Which macbook pro should i buy?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #1
paokz
Granular Poster
paokz will become famous soon enoughpaokz will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Which macbook pro should i buy?

Hello guys recently i sold my old i5 desktop pc that i had it with audient audio card and im thinking of buying mac but im on those three choises

Macbbok pro late 2013 13" i5
Macbbok pro late 2013 13" i7 dual core
Macbbok pro late 2013 15" i7 quad core

We are in 2017 so i dont know how much the things changed
I will use apogee element or presonus quantum 2 with thunderbolt
I want on pro tools just 9-10 tracks with effects and a master bus compiled by slate plugins
I want to record my vocals with these tracks with maybe a nice reverb without stucking or cpu spikes
and my budget is more close to the first 2 choises but should i go with the i7 quad core?

Advertisements

paokz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010
Re: Which macbook pro should i buy?

none the new macbooks are shit youll end up haveing to spend jusat as much on add ons so you can use a set of fuckin g headphones utter utter waste of cash, (if you dont know apple decided to put only one usb port on the hole system)and i counter your sugestion and give you one of thease.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
A.M (14-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #3
paokz
Granular Poster
paokz will become famous soon enoughpaokz will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

But late 2013 are not the latest
paokz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to paokz
Jaded (14-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

I'd get whichever one is cheapest and comes with the most ram.

Be aware that whatever you're paying, you're buying into outdated and end-of-life tech.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
TheStumps (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 PM   #5
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7310

Any of them...I'm running on a 2004 imac still because...well...it still works.
And I'm running Ableton live 9 so...yep...whatever. :p

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26360

I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro, and it's getting a little outdated tbh.
But I would recommend the 15" I find the 13 inch a little annoying tbh.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 01:44 AM   #7
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

OP go quad core over anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
none the new macbooks are shit youll end up haveing to spend jusat as much on add ons so you can use a set of fuckin g headphones utter utter waste of cash, (if you dont know apple decided to put only one usb port on the hole system)and i counter your sugestion and give you one of thease.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Eh? I thought the new Macbooks had zero USB ports in favour of USB-C.

Totally awesome move by the way, just another example of Apple rolling out significant design enhancements years before the rest (headphone jacks on smartphones in 2017! The fuck? )

USB-C totally owns it.

Gotta say, love bringing my Dell Precision into the office and plugging into my dock and all my monitors, networking, peripherals and power are connected. I don't even carry a power supply anymore...

And in the three months I've had it, I think I've plugged something into the onboard USB ports a grand total of once... Pretty much the only port that gets used is the USB-C... the rest are obsolete.

So yeah, I guess carrying a bunch of cables and devices around with you everywhere you go is awesome, if that's what you're into... Personally, I am a fan of just bringing my lappy. Can't put a price tag on that in my opinion.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 02:18 AM   #8
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Eh? I thought the new Macbooks had zero USB ports in favour of USB-C.
Yep, they do.

One thing, however, that I wish was still an option out there for Apples is the 8th inch "optical" (they're using the term loosely here) input jack.
It's a strange idea, but good grief, I can't convey how many times that little thing has come in handy.
It's incredibly easy to jack into from just about any analogue device on my older iMac, and I love not having to think about adapters or conversions beyond a quarter inch to 8th adapter, or sometimes composite L/R to 8th, but that's still WAY easier than a media hub or adapter.

I used to watch my friend spend the better part of an hour trouble-shooting his adapter for his machine, just trying to plug in instruments.
Meanwhile, I sat over there with my older iMac, drank some coffee, fiddled around, and then when he was ready all I did was just plug into my jack and hit record.

As a musician and digital composer, I was sad to see that idea leave their build.

EDIT: lol! They still have it on the Mac Mini!
*shakes head* One of those instances where when you lower your bar, you get more options on the peripheral than the larger and more powerful options.

Last edited by TheStumps; 14-11-2017 at 02:29 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote