The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back Ľ The Studio Ľ The Studio
Old 17-05-2017, 04:23 AM   #21
Eden'sArchitect
Learning The Ropes
Eden'sArchitect is currently spamming hard
Fresno CA
MC Status: 10
Re: The Ancient Battle... Producing on Mac vs PC

Writing and mixing on my Roland FA-06 then mastering my mixes on Cubase on a PC.

Advertisements

Eden'sArchitect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Eden's Architect
Old 17-05-2017, 03:55 PM   #22
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

I spent about $350 on my laptop - I use it just to mix with. It does the job perfectly.

There is this idea floating about that you need to drop a ton of money on your pc. Find out what you want to use it for and buy off of that conclusion.

As for Macs...

They are gouging the public with their whole culture. I have an iphone and an ipod and I love them both, but on the computer front, they are just way to expensive.

I have had this discussion since windows xp. There are always those people who want a mac just because it has a reputation for the elitist starbucks triple soy latte with a shot of caramel.
I do want to take a beat to mention windows vista, that did suck. But I just kept xp until windows 7 came out.
I guess Iím trying to say there is no drastically superior OS.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 04:16 PM   #23
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8542130
Thanked 7,024 Times in 4,989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotApplicable View Post
I spent about $350 on my laptop - I use it just to mix with. It does the job perfectly.

There is this idea floating about that you need to drop a ton of money on your pc. Find out what you want to use it for and buy off of that conclusion.

As for Macs...

They are gouging the public with their whole culture. I have an iphone and an ipod and I love them both, but on the computer front, they are just way to expensive.

I have had this discussion since windows xp. There are always those people who want a mac just because it has a reputation for the elitist starbucks triple soy latte with a shot of caramel.
I do want to take a beat to mention windows vista, that did suck. But I just kept xp until windows 7 came out.
I guess I’m trying to say there is no drastically superior OS.
My 7 some year old computer can run 5-6 instances each of U-he Satin and Presswerk along with some softsynths and other various sundry FX. Maybe it is why my music only gets played in my extra bedroom, but I simply don't understand these folks who need 100 channels, 10 vsts deep each to get a song finished.

Though I'm going to look into the cost of upgrading my motherboard and chipset. Probably pull the trigger down the road here if I can use the RAM I already own. The beautiful part about a desktop is you can move forward incrementally.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #24
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536727
Thanked 1,970 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I simply don't understand these folks who need 100 channels, 10 vsts deep each to get a song finished.
this.

i dont understand it either. i think its a fear of commitment, if one prints and audio track how are he or she going to change it if its not good enough??!?!?!

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Jaded (25-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #25
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
this.

i dont understand it either. i think its a fear of commitment, if one prints and audio track how are he or she going to change it if its not good enough??!?!?!
Learn this one secret. All the PROS will hate you.

File menu > Save as... "projectfile version 2 dot file-extension"

------------------
Old 19-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #26
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536727
Thanked 1,970 Times in 1,257 Posts

i try to print to audio asap. make a decision and stick with it. if it was a poor decision... well, its my own damn fault.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Jaded (25-05-2017)
Old 19-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #27
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
i try to print to audio asap. make a decision and stick with it. if it was a poor decision... well, its my own damn fault.
I prefer quick decisions these days as well. I've rarely found agnoizing over things until printing to audio for final upload ever did me any good. (I do still save versions of project files, but rarely go back to them).

------------------
Currently Listening To: Know Your Enemy - Rage against the machine
Old 19-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #28
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

I'm all messed up with my tracks.

Some I have the original fl studio file.

Others are named something like "new funk" which does not tell me what it is.

I like to remix my tracks and this saving convention really impedes this pursuit.

Now I am very deliberate about name saving rules and keeping them in the proper "projects' folder.

Live and learn

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #29
Eden'sArchitect
Learning The Ropes
Eden'sArchitect is currently spamming hard
Fresno CA
MC Status: 10

I produce off only a couple standalone units now
The Roland FA-06
And the MPC Live
Eden'sArchitect is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 05:05 AM   #30
prophonic
Minor Glitch
prophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the roughprophonic is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Maybe Mac people are lying to me. I've never touched one and I refuse to
My Macbook feels like 150 years old and that was the last Apple for me. It's not bad but it's not great either. I guess i am ok with any shitty computer.
prophonic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #31
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9410

If you are not computer hardware savvy, you either buy an Apple or you need a GUY. I was fortunate to stumble across an amazing guy who regularly builds for people like Daniel Lanois and Metalworks. He was working on my POS laptop and I said that I should have bought an Apple. His response was. "I'll build you something twice as powerful, stable as hell for $2500.00" He delivered big time. I'm thrilled with my DAW and it is flawless. If anyone wants his info, let me know.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 06:26 AM   #32
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903809
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts

Meh the only time I've heard of driver problems for Mac has been for hackintosh users or with new OS updates and vendor driver incompatibilities. Neither of these are due to Apple Macs though. With hackintosh, you should expect hardware conflicts because you're spoofing your BIOS and tricking the system into thinking it's using certain hardware when it's not.

And with OS updates, well it's well established that OSX puts performance and optimisation waaaay ahead of backward compatibility, so if you use a bunch of proprietary hardware / software and you update on day zero, well you're an idiot.

Generally, if you wait for your vendors to say it's okay to update to latest Mac OS then you have no problems. I find it's usually two to three months after the OS has been released so even better because most critical OS fixes have been implemented by that time anyway.

As for PC. Well if you've never had issues with hardware drivers on Windows, then you've only ever bought overpriced, top shelf, brand name hardware, or you don't actually use Windows.

My main reason for going Mac is stability and performance. I've had Macs where they're badly in need of a cleanup and the OS runs shit but then you get on stage and fire up your DAW and it's rocksteady. My experience with Windows is the opposite - where there is an issue with OS performance, every application you open will be sluggish and unreliable.

I mean shit, someone actually ported Windows Defender to Linux because vuln testing the application on Windows was too slow and inefficient! Go Windows!

The other reason for buying Macbooks is durability. I've not purchased a non Apple PC laptop which can take the same beating as my MBP. And the ones I've seen which look like they might be up to snuff with MBP's are actually more expensive than the same specced MBP's.

At the end of the day, Windows isn't really interested in creative professionals or people who used computers for computing. That's why they've always lagged well behind Apple and FOSS. And it's really starting to show when you look what Microsoft is investing their product development into: making their OS useable by the 90% of the market who doesn't use their software because it's not compatibly with 90% of computing platforms and applications in existence.

The only reason I could think to buy a computer to install Windows on is to play games. But then I have consoles and once Steam finishes its gaming platform... well there's absolutely no reason to use Windows anymore.

Oh, and lastly, my average Macbook has still been useable after seven years. Windows PCs are cactus after twelve months...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #33
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Also, guess which computer the lead developer on Microsoft Visual Studio uses? Hint: it's not a Windows computer
Old 25-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #34
Focalized
Man in the box
Focalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MCFocalized is a savage MC
Space Base
MC Status: 10377667

My PC is now 9 years old. Early Intel i7. Only thing is that the fan vibrates irregularly and I have to clean the dust out often.

It's weird how it works great with audio and video but lags with the shit the internet throws at us. It's just all too saturated.

------------------
Focalized is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #35
radiowaves
Savage Mad Cunt
radiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MCradiowaves is a savage MC
MC Status: 24505865

Linux

------------------
radiowaves is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to radiowaves
Vault O))) (26-05-2017)
Old 25-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #36
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focalized View Post
My PC is now 9 years old. Early Intel i7. Only thing is that the fan vibrates irregularly and I have to clean the dust out often.

It's weird how it works great with audio and video but lags with the shit the internet throws at us. It's just all too saturated.
To be fair, OS's and most audio softwares are well tested, optimised and all that.

By comparison, most of the code on the internet is written by a bunch of shit cunts who are to the tech world what electronic music "producers" who do a bunch of YouTube tutorials then roll out some hits. And that's basically what they do, except with frameworks instead of presets!
Old 26-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #37
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

The issue with windows laptops really isn't Windows. ....it's the manufacturers. A lot of manufacturers I think focus on slapping a bunch of hardware together without actually testing them, they follow standards designed to create sales. Want an i7? You're getting a big 5200rpm hard drive, 8gb and a specially branded dual core. Get an i5? Maybe get a smaller 7200rpm drive, 6gb ram, same two cores. Apple may build to a higher standard but they charge enough to make up for it, but I'd rather use Linux (what mac pretty much is) than mac. Building my own pc showed me a ton about the reality that good hardware makes a good running OS.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #38
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotApplicable View Post

As for Macs...

I guess Iím trying to say there is no drastically superior OS.
And don't think you'll game off vanilla integrated graphics on the chip. I couldn't stand apple ever since I got an iPhone 4s (first smart phone) and ios7 drops and "hey. ....phone's fucked. Awesome." Went from stability and speed to slow and agony.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
NotApplicable (27-05-2017)
Old 26-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #39
Entox
Deep Underground
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol
MC Status: 2184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Windows is probably shit in comparison (and all of my PC's & laptop are shit to begin with), but I've grown really used to it. I don't even get mad anymore when my DAW crashes incessantly, updates don't allow me to use my PC, etc.

Anyone who says PC's are better are bullshitting themselves, but you get used to buggy drivers and all of the quirks.
Horses for courses.

Mac users like macs, pc users (cool people) like pc's...

I can say i have been using ableton 9/reason 7 and audacity for over 3 years now with window 7 and 10 and i have not ever once had my DAW crash even once.

I also run all those DAWS at once, close open DAWS all the time to switch between master reason and re-wired reason to ableton and it's faultless.

People issues will mostly come down to dodgy cheap hardware, a poorly specced pc, or build driver issues.

I'm an IT contractor as a profession btw, so that's gives me an advantage when building my pc.

------------------
Entox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Entox
Jaded (29-05-2017)
Old 27-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #40
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud ofRvrsal has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

Aaah the good old debate...

Personally I'm a mac guy, in spite of the fact that Macs are ridiculously overpriced. My main reason for macs is really just logic. When you consider that pretty much everything you need to produce is in a piece of software that costs only 200$ and includes a host of high-quality synths, virtual instruments and quality plug-ins, well I feel like I'm getting a bang for my buck.

Honestly though, I changed comps two months ago, and if it weren't for the fact that I started producing on Logic and have always been on Logic since I started making music and that all my sessions are on Logic, I probably would have gone for a well-built PC. I don't very much tend to like how Apple is pushing their ovepriced business model to the extreme these days. Like my roommate says: "they piss on you and tell you it's raining"...

Still, the consistent improvements that I have seen on Logic over the past 5 years still make it worthwhile for me. They really just need to do something about EXS24 though.

Advertisements

Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Rvrsal
-Agu- (27-05-2017)