The future of IDMf - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #41
Benwaa
Re: The future of IDMf

I've only just noticed this thread - I'm all for helping to organize releases and steer artists through the process of getting their work out on the label. Having gone through the process of managing the upcoming tech comp i have a really good insight now into what is needed and required i feel, and i think that experience stands me in good stead to continue to manage releases alongside you fid if you're happy with that. Perhaps we could build up a solid team this way with others who have experience in such things?

As i see it if we can get a team together to manage certain aspects (each individual assigned to a specific task permanently) we can overcome the issues of the label clashing with personal lives alot easier to ensure the timescale and smoothness of releases is streamlined and a lot more workable.

Also, whilst not the most amazing ME, If any artists feel they want to approach me for getting their work mastered with a view to submitting it to the label then please do, at least until we find a permanent engineer to work on the releases anyways.

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #42
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,449 Times in 1,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Fidelium, more power to your elbow. IDMf is a fantastic place for musicians and music fans, and it's only natural that it should be bursting with music made by the members. It's important to remember two things: if the netlabel is going to be Creative Commons, then fun is paramount (everyone should feel able to contribute, wherever their talents lie); there is a danger that too many releases will result in a drop in IDMf's high standards.

You have a tricky task in having to please the forum members/contributors and music fans who enjoy your/our(!) netlabel and expect to hear something worthwhile. I think that there's enough talent and energy among the members to ensure a steady supply of good music.

The netlabel is an exciting prospect for the budding musicians here; it adds an extra frisson of excitement to this febrile place. The forums would be poorer without it.

For all those wavering over whether to submit music: do it. You love music, don't you? Why not enjoy it even more? Slap it down, get excited and have fun with it. What's the worst that could happen? Trust me, I've had my ears raped numerous times by godawful netlabel albums - the stuff I hear from IDMf and the members' signatures is ok by me.

Best of luck with your endeavours. I've already got IDMf009 on my listening pile.
This is a really good post. You totally know what I'm going through right now xD

On one hand I want to say "fuck it, everyone come along and we'll release you" but:

1. We can't send out a mass PM for every single release or it will be viewed as spam, so we have to stay put to a schedule, maybe one to two release periods a month with a monthly newsletter through idmf as we've done in the past.
2. We have to find the middle ground between "complete artist control" as coax said and then "quality control" as perm put it. Here's the thing about that: it's pretty easy to tell when something is incomplete. Mix problems, art issues, complete ignorance... I've heard so many sloppy and poorly made submissions in my time that it hurts. At what point do I say, "ok that's good enough, we'll release it" or "you should put a little more time into this"?? I don't know how I feel about a "no holds barred" label. Hitch puts forward a really good point there.

Also, if anyone is looking to submit, please do. Earways are open. [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Finished products please. If mastering is the last thing you need talk to Benwaa.

Speaking of which, Benwaa how interested are you in mastering the open genre compilation from last spring?
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #43
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghytwembpang View Post
You forgot to mention my name. D:

*crys because Ab and Clay are cooler than he is*
Oh yeah and that furry guy too
Old 01-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #44
Narcofunk
Bad, Bad Cunt
Narcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MCNarcofunk is a savage MC
In sharky waters
MC Status: 400169760

Hitch said what i think, kinda.
Besides, there's a lot of talented people in here, but how many of them are going to submit their works? If the level of the IDMf releases went down i for once would be less interested in listening to future idmf compilations, eps or albums, and i guess it would be the same for many others.
What made some of the past idmf releases awesome is their quality, that is pretty obvious, and that is the reason why i would be interested in listening more. Less quality check = less interest, imo.

------------------
Narcofunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #45
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269465058
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,874 Posts

I think Narcofunk has a point, the quality of the release should remain very high.
More releases should not mean less quality.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #46
Benwaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelium View Post
Speaking of which, Benwaa how interested are you in mastering the open genre compilation from last spring?

certainly man - i will give it my upmost attention to get it done asap yet with the quality it deserves, PM me the liks and details man and i'll get to it pronto!
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #47
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

mm yes, this post does make me happy aswell.
now stop idling in the chatroom so we can talk a bit, fid

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #48
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031391
Thanked 7,279 Times in 4,524 Posts

I don't think anyone's ever said that IDMf should just release any old shit tbh.

Often in the past though it was implied that some of the submissions were overlooked on "quality control" grounds when really it was more of just a taste/genre clash and that's a shame.

To me it appeared that "the label" were trying to keep things as open as possible just in case rather than clearly defining the goalposts of what they wanted one way or another and i think that's one of the first things that should be clearly defined.

You can't really be the A&R guy at a hiphop label if you don't like hiphop, can you?
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #49
fidelium
IDMf Artist
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcofunk View Post
Hitch said what i think, kinda.
Besides, there's a lot of talented people in here, but how many of them are going to submit their works? If the level of the IDMf releases went down i for once would be less interested in listening to future idmf compilations, eps or albums, and i guess it would be the same for many others.
What made some of the past idmf releases awesome is their quality, that is pretty obvious, and that is the reason why i would be interested in listening more. Less quality check = less interest, imo.
Good points. I know I will continue to focus on quality control in the same way and please know I haven't lowered my standards at all. The problem in the past is GREAT albums getting turned down because of lack of time/energy/ability. I think what needs to happen is sort of what this thread is about: improving our communication in general. I know I will be showing albums to some of the other guys here (Sveldt, Benwaa, GBSR, etc.) to make sure things are top notch in quality as they always have been, but I have pretty much an open door policy now. The only reason we should see releases getting pushed back is because there's a line. If it comes down to that then we'll have to figure out a solution.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #50
fidelium
IDMf Artist
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sveldt View Post
I don't think anyone's ever said that IDMf should just release any old shit tbh.

Often in the past though it was implied that some of the submissions were overlooked on "quality control" grounds when really it was more of just a taste/genre clash and that's a shame.

To me it appeared that "the label" were trying to keep things as open as possible just in case rather than clearly defining the goalposts of what they wanted one way or another and i think that's one of the first things that should be clearly defined.

You can't really be the A&R guy at a hiphop label if you don't like hiphop, can you?
Ah didn't see this until just now. Yeah man, you're absolutely right. Hammer on the nail. That said, does IDMf cover all spectrum of electronic music? How should we define ourselves with a clarity that keeps us open and doesn't turn certain artists away out of fear of being rejected just based on their preferred genre?
Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #51
fidelium
IDMf Artist
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsr View Post
mm yes, this post does make me happy aswell.
now stop idling in the chatroom so we can talk a bit, fid
Responded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaa View Post
certainly man - i will give it my upmost attention to get it done asap yet with the quality it deserves, PM me the liks and details man and i'll get to it pronto!
well aren't you SOMETHING! zipping that shit now
Old 01-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #52
Quantum777
Microknight
Quantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant futureQuantum777 has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1982

Quote:
Ah didn't see this until just now. Yeah man, you're absolutely right. Hammer on the nail. That said, does IDMf cover all spectrum of electronic music? How should we define ourselves with a clarity that keeps us open and doesn't turn certain artists away out of fear of being rejected just based on their preferred genre?

I feel IDMF doesn't focus enough on actual IDM music, chilled music seems to be very popular around these parts, as well as simpler forms of music compared to IDM, i think the future should be some more experimental releases, there's a definate market for it
Quantum777 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #53
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum777 View Post
I feel IDMF doesn't focus enough on actual IDM music, chilled music seems to be very popular around these parts, as well as simpler forms of music compared to IDM, i think the future should be some more experimental releases, there's a definate market for it
Go [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and define IDM for us all as you seem to think you have a good idea of what it is.

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #54
fidelium
IDMf Artist
\(_o)/

"simpler" forms.... LOL
Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #55
nostromer
nostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MCnostromer is a savage MC
Salt Lake City
MC Status: 336644

IDM is at times some of the most minimal and simplistic genre's I can think of.

Take a few of autechre's tracks as of recently. Shit is practically one long groan eeked out of a computer with what sounds like plastic strings barely doing anything in the background for 8 minutes.
(not hating here, I loves me some autechre, just saying)

sometimes "intelligent dance music" is far from intelligent, even farther from dance music. sometimes it tries so hard to be intelligent the end result is stupid.

------------------
city at worlds end - technologist [neurok theme]
nostromer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #56
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063969

Quote:
Genre doesn't matter IMO, keep it to quality releases and that should be the primary focus, IMO it could be the best rock group out there trying to submit and be able to get on even if they don't use electronica at all!...I think this forum may have had IDM in mind when it started but has much evolved into so much more!

I think it should come down to complexity (even if minimal), musicality, and quality! I would hate to see a great artist get shut down over a genre tag
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #57
TheMusicCzar
Minor Glitch
TheMusicCzar is a jewel in the roughTheMusicCzar is a jewel in the roughTheMusicCzar is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 258

Quote:
New/old, doesn't matter. As long as it's completed.* This includes mastering and album art, and quality checked for any major mix errors or other various flaws that sometimes get overlooked through this process. Please put your best foot forward here.

I am currently working on making a more coherent netlabel website.

*Also, if it's released under another label, make sure it's all right with them if we release it. I want absolutely no legal complications with other labels.

aight.
ill send you a 420,000,000X (stonedbitrate) KBPS.mp420 soon.
TheMusicCzar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #58
fidelium
IDMf Artist
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewir3d View Post
Genre doesn't matter IMO, keep it to quality releases and that should be the primary focus, IMO it could be the best rock group out there trying to submit and be able to get on even if they don't use electronica at all!...I think this forum may have had IDM in mind when it started but has much evolved into so much more!

I think it should come down to complexity (even if minimal), musicality, and quality! I would hate to see a great artist get shut down over a genre tag
Yes. that's been our failure in the past that I want to get rid of!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #59
NeuralPunk
Old skool lurka
NeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MCNeuralPunk is a savage MC
Ruins of a fallen empire.
MC Status: 231093978

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewir3d View Post

But surely the music should still be electronic. Or are there going to be sub-forums talking about tuning a guitar?????

The fact the site has some vague specialisation means that the range of topics doesn't get out of hand, also you might as well change the name of the forum to "ILMf" or the "I like music forum", the IDM label means that although the forum is growing all the time the people who come here all have common ground to some extent, they have come here to mainly discuss electronic music.

I'm all up for hearing music that is of a high quality but there must be other places on the internet that deal with high end non-electronic music, I'm really just worried that this place will lose focus and then lose what has made it special.

I would hate this place to be like the Pendulum of the forum world, who starting off making some amazing electronic music and then deciding to form a nu-metal band, pumped out the same track a hundred times and alienating most of their original fan base.

But that's just my opinion, take it as you will.

Last edited by NeuralPunk; 02-08-2010 at 10:31 AM..

------------------
NeuralPunk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 AM   #60
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031391
Thanked 7,279 Times in 4,524 Posts

^^
This.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote