Using live FX whilst recording a mix
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 30-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
Entox
Deep Underground
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol
MC Status: 2184
Using live FX whilst recording a mix

Hi all.

Me and a friend have started making some mixes together using 1 vinyl turntable and 1 cd deck that are then routed into my computer via rca cables.

We can record a mix fine but also want to have the option of being able to play live fx etc through my DAW (Reason) whilst we are recording the mix in another program (audacity) using the external turntable and cd deck.

How would we go about doing this?

Currently i am routing the rca in's from the back of my soundcard to the outs on the small mixer i have controlling the two external decks, then the out's from my pc soundcard are going through my main mixer that my speakers (monitors) are connected to.

I get sound from both decks using this method but no playback from pc as obviously my input is coming from the decks small mixer.

Any idea how i would get both sound in and out of the pc and decks at the same time whilst still allowing me to record the live mix?

All too much for my small brain...

Advertisements

------------------
Entox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #2
Vault O)))
Still Retarded™
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 41710
Re: Using live FX whilst recording a mix

It looks like you use / used to use Live. What went wrong there? The process would be much simpler.

I can't answer your question otherwise (reason?), but 2 DAW's that don't rewire sounds like a shit time.

------------------
Placeholder for Unregistered's next dick pic
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
Entox
Deep Underground
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol
MC Status: 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
It looks like you use / used to use Live. What went wrong there? The process would be much simpler.

I can't answer your question otherwise (reason?), but 2 DAW's that don't rewire sounds like a shit time.
I do have live also.

I just use audacity as it's so easy to use.

Could i rewire to ableton then and get this how i would like?

------------------
Entox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:57 AM   #4
Ruuksine
Regular Freak
Ruuksine has a spectacular aura aboutRuuksine has a spectacular aura aboutRuuksine has a spectacular aura about
Melbourne
MC Status: 210

Trying to wrap my head around your current setup, and visualizing how it already is..

How I would go about it is by running the vinyl turntable and CD deck into the mixer, then the mixer into your audio interface or sound card.
This then goes into Reason through the FX you want to use live.
Audacity can be set to record sound output from your audio interface, and the headphone outs or audio outs from your interface could then be run to your speakers.

So you now have a setup where you can hear the audio coming out of the speakers with the FX from Reason
And Audacity is also recording the output with FX too.
Ruuksine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Ruuksine
Vault O))) (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:21 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Still Retarded™
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 41710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entox View Post
I do have live also.

I just use audacity as it's so easy to use.

Could i rewire to ableton then and get this how i would like?
Not if you were starting out recording with Audacity or Reason, but I'm wondering why you wouldn't just do the recording itself with Live (I'm sure there are some advantages to audacity that I would have no idea about, so maybe that's got something to do with it).

Disregard my comments, either way. I don't really know what I'm talking about

Advertisements

------------------
Placeholder for Unregistered's next dick pic
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote