[Electronic, Polystylism] Valk - Alone In The Rain
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 16-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Valk
Radial Developer
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 3110
Icon5 [Electronic, Polystylism] Valk - Alone In The Rain

Don't roast me at low temperatures for my sake, go full auto.
I've learnt so much from this forum;

I hope some of you enjoy this track.

Advertisements

------------------
check out my Nest in progress
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Electronic, Polystylism] Valk - Alone In The Rain.
Old 16-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
SaneTBP
Minor Glitch
SaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to allSaneTBP is a name known to all
Espoo
MC Status: 560
Re: [Electronic, Polystylism] Valk - Alone In The Rain

I really like the songwriting on the track, but the production/mix feels super weird to me and it's kind of off-putting. Like a lot of the drums stand out of the mix and kinda get in your face. The breakbeats are really cool and there's some nice variety of textures on it. Keep doing what you do but maybe try to get better at mixing? (it's something that I'm working on, too, atm )

------------------
SaneTBP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
Valk
Radial Developer
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I mixed my drums hard in this track because usually I leave them too soft and the song falls flat, I prefer 'off-putting' to 'lacklustre'

Hmm, you're 100% correct about the mixing though, now that I'm looking for it.
I was not very focused when I mixed it, I'll work towards mixing my next song better

Thank you

------------------
Old 17-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
Djates
IDMf's latest spammer
Djates is currently spamming hard
Berlin
MC Status: 10

I miss the Bass. But the style is realy cool. Could it be that your speakers are not able to give much bass?
Djates is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #5
Valk
Radial Developer

I made this on a 2 channel 40w sound system wired with an extra huge PA speaker in tri-mode so there's phasing issues sometimes.

Thank you very much for the compliment

I also worked on the song on some Sennheiser Urbanites and they usually give a pretty good depiction of how the sound is.
I do have a problem with my ears, I mix bass really loud and cut down on 1k-10khz because it hurts my ears.

Do you mean the bass is too loud or too soft?

------------------
Old 17-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
Djates
IDMf's latest spammer
Djates is currently spamming hard
Berlin

The bass is much too soft. On my speakers it semmed like you have cutoffed everything under almost 500Hz
Djates is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
Valk
Radial Developer

I might have put excessive gain on the mids which could make the bass seem softer than it should,
interesting, I'll look into that but I didn't do any cut like that.

Next track i'll add more bass

------------------
Old 17-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #8
winslow
IDMf's latest spammer
winslow is currently spamming hard

work on bring up the volume of the other instrumentation. i like some of the (time-stretched?) stuff that's going on, but it needs to be brought up in comparison to the drums. also, add more melodic elements during the parts with the wonky sounding drums as well. bank on the melodic areas, then where the atonality starts to sit in when you bring in the other instruments, focus on that alone. i think it will help with your song progression.

i feel like on the more acid-like parts where tonality starts to break down (mainly where the louder drums come in), you should turn the melodic elements down and work on other instruments and textures. also, when the louder drums come in, they are a bit on the loud side. using a limiter on your drum bus might assist with that, also saturation/distortion helps make things appear louder without actually having to turn up the volume so much. even subtle saturation can improve your drum volume problems and overall crest factor issues (judging by the looks of the soundcloud waveform). improving your crest factor will also help you attain a louder master.

if you're having other problems with keeping your drums and breaks loud enough without the other instruments crowding them out, gentle sidechain works a charm. find whichever instruments are clashing with your kick/snare/hihats/breaks, and if appropriate EQ or volume adjustments don't solve the problem, try a gentle sidechain on that intruding element. once again, it will help with crest factor and make your mix more dense, letting you play with things like reverb and stereo width a bit more as well.

overall:

limit drum bus and apply appropriate saturation to individual drum elements. sidechain (try ~3dB, play with attack/release to aid transparency) if proper EQ doesn't do the trick.
bank on melodic areas, then shift to atonality and bank on that. work on song progression.
add more instruments and textures, but work on getting the mix where you want first before adding new instruments as adding yet another variable to an unknown situation tends to only make things worse.
winslow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
Valk
Radial Developer

Your tips are sublime, thank you so much for taking the time to share.

I'm going to try make the time to take your advice and those above to make a second version of this, a better version.

I have a strange anti-society thing in my mind that makes me make worse music than I would have, in the name of not following the route that's well travelled.
But there's no point in that so I'm trying my best to let go of that feeling.

IdmForums 4 lyf

------------------
Old 21-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
Lorenzo
Regular Freak
Lorenzo will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

It's weird but good, I love this kind of experiments. Some otherworld sounds and interesting dinamicity. Bass is good, but mixed bad. This track has a lot going on: background voices that I don't understand, breakbeats where you don't expect... and it's not a problem. I'll want to hear something else like this.
Lorenzo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #11
Valk
Radial Developer

, thank you very much for your input <3

I was doubting the improved version of the track but it's just so much better, i'll share it in the next few days <3

------------------
Old 15-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #12
Valk
Radial Developer
Icon4 Re: [Electronic, Polystylism] Valk - Alone In The Rain

It's better but it's not quite there yet.

I found an audio effect rack on the main buss that was cutting everything below 100hz to a degree, absolutely disgusting

It's got bass now so it sounds better but now the Kick, Snare and one Main synth are significantly louder than everything else, I'm still gonna juggle the sounds some more and maybe replace the traditional Asian backtrack thing because it just doesn't make sense to anyone i've played it to so far

I just like the sound of her voice with the random string instrument, I should add something with meaning though, i just need to figure out what that should be

I can't for the life of me figure out how to embed the 'private' song on here
This is the only place i'm posting it till it's done fully

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Thank you all for your time, support and pro tips.

------------------
Old 15-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #13
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 20110

Nice rhythms on this song

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
SilverBeat
IDMf's latest spammer
SilverBeat is currently spamming hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
Nice rhythms on this song
This seems to be going a lot now days. Have to be in the mood only
SilverBeat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 04:40 AM   #15
SamWeath
Minor Glitch
SamWeath is currently spamming hard

I really love the productions itself, but the mix sounds kinda rought to me. Also there is no enough warmth, I really miss some cheeky low end. Not too much, just to feel the presence.

Advertisements

SamWeath is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote