Black Friday Post-Mortem 2017
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 25-11-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184610
Thanked 3,692 Times in 2,752 Posts
Black Friday Post-Mortem 2017

As this year's "Black Friday" becomes a thing of the past all around the world, are you one of those who "succumbed" and splashed out on a "bargain of the year"..or a deal "too good" to pass up? If so, this is the place to let us know what you got and why you got it.

Personally, there were a lot of offerings out there this year that I really liked the look of and wanted to get..but, tbh, I didn't really "need" any of them. That said, I did grab a couple of things I think were well worth it.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
via the audiodeluxe.com site : Got it for only $25 (50% off) and well worth it, too.

Also snagged 4 different tools from Soundspot for only $1 each ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

That was it for me..didn't go over board or splash out on any "big names" or upgrades this year, as what I currently have does me well enough..but the ones I did get were worth grabbing, as I'll use them all anyway.

Last edited by A.M; 25-11-2017 at 05:53 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20060
Re: Black Friday Post-Mortem 2017

nothing on the vst front or music front in genral more early christmas shopping, for example mother wanted a new tv so i grabbed her an lg oled with dolby atmos.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
A.M (25-11-2017)
Old 25-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269465508
Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,879 Posts

I finally got a computer monitor, nice to see more than2 tracks when working on Live.
I also got some AU plugins on the ipad, Pumphouse, Grind and Eos2.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 155110
Thanked 3,102 Times in 1,862 Posts

I don't black.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26460

Massive for 50% off.
Reason 10 upgrade
And a tablet for my wife's christmas.
I guess that makes the other 2 ok?

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541730
Thanked 7,016 Times in 4,984 Posts

Not a thing. Though I have decided to get the discounted U-he Repro, but I’ve got some time to cash in on that deal. Does that count? We need a new carpet scrubber (essential cat owner appliance IMO), shoulda went out and had a look around for one on sale, but its hardly worth the mad house.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (25-11-2017)
Old 25-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Not a thing. Though I have decided to get the discounted U-he Repro, but I’ve got some time to cash in on that deal. Does that count? We need a new carpet scrubber (essential cat owner appliance IMO), shoulda went out and had a look around for one on sale, but its hardly worth the mad house.
Yeah..it counts for this..was announced around the start of all this madness, so it's included I guess.

I wasn't really going to get anything myself, until I saw the offer on the TDR Limiter 6and went for it, as it's got a lot of good reviews and TDR stuff is always solid. The Soundspot ones were more of a "what the hell" kind of buy..four of them for just $4 and I know they'll get used..maybe not all the time..but still handy to have in the old box of musical tricks.

------------------
Old 25-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541730
Thanked 7,016 Times in 4,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah..it counts for this..was announced around the start of all this madness, so it's included I guess.

I wasn't really going to get anything myself, until I saw the offer on the TDR Limiter 6and went for it, as it's got a lot of good reviews and TDR stuff is always solid. The Soundspot ones were more of a "what the hell" kind of buy..four of them for just $4 and I know they'll get used..maybe not all the time..but still handy to have in the old box of musical tricks.
I totally get the uber cheap, 90% off type deals. I actually went a bit overboard last year when plug-in alliance had their 12 days of Christmas. It was a new set of VSTs everyday all stupidly cheap and all more than I would typically spend...I got a bunch of Brainworx, most of the SPL Ranger series, and Unfiltered Audio Sandman (pretty cool delay).

There’s always deals throughout December on software. Have to see what crops up on this coming Monday as well : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (25-11-2017)
Old 25-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #9
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I totally get the uber cheap, 90% off type deals. I actually went a bit overboard last year when plug-in alliance had their 12 days of Christmas. It was a new set of VSTs everyday all stupidly cheap and all more than I would typically spend...I got a bunch of Brainworx, most of the SPL Ranger series, and Unfiltered Audio Sandman (pretty cool delay).

There’s always deals throughout December on software. Have to see what crops up on this coming Monday as well : )

Thanks for reminding me about the plug-in alliance 12 days of Christmas thing..must remember to keep an eye out for it this year.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
relic (25-11-2017)
Old 25-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #10
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20060

oh yea not really music stuff again but relaited i got 2 4tb barracuda hard drives because they were 75 quid each and you can never have enough internal raid storage
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
A.M (25-11-2017)
Old 25-11-2017, 07:42 PM   #11
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

I bought lunch for the wife. We went out to gawk at the lines and walk around as it was a nice day. I did pick up some welding gas and a spare dog crate at Tractor Supply, but I don't know if they were on sale.

Most of the Black Friday deals are: 1) absolute trash that somebody's trying to get rid of, 2) a deal you can get some other time of the year. Same for Cyber Monday. The ratio of time spent deal hunting to money saved just isn't worth it to me.

I honestly didn't look at music/VST stuff because I'm pretty well set (read: overloaded) right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
I don't black.
That's cool. I don't Friday.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (25-11-2017)
Old 25-11-2017, 07:53 PM   #12
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

"i don't think i need this"

"but it's like $9.99, it was $49.99 before"

"holy shit, i'm taking 5 of them!"

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #13
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
"i don't think i need this"

"but it's like $9.99, it was $49.99 before"

"holy shit, i'm taking 5 of them!"

I'm usually the guy who does the exact opposite and I'm a bugger to go shopping with..the wife is always telling me."..but it's reduced, we should get a couple of them!" This year, though, I meant to get the TDR limiter, so when I saw it going to half price, I just grabbed it.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
ms_ (25-11-2017)
Old 25-11-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 117360
Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,372 Posts

Quote:
I'm usually the guy who does the exact opposite and I'm a bugger to go shopping with..the wife is always telling me."..but it's reduced, we should get a couple of them!" This year, though, I meant to get the TDR limiter, so when I saw it going to half price, I just grabbed it.
so you're saying you didn't buy 5 TDR limiters? Whoa, you really know your limits!

*drops mic*

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #15
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
so you're saying you didn't buy 5 TDR limiters? Whoa, you really know your limits!

*drops mic*
*picks up mic* It's Limiter 6..no need to buy 5. *throws mic over left shoulder and saunters off*

------------------
Old 26-11-2017, 04:19 AM   #16
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52460
Thanked 1,049 Times in 774 Posts

SoundToys 5 upgrade

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
A.M (26-11-2017)
Old 26-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31360

I splurged a lot.

Presonus Studio One and Notion. I need to get the fuck away from Ableton. My compositions do not benefit from a nonlinear interface. In fact, it encourages bad habits in my particular case.

Upgrade to Komplete 11 Ultimate, which is bugged out (still waiting on a day old support ticket).

Big upgrade to my sound and CAD/3D rig. 1900x Threadripper with a new motherboard and case.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to g0lem
A.M (26-11-2017)
Old 26-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #18
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lem View Post
I splurged a lot.

Presonus Studio One and Notion. I need to get the fuck away from Ableton. My compositions do not benefit from a nonlinear interface. In fact, it encourages bad habits in my particular case.

Upgrade to Komplete 11 Ultimate, which is bugged out (still waiting on a day old support ticket).

Big upgrade to my sound and CAD/3D rig. 1900x Threadripper with a new motherboard and case.

Wow..can we expect good things from you next year? With that lot I'd think we can.

------------------
Old 26-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #19
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31360

Quote:
Wow..can we expect good things from you next year? With that lot I'd think we can.
I hope so. It's been crazy trying to balance running a design firm while also trying to keep a consistent daily block of time to make sounds.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to g0lem
A.M (26-11-2017)
Old 26-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #20
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536527
Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,255 Posts

NI KOMPLETE upgrade, 99 bucks. I upgrade every other year and this one was the one. I've not installed it yet as I am traveling and need to clean up my HD before the O.o 120GB download....

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote