Qebrus Sound Design?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back ŧ The Studio ŧ The Studio
Old 28-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
rstark
Minor Glitch
rstark will become famous soon enoughrstark will become famous soon enough
Lawrence, KS
MC Status: 110
Qebrus Sound Design?

Qebrus is an "IDM" producer who is making music that sounds like Alien Artifacts. What does it sound like he's using to get these crazy sounds? Here's a song that showcases some of his usual techniques. Explore around on his bandcamp and let me know what you think!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

rstark is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Qebrus
Old 28-03-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184160
Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,744 Posts
Re: Qebrus Sound Design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstark View Post
Qebrus is an "IDM" producer who is making music that sounds like Alien Artifacts. What does it sound like he's using to get these crazy sounds? Here's a song that showcases some of his usual techniques. Explore around on his bandcamp and let me know what you think!

Could really be anything..or at the very least, a collection of various software / hardware synths and samples..there's no one "thing" that's going to give you the sounds he's using.

Try messing around with the likes of Absynth and/or Massive from Native Instrument and applying various effects as per your taste.

If the "hands on" approach isn't for you, then check out some of the products on offer from the likes of [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and/or [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, both of whom specialize in software and sample packs that cater to this specific genre or style of music/ sound design.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #3
mr.Qaobab
Knob Twiddler
mr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant future
rvk
MC Status: 1924

Sounds like lots of spectral effects and distortion, try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
and just search google for others, there are quite a few of them around, spectral monkeyage, anarchy rhythms [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
etc
mr.Qaobab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #4
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Qaobab View Post
Sounds like lots of spectral effects and distortion, try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I was going to suggest that, too. When I first heard Qebrus my first thought was actually of this plugin.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
mr.Qaobab (01-04-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
Ad Ken
Learning The Ropes
Ad Ken is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

read in an interview he only works with sounds he's synthesized himself, so dont think there are many samples
Ad Ken is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59410
Thanked 1,188 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
I was going to suggest that, too. When I first heard Qebrus my first thought was actually of this plugin.

I've tried out this plugin but don't seem to get very good results. Does anyone have any specific tips of how to get good results?
Like which effects on which kind of sounds and frequency bands give interesting results? Just a few ideas to point me in the right direction would be really helpful.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #8
metalzone2000
IDMf Artist
metalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MC
Houston, Texas
MC Status: 57924

I like to use this guys stuff for really weird shit. You can get pretty fuckin strange with Virtual ANS. He also makes Sun Vox and tons of other cool shit. Hell it even works on android!

Although I have to say....... seeing Qebrus live set after Day for Night last year was fucking amazing, Really nice guy to. Got to hang out with him for a lil bit.

------------------

A random patch I did with Bazille, Gverb, AM Pitchshifter, Autotalent, and 24 random LFO's in Renoise.
metalzone2000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:07 AM   #9
soundmodel
Microknight
soundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant futuresoundmodel has a brilliant future
Finland
MC Status: 1810

I would say that for most part you will be served best if you forget that there has to be a certain "procedure" to follow. Rather, just experiment freely with different synths and effects. Even by just randomizing the parameters or drawing multiple automation lines (or you can also use LFOs).

I find that this is

1) A good way to discover what things produce the sounds or effects that you desire.
2) A good way to find out things and sounds that you would not find out if you were trying to approach building them "rationally", rather than randomly.
soundmodel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
-Agu-
Knob Twiddler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4560

Quote:
Originally Posted by professurreal View Post
I've tried out this plugin but don't seem to get very good results. Does anyone have any specific tips of how to get good results?
Like which effects on which kind of sounds and frequency bands give interesting results? Just a few ideas to point me in the right direction would be really helpful.
A few ideas:

Shit loads of variation. I honestly would love to see how his average arrangement looks like (before things are bounced into audio as groups or anything).

Those "vocals" sound like a some sort of a real voice with downward formant shifting and lots of slicing/resampling and processing different bits differently. For example, during the first 10 second, there's a vocal part w/ automated ringshifting being looped twice really smoothly, which makes me think that he probably handles things mostly as audio, and manually cuts and arranges every nut and bolt.

In general, lots of his sounds sound like there's formant processing or/and timestretching being used.

Some synthetic sounds are probably made with additive synthesis. It also sounds like there's some pretty ufo effects on them. Something like the "magnet" in the new version of Alchemy, which let's you set a target frequency, and then as you turn up the depth-knob, the synth starts to manually drag all the existing harmonics of the sound towards that one frequency. So basically stuff that pretty much never sounds musical by itself, but can get you some really weird textures.

Whatever reverb/delay/other spacial processing he's using, it's really metallic sounding. Lots of that ringing, "feedback" quality. I would experiment with spring reverb, and short delay. Could be something else tho, like convolution.

Advertisements

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote