IDMf netlabel: what are the plans? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 18-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #21
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269464958
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,874 Posts
Re: IDMf netlabel: what are the plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
Is it worth you guys discussing measures to ensure there is still an active community or how you could maybe stimulate growth? Im not saying you don't talk about this or you're not trying so be kind to me
We're talking about these things, but we don't have a plan yet. Getting the netlabel up and running again is the first priority, ideally we would grow the community around it.

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #22
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183960
Thanked 3,679 Times in 2,741 Posts

Quote:
I thought you were a mod?
Nope..I just help out over in the LB..not a Mod, though your not the first one to think that.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #23
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
While I don’t 100% disagree philosophically, I think the netlabel owes the community something in return for their best work (assuming that is what we get, of course). There has to be a reason to submit to the netlabel—if all we are going to do is slap the music up a few places like SC and contact three blogs, then why submit to us at all? You might as well self-release at that point.
I think this is really on point, and worth stressing. It's a quid pro quo situation - the only way it works is if everyone benefits, and I think that's exactly what the people organizing are pushing towards.

So if Relic puts out something that generates some buzz, everyone else on the label benefits from that as listeners dig down into other offerings. And thus it makes sense for the people running the label to gatekeep the quality and tone of releases, so that if one release does well, the rest of the catalog is saleable/interesting. And Relic continues to benefit because he knows there's people behind him that are willing to promote his stuff and a roster of like-minded musicians who's cachet boosts his profile and his theirs. It's win-win(-win), and by definition pretty much has to be, or people won't continue to be involved.

Extra services are exactly where the netlabel can shine. It's stupid easy to put music out these days, so the benefit of the label is that there's aspects of the process (mastering, promotion, placement, etc) that the label's better at or that artists don't want to do. From everything I've read, that's exactly what's being proposed, and it makes a lot of sense.

------------------
"It doesn't dry out your skin like soap doesn't."

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #24
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
your not the first one to think that.
that's cause you got the shwagger

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
A.M (18-10-2017)
Old 18-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #25
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
that's cause you got the shwagger
Nah..just doing a little bit on here to help out in some way, Ed..which is basically sod all compared to what the actual Mods and Admin team do to keep this place running. I sit on my ass all day with time to kill..most of these guys haves jobs and other stuff to do with their time, but somehow manage to keep the ball rolling on here.

Not only that, but there are other members on here who do a shit ton to keep things moving around here..Oatbag and MFXxx spring to mind..and then there's those who do their bit answering questions and posting tut vids..all of which helps make IDMf the great place it is.

So, yeah..seriously..all joshing aside..thanks..I'll take that as a compliment, but there are many others on here who do a lot more and don't get thanked enough for it..not that any of them are looking for thanks, but that's another thing that makes em all so great and cool in my book.

I know you know all this yourself already..but it's worth mentioning for any noobs reading..just so they know.

------------------
Old 18-10-2017, 11:33 PM   #26
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Cheers for the kind words AM. Its all pure unadulterated aged enthusiasm
But god do I miss my Maschine hardware and software since selling it!

I agree with a ton of whats said, and it's common sense with regards to a two way streak. Personally got no issues. There's a lot of talent I hear posting in the LB and other threads. I believe some people either find it easy and don't realise what they are achieving, or lack focus, direction and confidence in what they are doing.

Then there's the other level, a higher plain where people post and are signed or have releases etc. Im just going to drop Jazzyspoon here as his musics been my anchor to the forums as well as a lot of other people.

Without really knowing whats going on behind the scenes, the mechanics etc it's hard to visualize where everything is heading. The last 2 years Ive not seen a lot, but then I tend to keep low profile in several regular community threads Beat Battle's people and drop in the listening booth from time to time. Particularly when I see a genre I like.

My thoughts as I type this and there may already be answers on the boards or threads, what is the labels mission statement. If there's a business, there's a plan, a perspective end game and goal. I am not at all clear on what this is.

I get regular emails of releases from a few labels I subscribed to and some I inadvertently subscribed to and cant be arsed to cancel. So at the moment, I guess my questions are
What is IDM marketing?
Whats the brand?
Where's the profile?
What's the business model from a label, artists and consumers perspective?

The market is totally saturated, so finding a niche with longevity is difficult.

But there's potential out there. DI FM have recently been sending out mailshots for funds to maintain it's existence ( if I recall offering donors shares or the like not sure without double checking the email). So far (or last week) the tally was at $300,000 so they reported. If that's true then there's scope for people who do care and want to pay for this Im going to drop a link...great where does it lead???
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Just looking at IDMf006 as a random pick. Took a little digging to get to [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Personally this link [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
should be splattered straight across the top of the forum page IDM to the left with [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
next to it.

I bet most of the people who wander in here (the forums) haven't even paid homage to it.

Im just rambling here folks with no agenda. Lets just say a brainstorm.

Long live this frigging forum cause hell, without it, I wouldnt actually be pushing myself to finish tracks, increase the quality and raise my game! Im not there yet, but hell Im really enjoying the results. Still, need to clean up my SC, its way too scatty

Peace

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #27
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031291
Thanked 7,277 Times in 4,523 Posts

We're probably down to a number where the hardcore few left here should just form the council of IDMf and remake this place however they see fit.
Don't take that as a jibe, I'm semi-serious.

For what it's worth MFxx, you have some good ideas that I agree with and have seen mentioned here (sometimes myself) before.

Indeed, the front page, sidebar, and topbar(?)/dropdown, perhaps even the colour scheme and fonts, all need looking at and refreshing.
I believe Jaded was working through that until our disagreement brought that to a swift halt.
You're right that we could do with much easier to find links that take people to the musical output and other related IDMf pages and social crap.
I've been saying for years that we need some kind of scrolling banner on the front page that we can update with that kind of info aswell as any other announcements.

Web skills is an area that we need more help with tbh.
We don't have anywhere near enough resources to get that stuff done any time soon, unfortunately.
It's easily a weekends work, if not more.
If we have any trusted long term members who want to help us in that area, then you really can't get in touch soon enough.
What we need is someone who finds this stuff fun and simple.
Ideally with previous vbulletin experience.

With that said, we really need to update the platform this place is running on and go mobile too.
I was hoping that the most recent IDMf downtime, whereby our subscription expired, may have lead to that.
Unfortunately, it didn't.
I can't give you any info on why Stu (the owner) has decided to renew but not upgrade the site for several years.
I guess he just doesn't see the point if he makes no return.
I guess it's a nice gesture that he renews at all tbh, because this place could easily go offline one day and never return.

Business model.
Well, I don't think this is a business tbh.
It certainly isn't to me anyway.
It's a platform for aspiring musicians to get a helping hand with production skills and maybe their first leg-up into releasing music.
Again, we're really bound by who hangs out here and the music they present.
We're just some dudes who came here before some other dudes.
IDMf is you/us.

We have recently decided that the idea of the guys who run the site and the guys running the label side of things should no longer be mutually exclusive.
Until now it's been a ladder climbing excercise.
To get any chance of directly influencing the musical output of the label you have to have done a stint of spam deleting.
The number of mods we've had come and go should give you some indication of how much fun that is.

It's great to get some positive and constructive feedback and discussion going.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #28
Dr. Sleaze
Microknight
Dr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond reputeDr. Sleaze has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not who or where you think I am.
MC Status: 4010

Have to agree with MFXxx on the Bandcamp link. There's a big space in the centre of the header. A nice banner there, perhaps. As it is you have to search around the site for it.
Now, I know I'm new here and all that, and I don't wan't you to think I'm trying to muscle in, but being new, I do have a bit of an ouside perspective.
The main thing was the label website. I clicked the link, and my first reaction was like "WTF"! The first thing you see is in Polish, the next in French. Then it's someting about water heater sevices. Followed by more Polish. I'm sure this is spam, but it doesn't look good.
The other thing to maybe think about is the label name. I know it's probably been the name for a long time, but if you're thinking of a bit of a revamp for IDMF, it might be something to discuss.
Now I wish I was computer savy enough to help in that area, but I'm not. They're the bane of my life most the time, hence why I do my music completely OTB.
I really hope I haven't annoyed, or upset anyone by what I've posted, as it certainly isn't my intention.
Dr. Sleaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #29
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleaze View Post
I really hope I haven't annoyed, or upset anyone by what I've posted, as it certainly isn't my intention.
No..I don't think you said anything there that would piss anyone off on here..and being new just means you might not know us that well..nor us you..but you are just as much a part of IDMf as anyone else. Never feel like you have to hold back making suggestions that might benefit the community either, just because you think you haven't put in much time on here..for all you know, you might suggest something that could be really useful.

------------------
Old 19-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #30
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541030
Thanked 7,002 Times in 4,976 Posts

We are aware of the label website issues. The biggest obstacle there is finding a volunteer who has the skills to fix it. The Bandcamp we should be able to work on ourselves

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #31
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

We've basically lost control of the website as it stands at the moment, and that's why we haven't deleted that spam over there.
At this point we've basically given up on that space.
There's no real excuse for still having the link in the sidebar to it though.
I'll hold my hand up and say that's my fault because I'm Admin, but the fact is it was knackered before Roo and I took over.
Let me just say that I'm not happy that with this type of stuff either, which you would think could and should be possible to sort out in 5 minutes.
See my post earlier about needing some IT support.
Old 19-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #32
A.M

Does that mean, lol, we're going to have to set up shop completely anew..new site..and/or hosting? Just trying to understand what you meant by "We've basically lost control of the website as it stands at the moment, and that's why we haven't deleted that spam over there."

I'm guessing from what you said before that hosting isn't an issue at the moment, as Stu keeps renewing it, but if we has to move, how would that play with Stu? Would there be an issue with the IDMf name?

If we had to, I'd certainly be up for pledging a certain amount each year to go towards costs. It would be a shame if the site just vanished completely..which reminds me, probably stating the obvious here, but make backups of everything if you guys haven't done so already.

------------------
Old 19-10-2017, 09:49 PM   #33
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell

This may already be in place, but:

You should consider setting up a holding entity, likely an LLC or similar, and getting that set as the Registrant of the domain name. Then add all the admins as members of the LLC (it's significantly easier to add and remove members from an LLC than it is a corporation). That way there's recourse if whoever is currently managing the site takes a powder, and would allow for more than one person to do things like renew the domain lease. It'd also make a lot of sense to have the label under (likely the same) LLC, as it'd prevent things like copyright lawsuits from being directed at individuals. But it could really make life easier as far as administration of the site(s).

------------------

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Old 19-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #34
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
This may already be in place, but:

You should consider setting up a holding entity, likely an LLC or similar, and getting that set as the Registrant of the domain name. Then add all the admins as members of the LLC (it's significantly easier to add and remove members from an LLC than it is a corporation). That way there's recourse if whoever is currently managing the site takes a powder, and would allow for more than one person to do things like renew the domain lease. It'd also make a lot of sense to have the label under (likely the same) LLC, as it'd prevent things like copyright lawsuits from being directed at individuals. But it could really make life easier as far as administration of the site(s).
I think this is an idea worth looking into. At the moment we are honestly doing damage control to ensure there is something worth protecting legally. Also there is no money for it right now. I imagine that would end up costing something.

------------------
Old 19-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #35
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I think this is an idea worth looking into. At the moment we are honestly doing damage control to ensure there is something worth protecting legally. Also there is no money for it right now. I imagine that would end up costing something.
Setting up an LLC is mostly free, especially if you're not making any money. There'll be some basic tax forms to fill out every year showing you're operating at a loss, but since it's nobody's primary source of income (and it's not making any money), it's ok to operate at a loss and nobody's going to bother the LLC about anything money related. I think there's maybe a one-time fee of like $100 to register an LLC, depending on the state/country where you do it.

Like lolirl said, it's not really a business. But you have to treat everything like a business these days for legal protection and convenience. This isn't about money, it's about making a group responsible for things instead of individuals (which is made easier by incorporating in some way) and not putting all the eggs in one basket, and a bit of financial/legal protection in case something happens. The time to take precautions are before they happen, because it's almost impossible to enact after the fact (like when the guy that solely owns the domain disappears).

------------------

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Old 19-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #36
lolirl
Administrator

Artificer, big ups for the advice but you're going a bit over my head right now, being that I'm 5 pints in (jazz night with dad).
If you feel you have the time and inclination to perhaps help us a little going forward then please PM me.
Thanks to lolirl
Artificer (19-10-2017)
Old 19-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #37
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Southern Hell

Pints and jazz with dad sounds awesome. Have a good time, the rest of this mess will be here in the morning.

------------------

- Dirk Colon, 2017
Thanks to Artificer
lolirl (20-10-2017)
Old 20-10-2017, 12:35 AM   #38
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
MC Status: 11910

Great to see some of the ideas being floated here. Sounds like it might be a good idea to cut the web page asunder and start a new one. Most people will look for a facebook, twitter, soundcloud, bandcamp page et all before the actual dedicated web page anyway. Feels like idmf is in better shape now than a year ago anyway and with a compilation on the way things are looking up.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #39
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Setting up an LLC is mostly free, especially if you're not making any money. There'll be some basic tax forms to fill out every year showing you're operating at a loss, but since it's nobody's primary source of income (and it's not making any money), it's ok to operate at a loss and nobody's going to bother the LLC about anything money related. I think there's maybe a one-time fee of like $100 to register an LLC, depending on the state/country where you do it.

Like lolirl said, it's not really a business. But you have to treat everything like a business these days for legal protection and convenience. This isn't about money, it's about making a group responsible for things instead of individuals (which is made easier by incorporating in some way) and not putting all the eggs in one basket, and a bit of financial/legal protection in case something happens. The time to take precautions are before they happen, because it's almost impossible to enact after the fact (like when the guy that solely owns the domain disappears).
I don't want to speak for Roo and Auto, but I agree with lolirl that this is all over my head. I'm just a brickheaded writing teacher : )

If you'd like to group PM us some direction/info on this, it'd be great.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (20-10-2017)
Old 20-10-2017, 04:39 AM   #40
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478504

I do want to say it's cool we're talking about all these things. Definitely want to see the IDMf become a force to be reckoned with in the world of music.

On another note,
Quote:
Is it worth you guys discussing measures to ensure there is still an active community or how you could maybe stimulate growth? Im not saying you don't talk about this or you're not trying so be kind to me
I think more active, ongoing music projects, competitions, compilations, etc are nice. That's what I always love in the community, is even just informal music making competitions, such as the Beat Battles, and the Pure Moods and Club Bangerz projects were awesome. No better way of learning to make music than making music on a regular basis.

Advertisements

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to I/O_Madness
A.M (20-10-2017)