IDMf Artist Demo Submission Info - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 02-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #41
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031441
Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,524 Posts
Re: IDMf Artist Demo Submission Info

Wes mate, you're free to do as you please and so is IDMf. The label is not holding you back in any way or stopping you trying your luck with an almost infinite number of other labels out there. Almost all labels have some basic criteria they ask potential artists to follow once you look into it. Whether it's preferring hard or soft copies of the tracks, or how you label your stuff with your contact info. Also, most labels won't even take the effort to reply to "time-wasters" so we're already ahead of a lot of them. Why assume a hostile position when you're trying your luck? It doesn't make any sense going forward. Follow a few simple requests and you're likely to find potential partners a lot more accommodating.

Advertisements

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #42
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421871429
Thanked 4,869 Times in 2,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by faexoptim View Post
Hey,

I have a couple of questions related to the below (I appreciate it is an old post).

You mention the fact that you won't listen to songs that have already been downloaded and listened to by a heap of people already. I appreciate this, but surely it's not fair to say an artist should refrain from making their music public and hold on to it for weeks and weeks in the hope someone from a label responds. It's just a thought here but I'm sure you can see where I'm coming from. Most people want their music heard and hopefully appreciated. I don't think that's to say they aren't specifically interested in your label, but to say 'you've already put that song on soundcloud so we won't touch it' seems a bit draconian?

I don't mean that to sound argumentative, but it's just a surprise to me and apparently seems like I've been doing things wrong all this time.

Wes
No labels accept music that's public. At least this has been the case with every label I've ever read the submission guidelines for. If you're still at the point where you can't wait a few weeks because you want your newest track to be available NOW NOW NOW, then you probably need some more time making music before submitting to labels.

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #43
faexoptim
Learning The Ropes
faexoptim is currently spamming hard
Edinburgh
MC Status: 10

lolirl, I definitely wasn't adopting a hostile position so apologies if that's how it came across. It was just surprising. I hadn't even considered that being an issue in the past. It's very useful to have that information now and is something i'll take into accound going forward. to reiterate though, i wasn't complaining, and i respect your decision around only wanting previously unpublic songs. I did have a couple of tracks i was going to send over but in reflection I'll wait until i've finished the ones i'm working on now and drop them over without them being public.
faexoptim is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #44
ak47
Learning The Ropes
ak47 is currently spamming hard

can we share a whole album here?
ak47 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #45
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
can we share a whole album here?
Share where? If you want to submit something to be reviewed by the label look at the first post. If you just want to share a release there is a member releases section, however you need to have 30 posts and be a member for a week first. And by 30 posts it's not spam posts; posts that contribute to the forum.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #46
ak47
Learning The Ropes
ak47 is currently spamming hard

Sorry, I should have been clearer. In the members section I only see people sharing individual tracks.

I am still accumulating reputation so I can post my music, but I wanted to ask, when I do, can I share my whole album, or are the rules such that I should only share one track?

-AK
ak47 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #47
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

You mean the listening booth? Sure you can post it there. Most people post tracks as they are works in progress to get feedback, but some post albums there as well.
Old 23-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #48
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105317639

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
Sorry, I should have been clearer. In the members section I only see people sharing individual tracks.

I am still accumulating reputation so I can post my music, but I wanted to ask, when I do, can I share my whole album, or are the rules such that I should only share one track?

-AK
You can share your album in the Member Release thread when your post count gets high enough.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #49
chile
chile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MC
Hull
MC Status: 120124

Hi, I just submitted a private soundcloud demo to your email.. It's only one track though as I didn't read the rest of the thread where you recommend submitting more than one piece until after I'd already sent it (its not written in the original post).. Will it be ok? I don't want to clutter your inbox.. Also I didn't write much about myself in the email, but I put a mini press release etc into the description for the track instead..

Thanks
chile

Last edited by chile; 29-10-2014 at 06:05 AM..

------------------
chile is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #50
Benwaa

yeeeaaah... that email's probably gotten ignored already as it was just along the lines of

"Hey!
Check it out...
**Soundlcoud link**

Cheers"

people should really read stuff before sending things like demos off, and more importantly remember there's a HUMAN BEING on the other end of that email.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #51
chile
chile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MCchile is a savage MC
Hull

Actually I pasted the soundcloud link and then said cheers, chile. And I did read what you'd written in the origiunal post carefully.. You don''t mention to write anything in the email in the original guidelines.. You just say to send submissions to this email with DEMO in the title, which I did. I wasn't trying to be rude to you, its just I wasn't aware that I had to read the rest of the thread, where you add that people need to submit more than one track and that you need to provide info and ideally photos in the email. I didn't think you'd want a long message since you mention you get a lot of demos in. It'd probably be helpful if that information is editted into the first post, if thats what you want from the people submitting tracks to you.

I hope you can understand that I wasn't trying to wind you up or disrespect you guys. I've been a member of this forum for many years, but haven't contributed much or been on much as I didn't take my production seriously, it was just an occasional hobby.. Now I'm trying to take production more seriously and am learning from you guys here, and I'd like to get more involved on the board in general, whether thats on the label or not.

I did read the whole thread later and when I read that you ask for info about yourself, I opted for putting more info into the soundcloud description and mentioned that in the post below, because I didn't want to be seen as spamming you with another email.. If you don't want to check the demo on that basis then I can send you another email out at some point.

Apologies for the misunderstanding

Last edited by chile; 29-10-2014 at 09:41 PM..

------------------
Old 29-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #52
Benwaa

Look at it this way, if I get 5 demos today I only have time to listen to one, all are written like yours bar one email which has a bit more than, hello, link, bye - something I can see has had a little thought and effort put into - which if those 5 emails will I listen to the demo from?
Someone I can see makes the effort - so probably makes the edgier with their music too and is obviously submitting to te label because they want to be on it, or someone who makes no effort and on initial viewing gives the impression they'd make no effort with their music either?
With such minimal info in the email how would I know to look in the info in soundcloud? Especially as I had nothing sent I me to motivate me (in the form of informing m about you and your music) to click that link?

I don't think it's rude how you addressed your email at all. I think it's thoughtless, and very tardy. Do I really want to engage and work with someone who can't be bothered to make an effort to even sell themselves or stand out a bit from the other demos sent in? Is hat I mean by there's a human being on to the other end of that email is that you have to engage that human being. How would you engage a stranger on the street about your music? Walk up to them out of the blue, say "hey! Listen to this! Cheers!" Or would you attempt to at least justify your reasons for trying to communicate with them to take time out to pay attention to you?

It seems harsh, but in reality it's why so many demos get nowhere, no effort is made and no label wants an artist on board that can't be bothered about even their own music.

So far from rude, just ill thought about and lazy.
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #53
chile
Hull

That's fair enough, it was lazy of me on the email front. You don't see the effort I put in though to contact you here before it had become an issue and my explaining that I put in a press release and a lot of other details in the sound cloud description. Judged solely on email, yes OK I was pretty thoughtless and I won't be doing that again, but that's clearly not all I did

Last edited by chile; 30-10-2014 at 12:01 AM..

------------------
Old 30-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #54
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile View Post
That's fair enough, it was lazy of me on the email front. You don't see the effort I put in though to contact you here before it had become an issue and my explaining that I put in a press release and a lot of other details in the sound cloud description. Judged solely on email, yes OK I was pretty thoughtless and I won't be doing that again, but that's clearly not all I did.

I'm currently stuck with a track thats private for you to listen to.. Is there a chance you'll listen to it or can I remove it now..
You might want to wait for the next open genre compilation. They just had one and everyone can submit just a track to be judged for entry on the release. It sounds like that might be more what you are looking for. Usually, from what I have seen, the artist releases are pretty in depth, have artwork submitted, have a backstory, inspiration along with a set of tracks, an actual album ready to be mastered for release.

If you read that whole thread you would see that the artist demo submission isn't really for just a stand alone track.

Last edited by Muse-ic; 30-10-2014 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Word change- release for demo...
Old 30-10-2014, 12:42 AM   #55
chile
Hull

OK thanks muse-ic. Before I read your reply I submitted another email again (I don't like being called lazy so I decided to pull my socks up and do a proper job of it this time) to give more of an idea of what I do. It's still one track. If its unacceptable for just one track to be submitted then perhaps you could consider it for a future compilation. If not, I'll keep my more promising work private and send another submission when I have an EPs worth ready. I have already mentioned it before, but it would be great if the information about not sending just one track could be put in the OP, as that will make things much clearer for submitters.

------------------
Old 30-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #56
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031441
Thanked 7,280 Times in 4,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chile View Post
but it would be great if the information about not sending just one track could be put in the OP, as that will make things much clearer for submitters.
Makes sense.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #57
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Makes sense.
I suppose from the op it might seem you can submit just one track:
Quote:
When you are sending more than 1 track please archive your tracks by using Winzip or Winrar
Guess it wouldn't hurt to add any/all the info further down the thread into the op for clarity.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #58
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

While the op could use updating, the thread is still only 3 pages long.

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #59
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
While the op could use updating, the thread is still only 3 pages long.
Yeah, pretty easy to get through. And, yeah don't piss off and lecture the guy putting out the releases.
PR 101.

Old 30-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #60
Benwaa

You can send one track in, generally though I'd expect that to be sent as a prospect for a future compilation, or so fucking amazing it says release me with more from this artist!! I think it's important to show you want to be on a label to that label and show that when you're submitting your music you're asking someone to invest in you as an artist (I don't mean financially) knowing what it's about shows that. So I'd half hope people would see we've never had a single track release and as such submit it for the reasons above. I don't want to make it hard as fuck for people to submit their music, on the other hand it has to be in a way that will separate the wheat from the chaff from initial contact. As said previously, if you're too lazy to make a small effort to introduce yourself, stranger, then I don't feel motivated to click that link over someone else's. Everything you need to know is in the op, do I need to update it with "use common sense" as a submission guideline too?
Either way, this doesn't excuse less than 10 words and a link in a contact email, as quite a few people - mostly chancers who aren't even or have never been in the forum - do.

It hasn't pusses me off btw, I'd rather it be discussed if someone doesn't understand than just never get it. You'll find that if you submit to any label looking for quality that these basic requirements are the same.

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote