[Floridian Black Metal / Depressive Post Rock] Agent Slimepunk - Symbiotry of Beings
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 26-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #1
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41960
[Floridian Black Metal / Depressive Post Rock] Agent Slimepunk - Symbiotry of Beings

I tried to make a song with some actual substance for a change, based on all of the great critique I've received on here over the years. Most of my shit is campy, In Flames worship but I think I've finally been pushed into trying to do something interesting for a change.

Brutal honesty requested - please and thank you. I can't grow if it doesn't hurt a little

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

(for some reason the embed sounds limited or something? soundclown is stupid)

Advertisements

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Floridian Black Metal / Depressive Post Rock] Agent Slimepunk - Symbiotry of Beings.
Old 26-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts
Re: [Floridian Black Metal / Depressive Post Rock] Agent Slimepunk - Symbiotry of Bei

There are bands, like, real bands with 4-5 people at least that still manage to suck musically and production wise, even after hiring some engineers to finalize their lame effort. And then there's you with much lower budget that put these guys in a trash bin where they belong because you manage to achieve much more than 5 different minds + extra. That's my honest opinion, as requested.

Anyways, some feedback on track and I'll try to avoid repeating same positive things I said before.

Track feels super tight mix wise which is good but for black is kind of hit or miss. It's clearly yours artistic decision but I would personaly want a bit more grittiness as it lacks of character. I also think riff ideas can be expanded even more. Take an example how In Flames (before they started suck) or most melodeath goes. I've just listened to Artifacts of the Black Rain which is my favourite IF track ever. It's basically: riff1>riff2 with melodic lead> riff2>riff2 + melodic lead variation>breakdown>riff2 with solo>riff1. The thing with melodeath that it's catchy because it's melodic (duh). So it's basically has this one track defining riff and loads of variations on top. Now, this track feels like a blend of melodeath, metalcore and black, but black being in question. I feel some transitions are way too sudden, like that part around 1:02 when there's no fill at all and drums suddenly transforms to a blastbeat. I would probably re-arrange some parts too. Like, which riffs follow other. Around 1:20-1:30 that tremolo'd guitar (or rhythm) just kind of ducks entire mix (don't think it's soundcloud's fault), it becomes a solid noise wall. It heavily contrasts with the rest, and especially the drums. Kind of asks to be balanced a bit better imo while 1:50 part and onward sounds really nice. In general, the mix is fine, composition could be improved. You can send me stems for teh lulz. This might also give some ideas, if they're necessary.

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:14 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541930
Thanked 7,020 Times in 4,987 Posts
Re: [Floridian Black Metal / Depressive Post Rock] Agent Slimepunk - Symbiotry of Bei

This doesn't seem so metal ish to me in the tone/timbre. For me the rigidity of the snare (or something else about the beat) is really holding this back. Like around a 1:10 it sounds pretty robotic. I'm not sure I could program better drums. That is really the big thing for me right now. All the rest is sound pretty dope!

I like the guitar work a lot. This reminds me of a lot of stuff I used to listen to between 2001-2005 when I was an undergrad. A lot of stuff like Thursday and Sparta. Coheed and Cambria.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 AM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Definitely the most interesting metal I've heard from you (I really like your ambient/soundscape stuff). I like that it's not really genre specific. It feels like you've carved out a space for yourself, and it doesn't necessarily follow other people's rules.

If there was one thing I'd add, it'd be texture. I like what's going on, but it feels a bit like you're jamming over one thing for a few minutes. It needs dynamics and some dirt. The tremeloed guitars early on are a start, but they're really one dimensional. Given the quality of your electronic and ambient work, I'd suggest bringing some of those elements into it, even if they're pushed way to the background. Something to set it apart and add depth to the track.

I also think the drums are mixed entirely too far forward and dry, and it distracts from the rest of the track. They sound really sterile and monotone. Might be personal preference for you. My personal preference isn't to have clicky bass drums all in my shit while I'm trying to listen to cool guitars.

Quote:
(for some reason the embed sounds limited or something? soundclown is stupid)
Soundcloud converts everything to 128k mp3. It's going to gut your high end. If you uploaded an mp3 at greater than 128k, it's really going to sound like shit as it's getting re-encoded. The best thing you can do is upload a 128k mp3 you mastered yourself.

Advertisements

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote