How many VST instruments? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 21-05-2015, 09:39 PM   #21
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts
Re: How many VST instruments?

wow some of you guys are hardcore VST addicts (also(?)).

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #22
Str8Jaketed
IDMf Supporter
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
wow some of you guys are hardcore VST addicts (also(?)).
Yah I have had serious issues with my acquisitions over the years..so far I have not found any VSTA meetings..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 04:10 AM   #23
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8584080
Thanked 7,863 Times in 5,531 Posts

Yea...ya'll have a problem...that is fucking nuts...lol

------------------
Tunes That Go Boom 001

InTheAM on MixCloud
@DJInTheAM on FB
coming soon...monthly mix series...Tunes That Go Boom
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 04:16 AM   #24
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105322839
Thanked 1,094 Times in 849 Posts

I fear we have all become infected with a dreaded and incurable VSTisease.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i prefer the sage. makes me truly believe the unbelievable.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #25
Str8Jaketed
IDMf Supporter
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33010

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Yea...ya'll have a problem...that is fucking nuts...lol
I have never been described as sane.. ..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
jVs (25-05-2015)
Old 27-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #26
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MC
MC Status: 10360

- 16 VSTis (synths & 2 drum sequencers) that I use more or less regularly (10 would be enough now that I know the tools better...)
- 10 M4L & Live Instruments I use often or sometimes (5 would be enough)

- 30+ VSTis that I never or hardly ever use
- 20+ M4L & Live Instruments I never use

(- 100+ VST effects, 40-50 of these I use regularly)

[edit: I have to add that some time ago I had hundreds of freeware VSTis, but I seriously cleaned up and reorganized my VST folders a few months ago... that was a good decision btw]

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 01:23 AM   #27
Opium
Microknight
Opium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud of
Strasbourg, France
MC Status: 1210

I used to have a collection of about 50 VST's, and it was already a psychological problem to me as I have always tried to have less and less as I have the feeling of being more efficient this way. I slowly tend to have this feeling : "I want that bass, ok, let's open that VST".

Know I can sum up my tracks to this :

Blue II (For FM) ,Monark (For Mono Analogue), Razor (For Digital), Iris (For Sample Based), Bazille (For Poly Analogue), Serum (For WTable and other cool stuff)
Tremor (For Drum Synth), Breaktweaker (For Drum Sample and other cool stuff)
Kinetic Metal, Exhale, Signal, Rev --> For a touch of originality.

Fabfilter Bundle - Eosis AirEQ - Izotope Ozone - Vintage Compressors/Transient Designer - 2CBreeze - Replika - BREVERB - Ozone (For mixing & Mastering Purposes)

And that's it, I sold the rest of it. The result is that I get more efficient now than I ever was because each plugin is there on a purpose.
In the end, I'm even looking forward to buy a SuperSynth such as Omnisphere II or UVI Falcon to reduce even more my choice to one "go to" platform (I tried Synthmaster before but that's how the GUI made me feel :shitstorm Btw if anyone has an advice to chose a SuperSynth, tell me
Here is a sample of the VST I sold : Twin 2, Absynth, FM8, Massive, Diva, Zebra, Prism, Kontour, Rounds, Predator, Circle, ANA, DCAM Synth Squad, Spark, Rise & Hit, Turnado, Effectrix, Geist, Battery 4, RP Punch, RC 48, etc...

That's the best advice for productivity & creativity that I can give : chose your weapon wisely, it's useless to have thousand of weapons on you when this procrastination asshole comes if you don't know which one to use.

------------------
Opium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 05:14 AM   #28
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65510
Thanked 1,310 Times in 987 Posts

I have about exactly 100 VST instruments and effects at this time.
Most of them are freeware VST effects.

7 VST instruments are payware that I use regularly.
37 VST instruments are freeware.

I don't mind having alot of plugins because I try to vary tools and techniques every time I make a tune. I've been using a lot of the same freewares for a long time, so I understand most of them.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 06:03 AM   #29
Metaside
IDMf Artist
Metaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MCMetaside is a savage MC
MC Status: 10360

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: I think it's solid advice, but I also agree a little bit with Nystagmus: it's nice to see a good old friend (i.e. some freeware plug you spent a lot of time with, Synth1, Rez or whatever, or a "little" payware synth like Vanguard) again from time to time
I am thinking about selling some synths and effects, too (I don't have nearly as many as Opium listed, just a few), but I'm still not sure about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opium View Post
Btw if anyone has an advice to chose a SuperSynth, tell me
I really like SynthMaster, but the interface, well... I can tolerate it, at least there are a few versions with different colors, but all of those do not look very attractive, to be honest It is a very good synth at a crazy good price and they even have an academic discount and additional sales, but if it's not a budget question, I think I would go with Falcon - it seems to be even more flexible and it has a much nicer interface with better visual feedback. Seems awesome to me from what I have seen, but I can't rationalize paying for it (I think with all SynthMaster discounts and sales Falcon is about 10x the price of SynthMaster?) since I don't really need it...

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Metaside
Nystagmus (28-12-2015)
Old 28-12-2015, 09:43 AM   #30
lolirl
Savage Mad Cunt
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744050241
Thanked 7,658 Times in 4,720 Posts

As many as I need.
Use as many as you need.
You've been doing this too long to be asking these kind of dumb questions bruh.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Triton64 (18-01-2016)
Old 28-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #31
MFXxx
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1847727
Thanked 1,045 Times in 704 Posts

Im not going to list what in the plugin directory,m let alone what in the non vstplugin directory.

Mostly used; Diva, Sylenth1, Omnisphere, Vanguard, Zebra, Hive.

Which is kind of telling me something, hoarder!

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
Nystagmus (29-12-2015)
Old 30-12-2015, 04:51 PM   #32
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 70310
Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,024 Posts

I knew this thread was costing me money. So, now I added Blue II as well. Always liked Tob Papen's stuff.

I am kind of with lolirl on this... use as many as you need. No more, no less. I am definitely at the stage where it is more than can use. Many came with bundles such as Komplete and Arturia's V collection.

As of recent my go to synths that I use all the time are:
Omnisphere 2, Diva, Serum, Razor, Massive
Frequently used: Monark, Abl2, ReDominator

Effect modules I have more than I can count.
Go to plug ins: all of FabFilter (incl. Saturn, Timeless, Volcano) and Ozone7, Ubermod, Trash2, Ohmicide, Echobode, Valhalla reverb, Molekular, The Finger, Turnado, Glitch 2, U-he Satin, fXpansion Etch, zplane Elastique, LFOtool, MIDIshaper

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 03:20 AM   #33
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Zero, they all sound like shit.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 06:45 AM   #34
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 35510

I honestly use probably 50% hardware and 40 % native live suite sounds man it make my life easier but I still have about half a dozen vstis and out of those maybe only 3 that I use often and 2 never at all!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #35
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
on uranus looking for klingons!
MC Status: 329128850
Thanked 1,767 Times in 1,214 Posts

well the vst scan in sonar says 191.but i never use half of them.well....sorta.
i still use my oldschool synths like the wavestation and M1,sampletank is a favorite,as well as vangaurd.
my go to's are rob papen stuff-blue2,predator,blade etc.lately i have been digging diversion,and largo.
been using gladiator quite a bit now that i know how to diddle it.

------------------
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #36
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 70310
Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
Zero, they all sound like shit.
That's pretty ignorant and by any objective measure untrue. Preferring gear is fine, but don't make such sweeping statements that you know to be inaccurate.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Nystagmus (15-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 03:54 AM   #37
grinzler
Minor Glitch
grinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud ofgrinzler has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1260

I'm happy with Reaktor as my only plugin. First thing I did once I got used to how Reaktor works was delete the factory library so I could branch out into my own spots a bit easier. I have a few OCD problems so sometimes my patch collection will wind up something like: 4 distortions, 4 reverbs, 4 synths etc.
grinzler is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to grinzler
GomesR (16-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #38
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42416199
Thanked 5,644 Times in 3,665 Posts

I don't use a large number of VSTis, I probably only use between 6 and 10 regularly. The ones I do use are very good.

------------------
2nd Aug 2018, your audio dreams come true:

Its free, grab it, contribute if you like it. Then make some of your own and join in.
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #39
Benwaa

I probably only use around 4 Vsti's n total on a regular basis. there's the odd one or 4 too that i go to once in a while for a sound that they do very specifically but that's really about it.

where keeping the folder small goes to shit though, is when i open up a project from 5 years ago and it's missing a bunch of plugins...
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #40
ndwella
Soundwave Mangler
ndwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant futurendwella has a brilliant future
burger king isles
MC Status: 1910

something like 500, of which i probably only regularly use like 20. the only reason i don't clean all this mess up is that i'm too lazy to do it (and sometimes i stumble upon the occasional forgotten gems in this list, some weird and mostly unknown free synths/fx i've collected during these years).

it's not necessarily a bad thing to have a crapload of vsts, as long as it doesn't become a burden to you or makes you less productive. use whatever works best for you and your creativity

Advertisements

------------------
ndwella is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ndwella
A.M (06-01-2016)