New to the Site and Scene
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 25-02-2014, 03:21 AM   #1
james_wightman
IDMf's latest spammer
james_wightman is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
New to the Site and Scene

Hey all. If this isn't posted in the right place I sincerely apologize, feel free to move it wherever it needs to be. I looked through all of the forums and still wasn't really sure, but this seemed like my best guess.

My name is James - I'm a not-so-humble novice towards the nuances of the EDM scene and community, although I'd like to think I have a pretty good foundation of the music itself.

Anyways, in my spare time (which there isn't a lot of), I've been getting my feet wet with DJ-ing and mixing, not so much to be an artist or a creator, but a facilitator towards having a lot of fun dancing. That being said, my roommates and I are hosting a dance party of sorts in our basement this coming weekend and I'm in charge of music.

I have a playlist of individual songs, and if I need to I can work my way around it easily enough with crossfading and beat-matching, but I'd prefer that as a last resort. So, what I am looking for, I suppose, are some directions towards some solid, nonstop, high-energy, general mixes put together. Like I said I'm new to this, but everywhere I search all I find is really hyper-specific stuff like "electro house january 2013 part 5 mix!", and I am hoping for something fun that has variety of genres, bpm, older and newer music, and even songs that aren't necessarily EDM. Kind of obscure, but a set or a mix similar to "Phenomenon - Family Force 5 DJ Dance Party at Alive Festival" on youtube (can't post links) would be ideal, if you want to bother searching that.

For example - in my playlist, I've got Hardwell stuff, South Central stuff, SHM stuff, Pegboard Nerds stuff, etc. etc. etc., but I've also got Gangnam Style, Harlem Shake, Who Let the Dogs Out, It's Tricky, House of Pain, Nicki Minaj, etc. I'm sorry if that makes you cringe as a 'purist' of all things EDM. I just like to dance and have fun.

Anyways, if you made it all the way through I applaud and thank you. Sorry for being so anally specific and needy - I hope to stick around and be able to contribute and give rather than just receive and jet out. Thanks in advance to anything you guys might have.

Advertisements

james_wightman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 03:27 AM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8572680
Thanked 7,635 Times in 5,388 Posts
Re: New to the Site and Scene

Sounds like you better learn to mix/beat match by this weekend. As a former DJ, seems pretty lame to rely on pre-mixed music to be perfectly honest.

My recommendation is to just load your iPod and not pretend you are something you are not.

------------------

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 03:36 AM   #3
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744045441
Thanked 7,562 Times in 4,673 Posts

http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
james_wightman
IDMf's latest spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Sounds like you better learn to mix/beat match by this weekend. As a former DJ, seems pretty lame to rely on pre-mixed music to be perfectly honest.

My recommendation is to just load your iPod and not pretend you are something you are not.
I know how to beat match, and I am learning with baby steps.

It's not really a matter of pretending - I mean I'm not going to be pantomiming like I'm mixing anything live, or referring to myself as a DJ, I just have a desire to have the best possible music and am honest enough that I don't have the skill to provide it the way I would like it.

I know that's not impressive or commendable but I don't really care about impressing anyone - I just want everyone to have a great time
Old 25-02-2014, 03:42 AM   #5
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Then just play the music you like the best you can. Intoxicated people at house parties don't give two shits as long as you play tunes they like. There is no difference to them between ace DJing and you clicking "next" on iTunes.

------------------

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
Old 25-02-2014, 03:47 AM   #6
bass&moddedFreq
Digital Surfer
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910

Quote:
Then just play the music you like the best you can. Intoxicated people at house parties don't give two shits as long as you play tunes they like. There is no difference to them between ace DJing and you clicking "next" on iTunes.
Very true or if you really want to put a set from a festival on and when I have people over and Im just ganna plug in my Ipod i usually just make a little list with a few sets and a few specific tracks just so i can put it on when people get there and forget about it while i cook make sure people have drinks and drink my self lol... Thats what you are talking about right? You're not trying to really dj just have some nice tracks on during your get together

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 03:50 AM   #7
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744045441
Thanked 7,562 Times in 4,673 Posts

Don't worry about it too much.
The likelihood these days is that someone else who's well into it will turn up with their ipod and want to take over anyway.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2014, 03:52 AM   #8
james_wightman
IDMf's latest spammer

Quote:
It will likely end up being a balance between both. We have a pretty massive basement, and a platform that we usually use for furniture that is going to serve as a stage for the night, so it will be a quasi "venue" type setup, but I want to take part in dancing and socializing moreso than being tethered to my laptop all night.

Maybe I'll do some experimenting and try pre-recording a several separate 4-8 song mixes beforehand so I know it sounds good going on, and can still have flexibility and control over the music while moving around from time to time.
Old 25-02-2014, 04:08 AM   #9
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_wightman View Post
It will likely end up being a balance between both. We have a pretty massive basement, and a platform that we usually use for furniture that is going to serve as a stage for the night, so it will be a quasi "venue" type setup, but I want to take part in dancing and socializing moreso than being tethered to my laptop all night.

Maybe I'll do some experimenting and try pre-recording a several separate 4-8 song mixes beforehand so I know it sounds good going on, and can still have flexibility and control over the music while moving around from time to time.
I have done my own pre-mixes before and let them play. I have done as much quasi-DJing as proper DJing....don't worry about it too much besides picking the right music for the right crowd and have a good time : )

Advertisements

------------------

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB