I really suck at mastering. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 02-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #41
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
MC Status: 3541243
Re: I really suck at mastering.

I just get the mix as best as i can with what i have, then i listen on many different mediums, like shit headphones, laptop speakers, bluetooth speakers, bigger speakers, etc. and if it sounds decent i just loudize it and if it's decent ill release it.

However, it's very important to master properly, i just don't do it....If i had a REAL release i'd probably hire somebody as i don't have the means for acoustic treatment as i travel around a lot.

Advertisements

------------------
Paggos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:09 AM   #42
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
I always get discouraged when I finish a song up and I think, damn I got this one sounding pretty loud. Then I scroll through some tracks on SC and think NOPE, mine still pails in comparison. I don't understand how people are getting their stuff so loud, and still having dynamic range.

It truly baffled me, and I've prowled all over youtube trying to find any source of information to help tackle this. Do any of you guys have any good sources on the loudness war and how to achieve what everyone else achieves haha.
Do you have a song as an example that you have heard that you think, "DAMN! That's loud!" and are impressed with?

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:43 PM   #43
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I know it probably doesn't mean a lot from some guy on a forum, but your tracks typically sound loud (and balanced) to me, and this is coming from someone who normally doesn't like stuff in the EDM genre.

By balanced, I think they usually sound loud 'enough' while still retaining transients and dynamics. People who push it harder than that just sound like they're clipping everything. If I were you, I'd only get shit professionally mastered in order to get a better sound that I couldn't already achieve, because the loud-factor is definitely there.

FWIW, YMMV, FYE, IMO, etc
Im going to endorse this. I was actually surprised to see you posting this Chaotix. Your mixes sounds fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
I always get discouraged when I finish a song up and I think, damn I got this one sounding pretty loud. Then I scroll through some tracks on SC and think NOPE, mine still pails in comparison. I don't understand how people are getting their stuff so loud, and still having dynamic range.

It truly baffled me, and I've prowled all over youtube trying to find any source of information to help tackle this. Do any of you guys have any good sources on the loudness war and how to achieve what everyone else achieves haha.

However I do understand where you are coming from and ironically, your mixes was the first that came to my mind regarding loudness. So I dont feel you are too far off.
I often see the Bob Katz book referenced as a mandated "Must Read".
I believe from my homework, there's also a lot to be said about understanding gain induced with various plugins itb.
Also keep all your tracks prior to master sub -6db, leave the master gain to the final master mix.

I will echo though your thoughts, my mixes are very low in volume compared to many even when the master level is showing at maximum anything above starts to sound distorted. My current working theory is getting a low level balance of all the frequencies. Then work up on the master.

Still experimenting with a combo of plugins on the master with this limiltess, N4 and elevate.

However one thing I am going to test, is rework a mix without any plugins and only use Klanghelm plugins on the mix to see how they level out. These all default at -18db and are regarded (my personal understanding) as one of the best true levels for mixing.

Now Im rambling...so checking out to loiter mode for thread

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
A.M (08-11-2017)
Old 29-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #44
corwintrails
IDMf's latest spammer
corwintrails has a spectacular aura aboutcorwintrails has a spectacular aura aboutcorwintrails has a spectacular aura about
Michigan
MC Status: 210

I've frequently heard mastering referred to as a "dark art" and people who master as "sorcerers."

I think there is a lot of truth to this. It's easy to dismiss subtleties as not that necessary, or to think one can just put limiter and compression on a track and it's done. I think, yes, you can totally get away with this, and put it on soundcloud and people will like it. BUT, when you hear professionally mastered albums, there is clearly something different. It's nearly impossible to articulate what or how or why it sounds different, but it does. It's just better.

I just returned from a class with field recording pro, Chris Watson, and he said he's given up understanding it or trying to do it himself. He said he has a guy he trusts, and he simply gives him tracks and says make it sound better and it does. I think if you have the money, you should pay someone who knows what they're doing. Otherwise, it's not worth worrying too much about if you're not looking to get a record deal or make a bunch of money.
corwintrails is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #45
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4360

How I stopped calling it a dark art, even though I'm still mystified by it, ymmv:

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #46
Lalo
Minor Glitch
Lalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
How I stopped calling it a dark art, even though I'm still mystified by it, ymmv:
The page is very interesting. What headphones did you get? I was told that buying good headphones without proper audio card makes no difference and is pointless.
Lalo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:43 AM   #47
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalo View Post
The page is very interesting. What headphones did you get? I was told that buying good headphones without proper audio card makes no difference and is pointless.
I threw out the Sennheiser 280s (red) and got the HD25-s (blue). Worth the investment as, unlike the 280s, I could actually learn how the 25s sound. That 70-200Hz uneven drop on the 280s - killed all my mixes over N years.

Modern electronics are more effective at driving without changing frequency response a wide range of headphones, except for very high impedance ones (600Ω) that may be too quiet. 64Ω works on everything. Also, any quiet and stable audio interface works.

Basically beyond not having drastically uneven space+speakers or headphones, it's not a technical issue. Allow time to learn the sound/response, and mind how one frequency range can mask another.

------------------
Old 08-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #48
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7210

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

This site is great for judging headphones.
You can search through approx. 500 headphones, and they have FR as well as FR with delay over time which is where real mixing values truly come in, because if all frequencies but the low end die off, then build up and issues can happen.

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheStumps
A.M (08-12-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #49
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4460

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
I threw out the Sennheiser 280s (red) and got the HD25-s (blue). Worth the investment as, unlike the 280s, I could actually learn how the 25s sound. That 70-200Hz uneven drop on the 280s - killed all my mixes over N years.

Modern electronics are more effective at driving without changing frequency response a wide range of headphones, except for very high impedance ones (600Ω) that may be too quiet. 64Ω works on everything. Also, any quiet and stable audio interface works.

Basically beyond not having drastically uneven space+speakers or headphones, it's not a technical issue. Allow time to learn the sound/response, and mind how one frequency range can mask another.
As a person who moved to HD280s some time ago, it's really interesting too see this chart.

While not being used to them yet, I still think they are miles better than my old AKG240 MKIIs after all.

EDIT: btw, after reading this, I instantly noticed how the tune in my sig has way too much of that low mid/high bass mud, thx!

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #50
eesn
Knob Twiddler
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
EDIT: btw, after reading this, I instantly noticed how the tune in my sig has way too much of that low mid/high bass mud, thx!
lucky you. by the time i'd notice, the mix would require such deep changes, i'd spend a day stressing out and finally losing track of what needed doing, never able to explain why it sounds so weird.

anyway, they are very musical, just don't trust them to mix with.

------------------
Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #51
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41710

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post

Not to throw this into even more of a tangent, but I think it sounds great.

You guys are all too hard on yourselves
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 AM   #52
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Not to throw this into even more of a tangent, but I think it sounds great.

You guys are all too hard on yourselves
Thanks!

But I still couldn't resist so I had to tweak it.

Advertisements

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote