A topic for DJs :) - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 15-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #41
Fox
Fox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MCFox is a savage MC
Brussels
MC Status: 24820658
Re: A topic for Dj's :)

2X technics SL1210 + stanton mixer

and digital: 2 XP10's, which I ver rarely use anymore, I really prefer to spin vinyls ^^

Advertisements

------------------
Fox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 07:20 PM   #42
PSvilans
PSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MCPSvilans is a savage MC
MC Status: 47713344

Would it be good for me to get 2 CDJ100's + a Gemini mixer (don't know the exact model) all together for roughly 400-500 euros? It's pretty much a full DJ set right there, but I'm just thinking...burning CD's for my sets too much of a hassle compared to getting a USB connective controller or something?

Then again, I guess I can always eventually upgrade to timecodes...

Oooh the dilemma... :/

------------------
Funkaaay!
GLITCH HOP | DUBSTEP
as Stereoglyph
as PSvils
PSvilans is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #43
erik mitchell
Deep Underground
erik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 300691

iPod shuffle

------------------

Follow me: soundcloud - facebook
erik mitchell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #44
Kamael
apparently im obnoxious
Kamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MC
wai r mai skriinz blannk???
MC Status: 7997099

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSvilans View Post
Would it be good for me to get 2 CDJ100's + a Gemini mixer (don't know the exact model) all together for roughly 400-500 euros? It's pretty much a full DJ set right there, but I'm just thinking...burning CD's for my sets too much of a hassle compared to getting a USB connective controller or something?

Then again, I guess I can always eventually upgrade to timecodes...

Oooh the dilemma... :/
hmmm... indeed a dilemma, but how bout this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Numark Mixdeck - DJ workstation with CD/mp3/USB decks, mixer, computer, MIDI interface. Docking station for iPod, possible to thomann record on to iPod, mixer with EQ/rotary kills, effects unit with beat sync (echo, filter, flanger, pan & phaser). Fader start, looping, sampling, tempo control (6, 12, 25 & 100%), controllable over MIDI software (no time code required via USB), 2x extremely rear lit thomann displays. Includes power supply and USB cable. Compatible with Mac OS X & Windows XP or Vista (32 or 64bit).

a lil more pricey, but gemini, in my experience, makes toys
numark isnt omg wow, but aint that bad either

------------------
Kamael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2011, 10:44 PM   #45
Kamael
apparently im obnoxious
Kamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MCKamael is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay'n Alive View Post
I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

I set some warp markers on my whole DJable music collection (I agree it was pretty long, even if I don't have that much stuff) and I just click and drag the file from the Windows file explorer, iTunes or even the Ableton file explorer when I feel like I want to keep Live full-screen all time, into one of my 4 "deck" audio channel, and it's right there ready to play, beatmatched. The only preparation I need to do for a set is to warp my tracks.

It's as flexible as a pai... As many CDJs as I want!
i hear ya, but ableton sets i did were all... complicated

it was mainly mashups, drum and bass, rock and pop, ranging bpm from 150 to 95
the audience at that time were all into rock and punk, and whatnot, not the type of crowd for electronic music, so i just made a set and press play

your approach is logical, i used the launch interface for that, but eventually switched to traktor and vdj

less hassle

------------------
Old 16-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #46
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamael View Post

it was mainly mashups, drum and bass, rock and pop, ranging bpm from 150 to 95
the audience at that time were all into rock and punk, and whatnot, not the type of crowd for electronic music, so i just made a set and press play
Whoaw, okay, that's why...

I'm gonna keep on using Live, 50% beacause I already got it and other programs cost a lot of monies, and 50% beacause of that geeky pride that pushes me to do what I want with what I have...

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 09:12 AM   #47
Kamael
apparently im obnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay'n Alive View Post
Whoaw, okay, that's why...

I'm gonna keep on using Live, 50% beacause I already got it and other programs cost a lot of monies, and 50% beacause of that geeky pride that pushes me to do what I want with what I have...
live is still pretty powerfull thing, i was mashin up crystal method and eric clapton and the poor souls thought i had superhuman skillz

but i was just a poser muahahah

------------------
Old 17-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #48
staticreact
staticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 267936
Re: A topic for DJs :)

-Laptop w/Traktor Pro
-APC40
-External soundcard

Everything I need

------------------
staticreact is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #49
DisLEXsicK
Granular Poster
DisLEXsicK is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I use Traktor with this set up
2: Denon DN-S3000 Cd turntables
1:Numark dxm06 2 channel mixer
1: pair stanton dj headphones
1: 13.3' macbook pro
DisLEXsicK is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #50
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478454

My first DJ mix ever I mixed Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) (the one that speeds up, first track on one of side of the vinyl), and Crosby, Stills and Nash. I didn't listen to a lot of Pink Floyd, and was mostly unfamiliar with crosby, stills and nash. needless to say, it didn't go well.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #51
novacentric
Regular Freak
novacentric is currently spamming hard
Savannah

The S4 is absolutely excellent hardware. Since its made by Native Instruments, basically got the best integration of hardware and software. You wouldn't go wrong at all getting it. The only 'annoying' thing are the outputs...quarter inch and RCA. Not that big of a deal at all though with a simple 1/4th to XLR cable. It's well built, simple layout to get used to. You wouldn't go wrong getting one. Personally, i prefer the S4 first, second the Denon MC6000, and third, the Pioneer Traktor controller.
novacentric is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #52
Roland_Abuser
Radial Developer
Roland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to beholdRoland_Abuser is a splendid one to behold
Good `Ol Yorkshire
MC Status: 760

2x Vestax PDX-2000 record decks

Allen&Heath Xone 42 mixer

Computer with Traktor Scratch Pro & 2 timecode vinyl for digital mixing

All going through a NI TA6 External soundcard makes it nice and simple to go between vinyl & timecode.
Roland_Abuser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #53
Dhinojosa94
Sample Destroyer
Dhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really niceDhinojosa94 is just really nice
San Pedro Garza Garcia
MC Status: 410

My baby

Dhinojosa94 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #54
FreeWIll
Learning The Ropes
FreeWIll is currently spamming hard

4 decks all the way.
FreeWIll is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #55
RemixBrothers
Learning The Ropes
RemixBrothers is currently spamming hard
Ontario

My first (and only...so far) gig was at a High School dance, since I'm still in high school.

I ended up realizing I had an old Ion Discover DJ set worth $100; just a mini-mixer bundle.

I used my shitty Acer Aspire laptop, with Virtual DJ Pro, including my Ion Discover DJ. I was super stoked to learn that VDJ had a preset for this mixer, so the hard work was finished.

Although the equipment wasn't up to par with some of the modern Numark / Pioneer equipment, it did the job. Everyone loved it, and I had my mixing moments that were great...other moments that weren't so great.

All in all, $100 for a great time came easily for me, so I don't think it's necessary to spend over $5000 to put on a good show. THAT BEING SAID, if you're a profession (that means getting paid) and you have an intense crowd, the bigger mixers are a priority because it gives you more freedom. I was only stuck with blending each song, and occaisonally looping one song whilst playing another, with some effects here-and-there. Really tough to do on a shitty mixer, but really fun at the same time.

There are my two cents.
RemixBrothers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #56
nbahaelou
Minor Glitch
nbahaelou is currently spamming hard

Been using a traktor s4 with my macbook pro for the last couple of months, then again, I've only done one "live" gig in front of a crowd. I've been thinking of adding my MIDI keyboard (M-Audio Oxygen 25) to route certain effects onto the keys and was wondering if anyone has tried this here? If so, how much more "creative" have your mixes become and is it worth all the trouble routing the damn thing?
nbahaelou is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #57
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhinojosa94 View Post

How do you feel about it?

I've got one and now Serato have ditched Itch and gone for that new fangled Serato DJ, which won't be usable with the NS6 until sometime into next year (Serato are very well known for not coming through on promises too), I'm considering ditching it and spending the money on something else (like Push with Ableton 9).

------------------
USE THE FUCKING SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #58
Dirty Job
Soundwave Mangler
Dirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MCDirty Job is a savage MC
MC Status: 541065

Traktor + Numark Mixtrack. Also, I have an Akai MPC18 that I use for production and want to start using with Traktor when I have some time.

------------------
Dirty Job is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #59
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt
ajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton
MC Status: 9110

Just getting into this stuff, so i'm buying this entry level controller, the stanton djc 4.

http://www.stantondj.com/pics/produc...jc4-top-lg.jpg

anybody have any opinions on this one?
ajdangles is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #60
Booshay
Learning The Ropes
Booshay is currently spamming hard

Got new DDJ-SX working with Traktor

Was never a Serato fan, and the mapping for traktor works well

Advertisements