The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #41
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
-Agu-'s Avatar
Helsinki
Age: 22
Posts: 199
MC Status: 4460
Thanks: 48
Thanked 89 Times in 62 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrsal View Post
Personally I'm a mac guy, in spite of the fact that Macs are ridiculously overpriced. My main reason for macs is really just logic. When you consider that pretty much everything you need to produce is in a piece of software that costs only 200$ and includes a host of high-quality synths, virtual instruments and quality plug-ins, well I feel like I'm getting a bang for my buck.
This is what I've been trying to tell everyone. Reason was like 350€ when I moved from it, and the whole process of Reason -> Logic, still felt like moving into a big mansion from a tiny apartment flat. And just the fact how they added Alchemy as a free update, when even the older version used to cost like 300€ as a standalone...

But I do agree on the rain and piss part. The thing is that Macs used to be superior to PCs in multiple ways. It's not the same case anymore, but people haven't realized it. I wouldn't buy a Macbook today, but I'm happy I did 5 years ago. Someone who did the same thing 10 years ago benefitted even more. But five years from now on? If Apple keeps riding the wave and keeps their current course, there will be absolutely zero reason for anyone to ever buy a Macbook in 2022

Advertisements


------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #42
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
Rvrsal's Avatar
Posts: 43
MC Status: 1010
Thanks: 14
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
This is what I've been trying to tell everyone. Reason was like 350 when I moved from it, and the whole process of Reason -> Logic, still felt like moving into a big mansion from a tiny apartment flat. And just the fact how they added Alchemy as a free update, when even the older version used to cost like 300 as a standalone...

But I do agree on the rain and piss part. The thing is that Macs used to be superior to PCs in multiple ways. It's not the same case anymore, but people haven't realized it. I wouldn't buy a Macbook today, but I'm happy I did 5 years ago. Someone who did the same thing 10 years ago benefitted even more. But five years from now on? If Apple keeps riding the wave and keeps their current course, there will be absolutely zero reason for anyone to ever buy a Macbook in 2022
Yup, exactly. For me the only reason I went for Mac again, apart from the OS and the cheap software, is because I got an Imac. The new MBPs are ridiculously overpriced and that touchbar thing is just ridiculous. I don't how you can buy into a touchbar being some kind of great addition to a laptop..:justlookatit:
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Eden's Architect
Old 28-05-2017, 11:51 PM   #43
Lalo
Minor Glitch
Lalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to allLalo is a name known to all
Lalo's Avatar
Posts: 36
MC Status: 610
Thanks: 1
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Producing and playing sets on mac. It's simple and never has let me down. Although i bought windows recently with better specification it's still more comfortable for me to stick with mac in case of music.
Lalo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 12:32 AM   #44
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,348
MC Status: 6903759
Thanks: 4,639
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
And don't think you'll game off vanilla integrated graphics on the chip. I couldn't stand apple ever since I got an iPhone 4s (first smart phone) and ios7 drops and "hey. ....phone's fucked. Awesome." Went from stability and speed to slow and agony.
Yes, I have similar experiences with Android handsets. One year they're amazing, then two updates later and they're bricks. Funnily enough I have the same issues running latest generation software on five year old computers, unless they were specced to the teeth back in their day (like my 2010 MBP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrsal View Post
I don't how you can buy into a touchbar being some kind of great addition to a laptop..:justlookatit:
The touch bar is pretty awesome dude. So many cool things being rolled out and once it catches on that's going to snowball.

I used Lightroom on my mate's MBP and using the touchbar to develop shots is pretty cool. Although I found it preferable working on a second screen so I can position the laptop more comfortably.

But still, it is the coolest new hardware/software feature to be rolled out in desktop / laptop computing for a loooooong time. And I am super glad that Apple didn't go the stupid route and go touchscreen (ew gross).
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 12:45 AM   #45
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
Rvrsal's Avatar
Posts: 43
MC Status: 1010
Thanks: 14
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Yes, I have similar experiences with Android handsets. One year they're amazing, then two updates later and they're bricks. Funnily enough I have the same issues running latest generation software on five year old computers, unless they were specced to the teeth back in their day (like my 2010 MBP)



The touch bar is pretty awesome dude. So many cool things being rolled out and once it catches on that's going to snowball.

I used Lightroom on my mate's MBP and using the touchbar to develop shots is pretty cool. Although I found it preferable working on a second screen so I can position the laptop more comfortably.

But still, it is the coolest new hardware/software feature to be rolled out in desktop / laptop computing for a loooooong time. And I am super glad that Apple didn't go the stupid route and go touchscreen (ew gross).
Interesting, I'll have to give it a go on LPX then! I just saw it and felt kind of unconvinced kinda like, wow is that all you can come up with!? Probably judging too soon though, I'll try to give it a go when I get a chance
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 06:23 AM   #46
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,348
MC Status: 6903759
Thanks: 4,639
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrsal View Post
Interesting, I'll have to give it a go on LPX then! I just saw it and felt kind of unconvinced kinda like, wow is that all you can come up with!? Probably judging too soon though, I'll try to give it a go when I get a chance
Honestly, I think it's just going to take a year or two for developers to catch up. There's some cool novelty stuff being produced already, like a MIDI keyboard for example.

Probably think a lot of cross platform app developers will hold off and rolling out features until other hardware vendors start following suit.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #47
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
Bluesh1ft's Avatar
In another world, usually
Posts: 246
MC Status: 2160
Thanks: 111
Thanked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

If you like to spend money get a mac. If you like to try out all kinds of stuff get a PC. If you like inflicting pain on yourself such as putting thousands of tiny needles into your eyes use Linux. If you like thousands of needles lit on fire stuck in your eyes then use Free BSD.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bluesh1ft
A.M (30-05-2017)
Old 30-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #48
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MCdada_davros is a savage MC
dada_davros's Avatar
Posts: 355
MC Status: 11910
Thanks: 104
Thanked 238 Times in 154 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

I think this thread has settled it. Case closed guys.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Know Your Enemy - Rage against the machine
Old 30-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #49
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
thom's Avatar
Nouvelle Franse
Posts: 3,600
MC Status: 154410
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,855 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
And I am super glad that Apple didn't go the stupid route and go touchscreen (ew gross).
Yeah they went the extra negative stupid mile and made touchscreens more or less incompatible/unusable/impractical/unconfigurable with their jolly-candy-colored OS. Clap clap. First fuckin prize in the backwards category of wtf. "U want touch cuntputing? Buy an iPad and apps." Fuk U.


My wrists and shoulders forced me to get a touchscreen to do most things on the daw. It would be more or less useless if I was on Mac Os.

Fuck apple. Glad for you if it works for you. But fuck apple still. There is nothing I'd like to see more in the world than Apple fall flat on it's shitface. (edit : except maybe for world peace and shit.)

Last edited by thom; 30-05-2017 at 01:06 PM..
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
A.M (30-05-2017)
Old 30-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #50
HawaiiRumble
Learning The Ropes
HawaiiRumble is currently spamming hard
Posts: 1
MC Status: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

"While the main operating system for Apple is OSX*, and PCs operate on Microsoft Windows*, only Macs have the capability to run both?"

From quick little intel link. Is this true? I must be a noob cause I didn't know that. That could possibly be an argument killer, but I'll stick to windows thanks
HawaiiRumble is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #51
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Automageddon's Avatar
Less kids, more synths.
Age: 38
Posts: 9,820
MC Status: 269464908
Thanks: 1,051
Thanked 2,826 Times in 1,873 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Ditch both, go hardware.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #52
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Artificer's Avatar
Southern Hell
Posts: 582
MC Status: 33560
Thanks: 222
Thanked 671 Times in 391 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiRumble View Post
"While the main operating system for Apple is OSX*, and PCs operate on Microsoft Windows*, only Macs have the capability to run both?"

From quick little intel link. Is this true? I must be a noob cause I didn't know that. That could possibly be an argument killer, but I'll stick to windows thanks
No, that's not true at all. That quote's also a complete clusterfuck of misused terms and conflating software and hardware and inserting virtualization without actually mentioning it.

But no, it's not true. At this point with a little bit of effort and decently modern hardware, anything can run anything.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
A.M (16-09-2017)
Old 31-05-2017, 12:18 AM   #53
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,348
MC Status: 6903759
Thanks: 4,639
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Yeah they went the extra negative stupid mile and made touchscreens more or less incompatible/unusable/impractical/unconfigurable with their jolly-candy-colored OS. Clap clap. First fuckin prize in the backwards category of wtf. "U want touch cuntputing? Buy an iPad and apps." Fuk U.
I bet you be all over the Surface Pro then

And you can buy touchscreens for an Apple computer, and there's some pretty decent "drivers" or whatever you would call them that provide really good functionality (basically all the gestures you get on your trackpad / phone / tablet and some customisable ones).

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
My wrists and shoulders forced me to get a touchscreen to do most things on the daw. It would be more or less useless if I was on Mac Os.
I just use keyboard shortcuts myself

But this is why having a touchscreen attached to a laptop makes no sense to me. It's just an RSI waiting to happen.

Plus, for me, I can't think of why I would want to pollute my beautiful displays with gross shit from my hands. Like every time I see someone's touchscreen that's the first thing I notice and then they're like "Try it bro!"

Er... yeah sure... got any screen wipes first?

"Screen wipes?"

EWWWWW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Fuck apple. Glad for you if it works for you. But fuck apple still. There is nothing I'd like to see more in the world than Apple fall flat on it's shitface. (edit : except maybe for world peace and shit.)
Meh, all of the fuck Apple shit could be just as easily applied to [insert corporate entity of choice here] except if you're saying fuck Apple because they're better at marketing.

But dollar for dollar, the value of their Pro line is on par with any other that has the specs, durability and longevity of theirs. If you buy a laptop half the price you get quarter of the value and you will not still be using it in seven years for anything other than checking email.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 12:49 AM   #54
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
thom's Avatar
Nouvelle Franse
Posts: 3,600
MC Status: 154410
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,855 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Oh... it's for the stuff there are no shortcuts for that I got this. Tweaking plugins, most notably.

Also to patch my Nord Modular.Life is just better with this.

As for finger gunk.... I dunno man. Just imagine what is on your keyboard and mouse that you can't see. An ecosystem of finger gunk and germs and germ gunk. It's not killing you.

#handsanitizerisfortheweak

Re: apple bashing.
They told me to think different once and it didn't go down too well, it felt like an insult. Especially after my G3 PBook died... one month after buying a license of Logic, one month before emagic sold to apple. Still feelin' raunchy about it... they can SUCK MY FILTHY INPUT DEVICE
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 02:42 AM   #55
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,348
MC Status: 6903759
Thanks: 4,639
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Oh... it's for the stuff there are no shortcuts for that I got this. Tweaking plugins, most notably.

Also to patch my Nord Modular.Life is just better with this.
I actually think that touch dial thing that they made for the Surface Pro is pretty dope. And I reckon for plugins that allow rotary scrolling for parameter changes it would be rad. But using touch for controls that just go up down feels a bit weird for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
As for finger gunk.... I dunno man. Just imagine what is on your keyboard and mouse that you can't see. An ecosystem of finger gunk and germs and germ gunk. It's not killing you.

#handsanitizerisfortheweak
Mate, you should see my morning keyboard / trackpad ritual with the alcohol wipes!
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 12:13 PM   #56
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
Roo Stercogburn's Avatar
On horseback
Posts: 10,524
MC Status: 42388249
Thanks: 1,224
Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,316 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

There are environments where one or other is no use but its silly to say that any of the operating systems or platforms on which they sit are shit all the time. That just shows ignorance and a lack of breadth of experience.

If you've got a workhorse you like, stick with it.

It doesn't matter what OS or platform you prefer so long as it works for you.

Go produce music on your superior system. If you think the output is good enough, send it to IDMf.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #57
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to behold
TheSampleThief's Avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 94
MC Status: 660
Thanks: 9
Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

I've been producing for maybe 8 years on PC and never had any problems whatsoever. Well, okay, my only "gear" I have is a 100 $ MIDI-keyboard that I've had since I started producing..... ^^'

I'd never ever buy an apple product, cuz compared to basically all other electronic devices, apple products are the ones that just keep fudging me over hard.

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:58 AM   #58
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,348
MC Status: 6903759
Thanks: 4,639
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
There are environments where one or other is no use but its silly to say that any of the operating systems or platforms on which they sit are shit all the time. That just shows ignorance and a lack of breadth of experience.
No, there is one OS which is objectively worse than the others bro. It doesn't matter if you use it. It doesn't matter if you like it. Hell. You can love it for all anyone cares.

But to say there's no difference between a Datsun and a Ferrari, that's what's ignorant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
If you've got a workhorse you like, stick with it.

It doesn't matter what OS or platform you prefer so long as it works for you.
Yes. Your Datsun will get you to work on time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Go produce music on your superior system. If you think the output is good enough, send it to IDMf.
It's never good enough bro. I thought something was good enough the other week so I played it to somebody and they were like, "That's good." Then I hated them for a minute because it was shit.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #59
Black-Antlers
Minor Glitch
Black-Antlers will become famous soon enoughBlack-Antlers will become famous soon enough
Posts: 48
MC Status: 110
Thanks: 17
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

I used to use a PC and it was constant compatability problems and issues with midi controllers. I bought this thing called a Mandala drum which is by a small company in LA and it was constantly fucking up having to use some virtual audio cable thing. Now on mac literally no problems what so ever.
Black-Antlers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:27 AM   #60
DeadCat
Minor Glitch
DeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really nice
South
Posts: 30
MC Status: 360
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Never tried Mac, I use custom built PC.
Although first smartphone I received was Iphone, at first I was very skeptical and suspicious. But I got used to it and learned to like it. It is the same endless topic as the battle of DAW. But in the end, all the machines are made for you to achieve the same goal, just the layout the design the functions and their names differ. But in the end all that matters is whichever is more intuitive for specific user, my forexample I have used many DAWs and I have noticed that somehow I just comprehend some of them better, I guess it is the same thing with MAC vs PC, some just somehow know from the beginning better how one of those work.

Advertisements

DeadCat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Chillout] Ancient Wonders TimeAway Listening Booth 2 19-03-2016 05:08 PM
[Chillout] Ancient Artisans EP TimeAway Listening Booth 3 27-11-2015 10:46 PM
[Chillout] Ancient Sunrise CloudChorus Listening Booth 0 10-02-2013 07:22 PM
[Drone Trance] Somewhere Ancient AsylumSeaker Listening Booth 0 26-10-2012 02:44 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.