IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Talkin bout vapourwave
View Single Post
Old 17-08-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
AsylumSeaker
Master of the LFO
AsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MCAsylumSeaker is a savage MC
MC Status: 245853
Re: Talkin bout vaporwave

There's clearly influence from earlier lo-fi oriented artists who referenced consumer culture etc, but I don't think those artists have a monopoly on the oeuvre or have exhausted all the potential of it. Some of the stuff coming out right now is at least as interesting to me as BoC, and I've worshipped BoC as deeply as the next man. There's also influence from screw music and microloop music and lots of other places, but there's nothing wrong with being influenced, and as referentiality is key to vaporwave then there's really nothing wrong with derivation in it - it's all apart of the philosophy of it. There's more diversity in this vaporwave stuff than can warrant dismissal on the basis of it already having been done, as it really hasn't.

I think that there's as much room for lo-fi music as there is hi-fi in the world, so I'm glad people are exploring it. The idea that high fidelity is the a priori default of what music should sound like is really strange to me. I see fidelity as a dimension, it's an axis that music can sit on, and if it's always sitting at the high end of it then it's one dimensional music. I think it's sad that most people are still striving for perfect clarity and polish when the depth that muddiness and clashing frequencies and poor fidelity bring is still generally considered to be something to avoid.

Anyway, lo-fi isn't even a defining characteristic of vaporwave.

Last edited by AsylumSeaker; 17-08-2013 at 03:39 AM..
AsylumSeaker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote