Sending too loud audio to FX
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 31-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620
Sending too loud audio to FX

Hi guys,

Is there an optimal audio level for audio signal to be sent to (for example) a FabFilter Pro-C compressor? I tried to scroll through the manual, but couldn't find any information about this.

Here's what I'm worried about: Am I mixing too hot? Are my mixing levels out of the optimal working range of my plugins, so that I end up with unwanted stuff on my mix?

Advertisements

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 14310
Re: Sending too loud audio to FX

If it‘s not clipping it should be alright, no?
In Live every device has a tiny peak meter, so it‘s easy to avoid clipping even with huge fx chains.

I try to have individual channels peak at -10db and Master at -6.

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

what you are really asking about is 'gain staging' and it's a good term to read up on.

in general, for plug-ins, what @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
said is correct. as long as they are not clipping, you're good. however, there are some plug ins that try to emulate the behavior of some analog devices and are coded to change the way they respond based on the level of the incoming signal. the best way to find that out is to RTFM, though of course not all developers actually mention this.

for FabFilter specifically, here's what Floris from FF said on their forum:

Quote:
For most types of processing in the digital domain, there's no sweet spot, because most plug-ins (like Pro-Q 2, etc.) do not clip internally.
However, plug-ins in which use saturation or distortion (like Saturn obviously, but also Volcano 2 or Timeless 2), it does matter how hard you drive the input of the plug-in. In that case, -18 dBFS is a good starting point, but not a fixed rule. Best advice: just use your ears! :-)

Last edited by iDoG; 31-10-2017 at 03:02 PM..
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoG View Post
what you are really asking about is 'gain staging' and it's a good term to read up on.

in general, for plug-ins, what @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
said is correct. as long as they are not clipping, you're good. however, there are some plug ins that try to emulate the behavior of some analog devices and are coded to change the way they respond based on the level of the incoming signal. the best way to find that out is to RTFM, though of course not all developers actually mention this.

for FabFilter specifically, here's what Floris from FF said on their forum:
Yeah, this is basically what I was wondering about. As I recall, Waves has this sort of stuff going on on their compressors, but I couldn't (after a rather quick skim) find anything about it on the manual.

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108100
Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,389 Posts

Try it out!

Feed a really hot signal into your modeled compressor - listen to what it sounds like.
Feed a quiet signal into your modeled compressor and turn up the post gain to match end result, see what it sounds like.

Going to get you the furthest.

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

Forget clipping - many plugins will even work well above 0db and any clipping will be handled by the DAW at the end of the chain. Most from the remaining bunch will work just fine up to 0db and clip there.

The exceptions are, as said before, analog modeling and distortion plugins. These generally do some form of waveshaping, where the absolute value of the wave is relevant. Also anything with an envelope follower.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
relic (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26360

I don't know about pro c but I have several plugins from native instruments that have in and out meters on the plugins interface. That is super handy imo.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
Lichtgestalth
Regular Freak
Lichtgestalth will become famous soon enough
Shanghai
MC Status: 60

In the digital world levels are not so important anymore.

If unsure how hot the signal should be I always go from too loud to what I think is good. And then from silent to what I think is good. If I end up at 2 different levels I'd go with a value in between.

Compressor bus channels can be fed with fairly hot signals, reverbs not so much.

Advertisements

Lichtgestalth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote