Best Plug-Ins for Final Mixes - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #21
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1810
Re: Best Plug-Ins for Final Mixes

To me it sounds unreasonable that artists wouldn't be skilled. I think being able to make and mix a track is much more difficult than what a ME does. And a ME cannot fix what's not already there. ME is merely finishing what's already done.

I would understand this argument in the case that the musician is not the same guy that does the mixing.

Advertisements

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #22
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 200210
Thanked 4,004 Times in 2,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
To me it sounds unreasonable that artists wouldn't be skilled. I think being able to make and mix a track is much more difficult than what a ME does. And a ME cannot fix what's not already there. ME is merely finishing what's already done.

I would understand this argument in the case that the musician is not the same guy that does the mixing.
Sorry..but you're talking through your arse.

Like I said, to each their own..we're all free to believe whatever we want to believe, but that doesn't mean it's true. In the end, it's not about what either of us think or believe..it's about facts..and you really don't seem to understand them as much as you seem to think you do.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #23
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Sorry..but you're talking through your arse.

Like I said, to each their own..we're all free to believe whatever we want to believe, but that doesn't mean it's true. In the end, it's not about what either of us think or believe..it's about facts..and you really don't seem to understand them as much as you seem to think you do.
I don't think there are many facts regarding art.

------------------
Old 05-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #24
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
I don't think there are many facts regarding art.
We were talking about AIs vs MEs..why are you bring art into it and implying I said things I didn't?

Dude, you're either a troll or an idiot trying hard not to be..and failing miserably. I don't wish you bad or have ill-feelings towards you..in fact, I wish you all the best in both your life and your endeavors..but I'm not replying to any more posts you make.

Life is too short and my time is too precious.

------------------
Old 19-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #25
joaoricardo
Soundwave Mangler
joaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond reputejoaoricardo has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3280

I use Izotope Ozone to do my finals. It's very decent. I believe the hard work is on the samples themselves, therefore the final ajustments come together just fine

------------------
joaoricardo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joaoricardo
A.M (19-12-2017)
Old 20-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #26
arm23
Soundwave Mangler
arm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to beholdarm23 is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Quote:

------------------
Looking for inspiration and free secondhand hardware.
arm23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #27
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud ofPlague has much to be proud of
Munich
MC Status: 1010

I use subtle mixbus compression (Slate Grey) on the mix. Just as slight to not upset the mastering engineer. When I master in the box, I add iZotope Ozones post-eq (highpass), Stereo imager and Limiter at the end.
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #28
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64360
Thanked 1,287 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaoricardo View Post
I use Izotope Ozone to do my finals. It's very decent. I believe the hard work is on the samples themselves, therefore the final ajustments come together just fine
So do I. And I use the presets that come with it. I always overdo it in the settings and this should only be a final polish.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #29
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6160

I just squash my stuff with limiters. If it's accidentally still sounding good, I clip it just for the sake of it.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 04:16 AM   #30
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
brooklyn
MC Status: 32060

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Sorry, but that's bullshit..pure and simple. There is no way for such services to perform better than "professional" mastering "engineers", as each track is different and requires a different approach to mastering. Although the AI involved in such services is improving all the time, the end results can be very "hit or miss", depending on the mix supplied in the first place.

Try telling an AI about the emotional impact you'd like reflected in the end master and see how far you'll get.

I tried Landr a while back. What came out of it was pure shit. It boosted a low constant side-chain compressed bass drone into a booming fuckyou to the point that the track was barely recognizable. It is a terrible piece of web-software.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #31
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 64360
Thanked 1,287 Times in 949 Posts

I splurged recently and got Softube’s CL-1B based Tube-Tech Classic channel. I like the final polish it offers and of course a tinge of U-He Satin never hurts.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (31-12-2017)
Old 31-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #32
Lichtgestalth
Regular Freak
Lichtgestalth will become famous soon enoughLichtgestalth will become famous soon enough
Shanghai
MC Status: 110

Coming from Ozone 6 and 7 I just got me the iZotope Neutron 2 / Ozone 8 Advanced Suite. I'm only 3 tracks in but so far I am totally amazed, it works great for me and makes mastering quicker and easier. Neutron Visual Mixer is a great final mixing tool. The Tonal Balance Control is awesome to quickly fix unwanted peaks and holes and Ozone got better with LUFS and reference track mastering.

You can load a reference track into Ozone and it will adjust the current track to match loudness, EQ etc to the reference track which is great as a starting point to have consistency over an album.
Lichtgestalth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lichtgestalth
A.M (31-12-2017)
Old 31-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #33
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtgestalth View Post
Coming from Ozone 6 and 7 I just got me the iZotope Neutron 2 / Ozone 8 Advanced Suite. I'm only 3 tracks in but so far I am totally amazed, it works great for me and makes mastering quicker and easier. Neutron Visual Mixer is a great final mixing tool. The Tonal Balance Control is awesome to quickly fix unwanted peaks and holes and Ozone got better with LUFS and reference track mastering.

You can load a reference track into Ozone and it will adjust the current track to match loudness, EQ etc to the reference track which is great as a starting point to have consistency over an album.

Yeah..but make sure you keep an eye on that "intelligent assistant" or whatever it's called..the results it returns..although good..can still need adjusting a little or a lot..depending on what you're going for with your work.

I'm not directing this at you personally, Lichtgestalth..but to folks in general who are reading this. Like you said, it gives you a great starting point, but you still need to know what you're doing with it and don't just rely on the included presets. If you do, then you're doing both yourself and the software a huge disservice.

------------------
Old 01-01-2018, 10:36 PM   #34
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10534501

I don't worry too much nowadays what i have on the master bus usually just a UAD limiter and maybe a UAD SSL comp if its dance orientated, i feel its what you do in the mix that counts.

They do say the perfect mix doesn't need mastering, however i can understand mastering to get all of your album tracks coherent.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to cane creek
A.M (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #35
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 6160

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
i feel its what you do in the mix that counts.
^^

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #36
Laurend
Sample Destroyer
Laurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MC
Old Orleans
MC Status: 592593

Quote:
...i feel its what you do in the mix that counts.
I totally agree with that statement

Quote:
They do say the perfect mix doesn't need mastering, however i can understand mastering to get all of your album tracks coherent.
A good mastering always adds a little more life to your mix whatever is used on your master section during the mix.

------------------
Years Ahead since 2010
Mastering €2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now

Laurend is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #37
Bluesh1ft
Sample Destroyer
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2710

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
More and more I find that over-processing is really a problem in the mix most of the time these days I try to mix from a sound design sample choice Arrangement perspective I've been pretty happy with my tracks lately and I haven't even used an EQ on every track in the mix in fact I'm only averaging about 3 to 4 EQ instances in a project at this point
I think its a good idea to try to resolve eq issues closer to the source. That being said, I think I almost always use some low/hi pass filters and a couple notch eq's here and there. I just cant wait for a computer A.I. to do this for me.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #38
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8565380
Thanked 7,489 Times in 5,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesh1ft View Post
I think its a good idea to try to resolve eq issues closer to the source. That being said, I think I almost always use some low/hi pass filters and a couple notch eq's here and there. I just cant wait for a computer A.I. to do this for me.
I tend towards really, really gentle shelf EQ and notches only when I cast can’t make it work with gain staging/panning/planning (arragnement,sound design/choice). I don’t let mix concerns strictly dictate my creativity, but it pays to think both ways.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Bluesh1ft (22-01-2018)
Old 22-01-2018, 11:24 AM   #39
soundmodel
Microknight
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lichtgestalth View Post

You believe the O8N2 offers additional benefits over Ozone 7 Adv. (which I currently use and think is truly the best all-arounder for mastering).

------------------
Old 22-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #40
techstar
Sample Destroyer
techstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MCtechstar is a savage MC
Stafford, UK
MC Status: 124120

I have mastered my own tracks for years and I had quite a nice setup but then I started outsourcing it to a third party mastering engineer because I was struggling for time but more importantly because I wanted another set of professional and fresh 'ears' to take on the tracks. I still use a third party mastering engineer as if you find a good one they can really add some magic.

I have however used Landr on a couple of tracks recently and I have to say that it worked pretty well and I was pleased with the results. Their algorithms are much better than they used to be and like someone has already mentioned, they are improving all of the time.

Advertisements

------------------
techstar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote