IDMf netlabel: what are the plans?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

IDMf Netlabel Albums + Discussion Chat about IDMf label releases goes here.

Old 17-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #1
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269464908
Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,873 Posts
IDMf netlabel: what are the plans?

Hello IDMf,
As you have noticed the Netlabel has been very quiet recently, but fear not, there have been discussions in the super-secret mod rooms and things are happening.

First of all, IDMf048 "Dark techno/design" compilation is currently being mastered and it will be the biggest IDMf release so far, the community response was above our expectations.

After that, we've already discussed the next community release, starting around November/December (TBC). More details later on but I'm sure a particular thread in the studio section contains at least 2 hints...

IDMf050 will be out early next year and if all goes to plan, it will a big surprise (to us mods too...).

And on top of that, we'll be bringing out a few new formats.

Acknowledging that a full release is beyond the means of many of us and to be honest is also a bit of an anachronistic way of releasing music, we'd like to start releasing singles and EPs.

As you know, all of our releases are available for free on Bandcamp and for streaming on Soundcloud (Soundwhat?!!?)) and this is not going to change, but music consumption has changed, so we'll try to also put music out on Youtube, with either standard "album art" videos of if any artists want to, with custom videos.

Which brings us to the next topic, Spotify.
Like it or not, Spotify is one of the most used platform, so as a label we should be there.

Unfortunately digital distribution is not free and as of now IDMf Netlabel is a zero budget label.

With IDMf049, we'll re-open the possibility to "pay-what-you-like" on Bandcamp.
These funds will be used to finance the releases on a release-by-release basis, so each release will hopefully generate enough to pay for the full digital release of the following one.

We would start distributing digitally the community releases (i,e: compilaitons) first, hopefully if we have the funds, singles and EPs will follow.

I hear the question coming: "what with the extra money you will make from selling the music?"
(Yeah, right...)
- All money generated by community releases will be reinvested in financing the next release and distributing the back catalogue.
- All money made from EPs and Singles? Frankly I do not know yet.
Most likely it will be so little that it will be barely enough to publish the next release. In a perfect world it would be split 50/50 with the artist, but we can't promise anything. We have not tried this before, we have no idea of how much we're talking about, if personal experience is anything to go buy, we'll be bankrupt by end of Q2 CY18.

So to sum it up:
- IDMf048 is coming!
- IDMf049 to be announced soon.
- We'll be trialling a new self-financing model.
- We need you all.
- Hardware>software.

Comments? Opinions?

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts
Re: IDMf netlabel: what are the plans?

I was of the understanding that you can get a deal where you pay for a years subscription with a distributor and you can add as many new releases as you like you just have to pay the yearly subscription. If that's the case it should be easier for you. Sounds like a great plan to me.

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
relic (17-10-2017)
Old 17-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #3
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21260

Maybe sign up for hearthis too? I think the general consensus is that it's much easier to be featured there, and you can also use it as a storefront like bandcamp. Might be especially good for selling singles.

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540880
Thanked 6,999 Times in 4,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Maybe sign up for hearthis too? I think the general consensus is that it's much easier to be featured there, and you can also use it as a storefront like bandcamp. Might be especially good for selling singles.
Great suggestion. Iíve been meaning to switch over entirely myself. We will look into it. I know Roo already uses it pretty heavily. Thanks man.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

So would there ever be a rethink on the no illegal samples rule? Or a discussion

------------------
jbvdb493 (17-10-2017)
Old 17-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
So would there ever be a rethink on the no illegal samples rule? Or a discussion
Not discussed that yet, I've personally been thinking about it and I don't see a problem with it, but I also know how expensive it could be for a label if one of you makes a massive hit using a Justin Bieber sample...

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
I/O_Madness (20-10-2017)
Old 17-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Iíd be open to discussing some kind of plausable deniability rule for non-compilation releases. Or some kind of waiver the artist signs releasing the label from responsibility over such matters. But Iím just the new guy : )

------------------
Thanks to relic
I/O_Madness (20-10-2017)
Old 17-10-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Yes I think if you we're to consider it it would have to be individual artist releases only as then you can discuss it openly with the artist behind closed doors. If it doesn't get changed I won't be upset the rule is there for a reason but for me its a no brainer just so that there aren't any restrictions on the music itself.

You guys do you

(I love saying shit things like that now its my new thing)

------------------
relic (17-10-2017)
Old 17-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Yes I think if you we're to consider it it would have to be individual artist releases only as then you can discuss it openly with the artist behind closed doors. If it doesn't get changed I won't be upset the rule is there for a reason but for me its a no brainer just so that there aren't any restrictions on the music itself.

You guys do you

(I love saying shit things like that now its my new thing)
Weíll spitball about it, get the ball rolling and send you an action plan ASAP. Have a blessed day.

------------------
Thanks to relic
FunkMasterBrown (17-10-2017)
Old 17-10-2017, 11:37 PM   #10
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 107950
Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,386 Posts

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
I/O_Madness (20-10-2017)
Old 18-10-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183910
Thanked 3,678 Times in 2,740 Posts

That all sounds pretty damned fine, Auto..nice move to handling singles and EPs as well..really cool.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
- Hardware>software.
Software=digital release?
Hardware=physical release?

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #13
Iyashi Sound
Microknight
Iyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond reputeIyashi Sound has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4360

Personally I prefer the old school non-profit ways of doing things, and so I'm not a exactly a fan of using these paid "digital distribution services". Paying corporate pigs for services like Spotify seems too much like getting caught in a scam to me. Let's not give those people more money and influence than they already have!

I'd be much happier if you used the donations coming in from Bandcamp to pay for artwork or mastering. Even a symbolic payment for jobs like that is better than nothing.

Last edited by Iyashi Sound; 18-10-2017 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: edited for clarity
Iyashi Sound is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Iyashi Sound
D42K732202 (25-10-2017)
Old 18-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #14
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Software=digital release?
Hardware=physical release?
No, I was actually taking a side in the eternal producing on hardware VS producing on software debate.

------------------
Thanks to Automageddon
I/O_Madness (20-10-2017)
Old 18-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #15
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post
Personally I prefer the old school non-profit ways of doing things, and so I'm not a exactly a fan of using these paid "digital distribution services". Paying corporate pigs for services like Spotify seems too much like getting caught in a scam to me. Let's not give those people more money and influence than they already have!

I'd be much happier if you used the donations coming in from Bandcamp to pay for artwork or mastering. Even a symbolic payment for jobs like that is better than nothing.
All valid points, especially about mastering and artwork. Not everyone is against digital distribution, I actually think most of us are perfectly fine with it.
I guess it will be worth when we see how IDMf048 is going and what the distribution costs are, to look into the possibility to offer some compensation for our mastering volunteer.

------------------
Old 18-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #16
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 13860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
No, I was actually taking a side in the eternal producing on hardware VS producing on software debate.
Ahhh I see

------------------
My dog ate my mixing levels
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyashi Sound View Post

While I donít 100% disagree philosophically, I think the netlabel owes the community something in return for their best work (assuming that is what we get, of course). There has to be a reason to submit to the netlabelóif all we are going to do is slap the music up a few places like SC and contact three blogs, then why submit to us at all? You might as well self-release at that point.

------------------
Thanks to relic
A.M (18-10-2017)
Old 18-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #18
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Is it worth you guys discussing measures to ensure there is still an active community or how you could maybe stimulate growth? Im not saying you don't talk about this or you're not trying so be kind to me

------------------
Old 18-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #19
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183910
Thanked 3,678 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Is it worth you guys discussing measures to ensure there is still an active community or how you could maybe stimulate growth? Im not saying you don't talk about this or you're not trying so be kind to me
Good point, Ed..maybe arrange compos, like other forums/sites do, with prizes sponsored by 3rd parties..that kind of thing. I know it would be more work and all that, but it's something worth thinking about..not saying you guys haven't thought / talked about it already behind closed doors, but it's just a thought.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
FunkMasterBrown (18-10-2017)
Old 18-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #20
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

I thought you were a mod?

Advertisements

------------------