Best equipment (Laptop/PC?!) for Fruity Loops 10?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Your Music

IDMf Netlabel

The Studio

Community Center

Music By Genre

Groups

Go Back ŧ The Studio ŧ The Studio
Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
eazypop
Analog Lurker
eazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to behold
The Hague
MC Status: 783
Best equipment (Laptop/PC?!) for Fruity Loops 10?

My computer is crap. I love it and it has been a good friend to me these past 3 years but i know it's time 2 upgrade... The only thing is that i don't know that much about computers. I wanna have a computer that works optimal for Fruity Loops 10, never mind all the other software bullshit. The only reason that i have my computer is to use fruity loops, winamp and mozilla firefox. Some friends of mine told me that if i buy seperate parts from internet and assemble my own PC, i would be able to have a decent computer for a pretty decent price, but i really wouldn't know what parts to buy...
Another thing that i'm intrested in is buying a laptop cause i'm planning to travel (also for dj-ing/live performances). But i know very little about laptops, if they even come close to the specs needed for FL...

I gues what im asking is if anyone knows how much it would cost me if i would buy parts for a new PC or buy a laptop (both optimized for fruity loops 10) and what products would then be best?

I thought i'd just ask

Kobieeeeee

Advertisements

------------------
Turtle Birth
eazypop is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: enei
Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
h-2
Soundwave Mangler
h-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MC
Oxford
MC Status: 39430
Re: Best equipment (Laptop/PC?!) for Fruity Loops 10?

A quad core processor is always cool. I dont think there's much otherwise spec wise to specify in regard to using FL, but it might be worth knowing that FL can only address a maximum of 4gb in extended memory mode, and only 2gb normally..

------------------
Doctor FACT is knocking at the door - Someone, please! Let the man in.
h-2 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
eazypop
Analog Lurker
eazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to beholdeazypop is a splendid one to behold
The Hague

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-2 View Post
A quad core processor is always cool. I dont think there's much otherwise spec wise to specify in regard to using FL, but it might be worth knowing that FL can only address a maximum of 4gb in extended memory mode, and only 2gb normally..
hmmm... i don't actually know what a quad core processor is and i don't know what you meant by extended memory mode... sorry.
maybe some things learn i must...

------------------
Turtle Birth
Old 08-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Phosphate
Radial Developer
Phosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MCPhosphate is a savage MC
Missouri
MC Status: 138588

I have an Asus G73jh laptop and FL 10 works fine for me. Perfect for travel as you said.. Good luck!

------------------
Phosphate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #5
h-2
Soundwave Mangler
h-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MCh-2 is a savage MC
Oxford
MC Status: 39430

Well if you go for an intel I5 or above and 6gb of memory you'll be set to use FL effectively

------------------
Doctor FACT is knocking at the door - Someone, please! Let the man in.
h-2 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
eazypop
Analog Lurker
The Hague

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-2 View Post
Well if you go for an intel I5 or above and 6gb of memory you'll be set to use FL effectively
you really need to know that i almost don't know anything about computers...
I know how to work fruity loops though

------------------
Turtle Birth
Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
Decep Tivity
Minor Glitch
Decep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 17575

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazypop View Post
you really need to know that i almost don't know anything about computers...
I know how to work fruity loops though
Quad-core CPU = CPU with 4 cores running processes simultaneously

The fastest processors/CPUs in the market are second generation Intel i5's and i7's, among them there are different models. The high end i5's and i7's are quad-core.

RAM/memory = what your computer stores temporary information to (for only what the computer's processing at the moment) so the more RAM your computer has, the more tasks your computer can do simultaneously. 4GB is a pretty decent amount, but you can get 8GB and 16GB too

Hope this helps! I'll be happy to help more if you still don't quite understand

------------------
Decep Tivity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
eazypop
Analog Lurker
The Hague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep Tivity View Post
Quad-core CPU = CPU with 4 cores running processes simultaneously

The fastest processors/CPUs in the market are second generation Intel i5's and i7's, among them there are different models. The high end i5's and i7's are quad-core.

RAM/memory = what your computer stores temporary information to (for only what the computer's processing at the moment) so the more RAM your computer has, the more tasks your computer can do simultaneously. 4GB is a pretty decent amount, but you can get 8GB and 16GB too

Hope this helps! I'll be happy to help more if you still don't quite understand
Well, whats the difference between those Intel i5's and i7's and what model would be best for FL10?
Actually, (not meaning to be cheeky) did you read my original post (first post) cause I haven't really had a direct answer to that, and I think you might know this

------------------
Turtle Birth
Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Decep Tivity
Minor Glitch
Decep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MCDecep Tivity is a savage MC
Melbourne

Quote:
Well, whats the difference between those Intel i5's and i7's and what model would be best for FL10?
Actually, (not meaning to be cheeky) did you read my original post (first post) cause I haven't really had a direct answer to that, and I think you might know this
Sure, I'll do my best...
Firstly, what's your budget? And what other stuff are you gonna do with your computer? If you want to do some gaming then you'd want to pay for some graphics card.

The two best CPU choices out there are the Intel i5 2500K (~$220), and the Intel i7 2600K (~330). The 2600K really doesn't have much more than the 2500K does, however there are some nice things like hyperthreading and a higher clock rate but you dont have to worry about all that. If you have a lot of money to spend, go for the 2600K.

So yeah, it depends on how much money you have to spend.

Oh and of course, you could opt for a laptop...

Last edited by Decep Tivity; 08-31-2011 at 01:11 PM..

------------------
Old 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
redblackwhite
Radial Developer
redblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselves
MC Status: -100230

eazypop, I recommend you go stick with a regular computer. No offense intended, but if you don't know what ram is or what the number of cores means you have a long mountain to climb, and it will be rather tedious if you intend to build your own desktop.
You can buy a very good laptop that will be more than what fruity loops can use for under 500euros.
If you really want to dj though I recommend a macbook pro. Their aluminum cases can take a beating, mine has fallen from over 1.5 metres and it still works perfect (has some visible deformations, but internally perfect). The new 13 inch is what I would buy (4gb ram, 2.3ghz i5, 7 hour long long long battery, great looking and super durable case and 320gb hd). The thing with dj computers is they need to be durable. Otherwise a lenovo thinkpad comes to mind as affordable and good performance.

I also recommend switching to ableton or pro tools if you are windows based OVER fruity, because they take better to faster machines. Especially when you get a new computer it wouldn't be a very difficult switch. Also, remember to make sure your laptop and audio interface work together.
redblackwhite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
eazypop
Analog Lurker
The Hague

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblackwhite View Post
Otherwise a lenovo thinkpad comes to mind as affordable and good performance.
I don't really have the money for a macbookpro and i'm planning to stick to windows, so i checked out the lenovo thinkpad but it seems to me that it has loads of extra stuff in it, i just really want to be able to use Fruity Loops 10 at it's optimal strength (actually also Native Instruments' Traktor) and Internet (WiFi) and that's all...

------------------
Turtle Birth
Old 09-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
Montreal
MC Status: 13017626

For a desktop PC production setup, if you can't build it yourself at least encourage your local computer parts dealer, they usually assemble for a fair price and it will still cost you less than any other big name retailers.

On the laptop "live/travel" setup, I don't know much so can't help ya, but I heard there are good laptop brands for this specific reason. Again, you don't wanna go with HP or Acer and the likes.

------------------
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
redblackwhite
Radial Developer
redblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselvesredblackwhite should just kill themselves
MC Status: -100230

Quote:
I don't really have the money for a macbookpro and i'm planning to stick to windows, so i checked out the lenovo thinkpad but it seems to me that it has loads of extra stuff in it, i just really want to be able to use Fruity Loops 10 at it's optimal strength (actually also Native Instruments' Traktor) and Internet (WiFi) and that's all...
Not all the lenovo's are over packed.
Look at some of the cheaper options.
I'd shoot for around 4gb of ram (you can always add that in post purchase, just make sure the motherboard supports that much ram)
And at least a pretty fast dual core, although I think an i3 would cut it. i3's are limited to like 2.2ghz but they do have "hyperthreading" so it should be fine for something like audio processing. I'd shoot for an i5 though.
My mbp is 2.53ghz dual core 4gb ram and it has no issues in logic. I'm absolutely positive it could run fruity with no hiccups.

Again I'd recommend trying out pro tools too.
redblackwhite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
eazypop
Analog Lurker
The Hague

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblackwhite View Post
Not all the lenovo's are over packed.
Look at some of the cheaper options.
I'd shoot for around 4gb of ram (you can always add that in post purchase, just make sure the motherboard supports that much ram)
And at least a pretty fast dual core, although I think an i3 would cut it. i3's are limited to like 2.2ghz but they do have "hyperthreading" so it should be fine for something like audio processing. I'd shoot for an i5 though.
My mbp is 2.53ghz dual core 4gb ram and it has no issues in logic. I'm absolutely positive it could run fruity with no hiccups.

Again I'd recommend trying out pro tools too.
Uhmm i'm very sorry for my low knowledge of computers but I really wouldn't know how i could see if the motherboard supports 4gb of ram and what do you mean by an i3 and an i5? Are these laptop models by lenovo? If they are, i really can't find them on their site... Btw i have saved up now and i have 500 euro's (i don't mind saving up a bit more if i have to). Maybe you could recommend me a specific laptop (maybe with a link or something)...

------------------
Turtle Birth
Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Decep Tivity
Minor Glitch
Melbourne

Quote:
Uhmm i'm very sorry for my low knowledge of computers but I really wouldn't know how i could see if the motherboard supports 4gb of ram and what do you mean by an i3 and an i5? Are these laptop models by lenovo? If they are, i really can't find them on their site... Btw i have saved up now and i have 500 euro's (i don't mind saving up a bit more if i have to). Maybe you could recommend me a specific laptop (maybe with a link or something)...
Okay okay okay....
When searching for information about laptops, they usually mention somewhere a maximum RAM capacity. For example, if it says the laptop can hold up to 16GB, you might just buy the laptop installed with 8GB, but you could opt to replace it with 16GB if you wanted to, no problem. (of course, I'm exaggerating here, no-one really needs 16GB). Saying that a laptop can hold x amount of RAM means that the motherboard will support x amount of RAM.

The newest and best line of Intel processors are split into three levels of performance: i3, i5 and i7. i3 is slower than the others, i7 is fastest, you get the idea. Most branded computers/laptops in the market today have Intel Core processors (i3, i5 or i7). Brands may mention something like a "Lenovo i5 Thinkpad" in the title or whatever; that just means that the laptop has an i5 processor (by Intel).

Processors come in different clock speeds, eg. 2.5 GHz (gigahertz). A higher clock speed doesn't necessarily mean the CPU is faster.

Okay, my advice: Choose a laptop with at least an i5 or i7. 8GB of RAM is really nice to have, but 4GB should suffice if you wish. (I would go for 8). For solely making music, graphics performance isn't important, so you'd even be fine with integrated graphics (no dedicated graphics card).

I'm sorry, but I can't give you specific recommendations, because there's so many choices out there. If you had more nitpicky things that you want in your laptop, that would help narrow your selection, and I could possibly help more too. If I were you, I would save up for a laptop around the 1,000 dollar range, which would work fine for at least 2 and a half years.

Feel free to ask for more help!

EDIT: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
This laptop looks really nice for the price, great features and performance, its currently out of stock on that website but I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere else. The price would be different in the Netherlands, I would think.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
this looks good too.

Last edited by Decep Tivity; 09-08-2011 at 12:32 PM..

------------------
Old 09-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
eazypop
Analog Lurker
The Hague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep Tivity View Post
Okay okay okay....
When searching for information about laptops, they usually mention somewhere a maximum RAM capacity. For example, if it says the laptop can hold up to 16GB, you might just buy the laptop installed with 8GB, but you could opt to replace it with 16GB if you wanted to, no problem. (of course, I'm exaggerating here, no-one really needs 16GB). Saying that a laptop can hold x amount of RAM means that the motherboard will support x amount of RAM.

The newest and best line of Intel processors are split into three levels of performance: i3, i5 and i7. i3 is slower than the others, i7 is fastest, you get the idea. Most branded computers/laptops in the market today have Intel Core processors (i3, i5 or i7). Brands may mention something like a "Lenovo i5 Thinkpad" in the title or whatever; that just means that the laptop has an i5 processor (by Intel).

Processors come in different clock speeds, eg. 2.5 GHz (gigahertz). A higher clock speed doesn't necessarily mean the CPU is faster.

Okay, my advice: Choose a laptop with at least an i5 or i7. 8GB of RAM is really nice to have, but 4GB should suffice if you wish. (I would go for 8). For solely making music, graphics performance isn't important, so you'd even be fine with integrated graphics (no dedicated graphics card).

I'm sorry, but I can't give you specific recommendations, because there's so many choices out there. If you had more nitpicky things that you want in your laptop, that would help narrow your selection, and I could possibly help more too. If I were you, I would save up for a laptop around the 1,000 dollar range, which would work fine for at least 2 and a half years.

Feel free to ask for more help!

EDIT: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
This laptop looks really nice for the price, great features and performance, its currently out of stock on that website but I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere else. The price would be different in the Netherlands, I would think.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
this looks good too.
Thnx man!

Well I don't really have nitpicky things... I think...
Maybe these things:
I've always had problems using my Ipod on windows (I-tunes runs very slow on my computer and some of my friends have the same problem. Maybe it's just because we all have crappy computers...) and I would like to have a laptop where I could just easily put songs on/of to my Ipod (120gb).
I much rather perfere the windows XP "style" (idunno just the way things work)...
Maybe it's possible to get a pretty durable laptop around 500/600 euro's (ohyeah, well I don't really have the money to get one from a thousand dollar range... I could save up, but i've started dj-ing and iv'e got more and more parties/events coming up, so i actually "need" a laptop)
And maybe one that doesn't get so warm when you sit with it on your lap (Btw i'm someone who's always careful with my stuff, i've had my bike already three years and bikes in general have been my only means of transportation since iwas like 10 or something hahahaaha)
I was listening to Corc when i was writing this

thnankyou for your help

------------------
Turtle Birth
Old 09-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #17
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762541

Itīs not Fruity Loops, itīs FL STUDIO!
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #18
eazypop
Analog Lurker
The Hague

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
Itīs not Fruity Loops, itīs FL STUDIO!
wtf...

------------------
Turtle Birth
Old 09-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
rewriter
Savage Mad Cunt
rewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MCrewriter is a savage MC
Sacramento, CA
MC Status: 21834316

I think it's funny that everyone is trying to convert him

Guys, if it works for his workflow then let him go at it!
rewriter is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #20
eazypop
Analog Lurker
The Hague

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewriter View Post
I think it's funny that everyone is trying to convert him

Guys, if it works for his workflow then let him go at it!
Yeah! thnx man

Advertisements

------------------
Turtle Birth