix, huge thanks to isat/aep for making this happen, and congrats to everyone again <3

------------------
ndwella is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #29
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421882179
Thanked 5,084 Times in 2,934 Posts

*Phew* Haven't had any time to properly reply to this (my computer time is now saved for the weekends, but I was out of town last weekend). Thanks for including my track! And the second track! That's almost as good as being the first track!!

I don't have anything interesting to say about my track. I just took the midi from Jazzy's control pad input and fiddled with it until it sounded like a song (as it wasn't actually input from notes), and then went from there, throwing in a few elements of the original when it sounded right. I could have stretched the song out more, but it would have just been fluff.

The only thing I regret not doing is taking that main guitar riff and transposing it so it fit the key of my song. I've got some very simple square wave synth taking the place of the guitar, but I think I should have just used the original guitar.

As with all my shit, there's not much to talk about.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #30
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Hey thanks guys for the continued replies. I'd be like "so cool to read all about three of my favorites", and while true, its hard to categorize these mutations like that because I like all the tracks in their own way for different reasons. I will say though as related to the last three posts...

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
; the percussion on yours really floored me. I mean I knew you had some nice drum programming skills but the work you have done here really floored me. Also seeing that it was composed primarily using free VST's really puts the whole "you have to spend money for quality" debate to bed.

; The way in which you have weaved all these tracks together is stunning. You really have a style that I love, as evidenced by this being the second release I've used your track for the preview. Even after reading your "how to" I don't think I could go and recreate something to the level at which you have done here.

; I like yours so much because it really doesn't even sound like it came from a computer. I mean sure, there's some electronicky stuff happening, bit it all sounds so played and natural which is an amazing strong suit of yours. The first time I heard it I was on an airplane going from California to Okalhoma and I must have played it through on repeat at least five times. I was listening blind for judging purposes and at one point I remember thinking this has to be Vlantis. You really do have a style that's your own and also a style that I love everytime I hear a piece of yours.

Continued thanks to you guys for taking the time to not only submit, but detail your process to the community. The release wouldn't be the same without your tracks and hopefully the Altered Echo Project hasn't heard the last of you.

Last edited by RFJ; 20-09-2014 at 04:38 PM..

------------------
Old 20-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #31
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 210010
Thanked 4,200 Times in 3,114 Posts

First of all, thanks to all concerned for including both tracks I submitted for the release..tbh, I didn't really expect that..and so I was a little surprised when I saw the album listing.

Like Vlantis, I worked with the midi files, simply because it saves time to do so and makes things a lot more fluid for me work-wise. I mean Jazzy had done 90% of the work with his creativity and mixing to begin with..I merely messed around and had fun trying to mess things up, while trying to keep everything as faithful to the original as possible. I didn't want to change either track to the point where it became something completely different or something that was my own. But, I still wanted to leave a mark on both tracks that would reflect my own tastes and musical style..which I think I managed to do in the end.

For the most part, it all came down to finding the right sounds that sat well together in the mix..and listening to the over-all "sound" or "feel" they gave off as a result..nothing too complex or "out there"..just basic mixing really.

I, too, would have liked to made a slight change having now listened to the release..and that would be to bring the treble down a little on both tracks, as they sound much "brighter" in retrospect. I should add that has sod all to do with Mike's mastering skills..for which he deserves much credit, sex and beer. But as I'm not gay..and I don't even live in the same country as him, then he's shit out of luck and will have to make do with my praise instead!

Same goes to Rick and Aaron, and those at ISAT..thanks for coming up with this in the first place and making it possible. AEP is such a great idea and one that is going from strength to strength under the guidance of RFJ and Relic..and I'm sure will only get better as it continues to mutate ( pun intended ).

My final words go to the man himself..Jazzy..for producing such great tunes in the first place, that were and still are a real joy to listen to..as well as being great fun to work with in stem / midi form. Cheers, dude..long may you continue to create and produce..my world is a better place because of it.

Thank you.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #32
cyclops
One Eyed Cunt
cyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MCcyclops is a savage MC
ottawa
MC Status: 255290827
Thanked 1,244 Times in 848 Posts

if someone were to tell me that this was actually Meat Beat Manifesto, I would not be one bit surprised. *applauds*

------------------
cyclops is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 06:02 AM   #33
Jazzyspoon
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post

if someone were to tell me that this was actually Meat Beat Manifesto, I would not be one bit surprised. *applauds*
That's Emma. She is awesome. I kind of had to beg her to do one for me and I'm glad I did.

------------------
Old 21-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #34
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

You should beg her to come in here and tell us about her mutation.

She popped up on my suggested friend list the other day because I'm friends with you and, I must admit, I totally pulled a Facebook stalk.

@ self

------------------
Old 22-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #35
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421882179
Thanked 5,084 Times in 2,934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
; I like yours so much because it really doesn't even sound like it came from a computer. I mean sure, there's some electronicky stuff happening, bit it all sounds so played and natural which is an amazing strong suit of yours. The first time I heard it I was on an airplane going from California to Okalhoma and I must have played it through on repeat at least five times. I was listening blind for judging purposes and at one point I remember thinking this has to be Vlantis. You really do have a style that's your own and also a style that I love everytime I hear a piece of yours.
Thanks! Now all I have to do is go back and remaster every album I've released (slowly getting around to it), and I can retire in happiness.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #36
Jazzyspoon
Denver, CO

A Happy birthday to APoME (released one year ago today) bump...

------------------
Old 20-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #37
Jazzyspoon
Denver, CO

p.s. post your videos of these tracks!

------------------
Old 20-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #38
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

^Wow, how time flies. What's next for you then Jason? Anything cooking?

------------------
Old 22-09-2015, 01:17 AM   #39
Morgen
Savage Mad Cunt
Morgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MC
Kiel at the Baltic Sea
MC Status: 51238106

Really drawn into this.. A real surprise bag - you never know what lurks around the next corner.
Adventurous affairs, all quite intense. Continuing the exploration..

Advertisements

------------------
www.soundcloud.com/morgenwurde
www.soundcloud.com/coccus

My latest album Als je zuvor, a cinematic ambient doom jazz noir saga:
http://idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=149635
Morgen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote