How many plug-ins do you consider essential? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 25-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #21
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560
Icon7 Re: How many plug-ins do you consider essential?

Similar... Today i reduced my drum sample library to 49 main samples to match my midi controller and just a few extras. It really helped.

Advertisements

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 08:44 AM   #22
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810
Re: How many plug-ins do you consider essential?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Really? I thought v.1 was only vapourware!
lol...

Peace

Last edited by LDKitz; 26-08-2017 at 09:02 AM..
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to LDKitz
Vault O))) (26-08-2017)
Old 26-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #23
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaside View Post
This. I started making a list, but it got longer and longer...

However, if you got a DAW with EQ, comp, reverb, delay and some synth, generally you don't really need anything else to make music. I think I significantly improved my sound design and, partly, workflow when I went minimalistic and was making music with only some simple freeware plugins for quite a while a few years back.
I think it works the opposite way. Better tools generally give better results.

My sound has improved alongside acquiring better EQs, better compressors, better reverbs, better distortion, ...

A good EQ makes performing equalization more streamlined (no guesswork).

A good compressor or limiter makes it much easier to get the kind of sound one wants (shitty ones cannot even be pushed to compress in such way as some better designed ones, because they will distort or pump, rather than compress smoothly. Although I've heard that even shitty compressors could be used if one uses multiple of them in series and on each applies only < 3dB of gain reduction. The result would then be created by the compressors in series, rather than trying to make one compressor do all the GR).

Better reverbs leave the dry sound more intact and don't have to be equalized so much in order to "fit". They may also offer more detailed stereo imaging adding to "believability" of the sound.

Better distortions add more pleasing harmonics and less undesirable harmonics.

Not all DAW effects are shitty though, some of them are rebranded and developed by well-known plug-in manufacturers. E.g. the Cubase maximizer ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
).

Last edited by soundmodel; 26-08-2017 at 09:01 AM..

------------------
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #24
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with soundmodel--there are advantages to having specifics.

------------------
Old 26-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #25
starphase
Minor Glitch
starphase has a spectacular aura aboutstarphase has a spectacular aura about
Palo, Leyte
MC Status: 160

I don't really have any 'essentials' that I use, as most of my VSTs are freeware. I really just make do with what I have.

That said though, I'm really having fun tweaking with Togu Audioline's Elek7ro and Noisemaker plugins. I've always been a fan of 8-bit and 16-bit videogame music, so I sometimes incorporate those sounds in some way.
starphase is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to starphase
Parricide (21-09-2017)
Old 26-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #26
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmodel View Post
I think it works the opposite way. Better tools generally give better results.
From my experience I can say that the progress I made while playing around with stock effects was significant - when I buy a new tool, mostly it doesn't really open up new possibilities, but just adds a different sonic flavor and maybe some workflow improvements. I can do most of my sound design, apart from some spectral and granular mangling, inside of my DAW with audio racks and stock effects. There are some exceptions, since some spectral stuff like Photosounder, RX or Morph really gave me some completely new options for sound design, but honestly, I can't say the same about EQ/saturation unit number 42...

My general recommendation is this: If you have money to spend, sure, play around with all the tools and buy what you like, why not. It can inspire, improve workflow, add different sonic flavours and, from time to time, open up new possibilities - but if you don't, just focus on the tools you have and just improve your skills - you will benefit from it.

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 10:50 PM   #27
Ardacris
Regular Freak
Ardacris is currently spamming hard
Hessen
MC Status: 10

In my opinion it comes dowwn to how you use your stuff (if your plugins have a minimum of quality).

Also i think there is a lot of placebo going on, you will use more expensive plugins more carefully and percieve them as better sounding. But in reality the differences are minimal.

Personally i mostly use the Fabfilter stuff for everything. But it's always nice to have plugins with different sonic qualities for different jobs.

So I would say essential plug-ins are:

1 EQ for precise cutting, 1 EQ for forming, 2 compressors, 2 limiters and so on...

Having more than, let's say 30-ish plug-ins can be distracting in your workflow, with the endless possibilites today you have to voluntary limit your options.
Ardacris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 02:06 AM   #28
bbb
IDMf Artist
bbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MCbbb is a savage MC
ATX
MC Status: 5743193

After my computer killed everything and I'm starting over, I think I only have a few things back. But I'm focusing more on my hardware /ableton stuff. So...that.

PS - I'm an idiot and my computer died...

------------------
Say
bbb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to bbb
A.M (29-08-2017)
Old 30-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #29
localspace
Minor Glitch
localspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the roughlocalspace is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I was browsing a second hand marketplace and came across this guy selling his stuff because he had 'ended his hobby'

His hobby apparently needed Barefoot monitors, the full-on UAD suite with all the extras and whatnot.
It made me pretty glad I'm not that kind of producer.. Like, how do you even pick a compressor from that list?? Where is the fun factor?
localspace is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #30
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536127
Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,250 Posts

If Sound Toys added a Reverb and a Compressor to their suite I could probably just use it.

I really like the way their stuff sounds and the ability to drive most of them gives them a great "vibe".

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #31
LDKitz
Granular Poster
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
If Sound Toys added a Reverb and a Compressor to their suite I could probably just use it.

I really like the way their stuff sounds and the ability to drive most of them gives them a great "vibe".
Yeah man , SoundToys is some good shit.
Well , i think u can use the "Devil-Loc Deluxe" as a compressor , its made for drums but anyway..
Every plugin they did is fking amazing.
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #32
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDKitz View Post
Yeah man , SoundToys is some good shit.
Well , i think u can use the "Devil-Loc Deluxe" as a compressor , its made for drums but anyway..
Every plugin they did is fking amazing.
yeah its a compressor but with the finesse of a sledgehammer.

------------------
Old 31-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #33
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts

This is a terrible thread. It's a subliminal GAS inducing thread. Now I feel like I want Morph 2. A plugin I've never heard of before.

Then came the kicker... you watch YouTube demos and they tend to also show you other cool stuff. Then you're gonna want that, too. Because one can never have enough creative plugins. Like Cableguys Timeshaper. That's a cool one, and hey, look PanShaper 2 is out. Uuuuh, I want that.

Then I go to the Cableguys site and log in (I've been using PanShaper for a while) and, doooh, I have already bought the complete suite and just need to update.

So, if you already have so many plugins you don't remember some of them, you get to discover presents from time to time.

I think we need a don't bother with this crap plugin thread.
I'll nominate Breaktweaker. Looks like shit, and is so unfun to me it just lingers. Tremor... also not fun to use, but competent. Then there's a litany of stuff I was using quite a bit for a short time and then sorta lost interest.

In general, beware of the Swiss Army knife plugins. If they do not have a super clean and intuitive GUI and workflow, you gotta muster some dedication (Geist 2 is an example, or Egoist). Also beware of stuff that doesn't give you the right amount of control (your preference matters... some like a degree of randomness). Also, very specific niche FX or one Trick Ponys... make sure the trick is really what you want.

A clean and intuitive interface! Can't say that enough. Too many great plugins have these ridiculously tiny knobs. Ohmicide. It's the shit, but wtf is it with those microscopic dials. Some soundtoys plugins. Kontakt... no scalable window? Is this 1992?

That's what I love FabFilter for. Brilliantly intuitive. Serum. Diva. Massive. Bazille. In some ways, Omnisphere. Any Kontakt Library by Output.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 11:37 PM   #34
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
This is a terrible thread. It's a subliminal GAS inducing thread. Now I feel like I want Morph 2. A plugin I've never heard of before.

Then came the kicker... you watch YouTube demos and they tend to also show you other cool stuff. Then you're gonna want that, too. Because one can never have enough creative plugins. Like Cableguys Timeshaper. That's a cool one, and hey, look PanShaper 2 is out. Uuuuh, I want that.

Then I go to the Cableguys site and log in (I've been using PanShaper for a while) and, doooh, I have already bought the complete suite and just need to update.

So, if you already have so many plugins you don't remember some of them, you get to discover presents from time to time.

I think we need a don't bother with this crap plugin thread.
I'll nominate Breaktweaker. Looks like shit, and is so unfun to me it just lingers. Tremor... also not fun to use, but competent. Then there's a litany of stuff I was using quite a bit for a short time and then sorta lost interest.

In general, beware of the Swiss Army knife plugins. If they do not have a super clean and intuitive GUI and workflow, you gotta muster some dedication (Geist 2 is an example, or Egoist). Also beware of stuff that doesn't give you the right amount of control (your preference matters... some like a degree of randomness). Also, very specific niche FX or one Trick Ponys... make sure the trick is really what you want.

A clean and intuitive interface! Can't say that enough. Too many great plugins have these ridiculously tiny knobs. Ohmicide. It's the shit, but wtf is it with those microscopic dials. Some soundtoys plugins. Kontakt... no scalable window? Is this 1992?

That's what I love FabFilter for. Brilliantly intuitive. Serum. Diva. Massive. Bazille. In some ways, Omnisphere. Any Kontakt Library by Output.
im not sure i can take this post completely seriously given the nature of the GAS you have displayed on IDMF.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
liquid_air (31-08-2017)
Old 31-08-2017, 11:41 PM   #35
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
im not sure i can take this post completely seriously given the nature of the GAS you have displayed on IDMF.

Hey! I only ever got just what I needed at the time and have shown great restraint!!!

------------------

Thanks to liquid_air
chasedobson (31-08-2017)
Old 31-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #36
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Hey! I only ever got just what I needed at the time and have shown great restraint!!!
ha! glad you're having fun man.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
liquid_air (31-08-2017)
Old 31-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #37
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Oh, yeah... I happened to need Heaviocity Novo because it was discounted. And Output Substance. Then I also really needed Movement. EchoBoy I had on my list for a long time. FilterFreak came along for the ride. Always good to have some filters. Vocalise 2, because 1 was the shit.

See, it's all perfectly under control.

Electricity 6 is still on the list. For the occasional guitar needs...

------------------

Old 07-09-2017, 04:07 AM   #38
Tzarar
Minor Glitch
Tzarar is a jewel in the roughTzarar is a jewel in the roughTzarar is a jewel in the roughTzarar is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Zero.

But actually 12,
zero or 12.
Tzarar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tzarar
Lichtgestalth (16-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 06:24 PM   #39
Daggit
Master of the LFO

I always end up with about 10 different EQs.
I mainly use 2, but for certain situations, I really need each of the other 8.

So yeah, you can see how they add up.

------------------
Old 11-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #40
PrimeSuspect
Minor Glitch
PrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura aboutPrimeSuspect has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

15-20 actually

Advertisements

PrimeSuspect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote