How to criticize your own music like a normal listener? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #41
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410
Re: How to criticize your own music like a normal listener?

Gotta go with Nystagmus - listen together with someone else. I go red in the face and break out in a cold sweat every time and by the end of the torture I have a new perspective. The new perspective usually being delete the track, power drill the hard drives and set the house on fire.

Advertisements

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #42
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20510

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
Gotta go with Nystagmus - listen together with someone else. I go red in the face and break out in a cold sweat every time and by the end of the torture I have a new perspective. The new perspective usually being delete the track, power drill the hard drives and set the house on fire.
yep pretty much, and while we are at it why don't we use acid to eliminate all the remains, including those of everything under the house/houses ruins.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mute machine
purplefish (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #43
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

Then change name and move to another country.

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:51 PM   #44
godzillawed
Learning The Ropes
godzillawed has a spectacular aura aboutgodzillawed has a spectacular aura about
Saint Petersburg, FL
MC Status: 160

i think everyone pretty much nailed it haha. my favorite is get drunk. totally works for me. but sometimes its iffy cause i also have sentimental value with the song already, cause i spent so much time on it, i have a little bond with it.

but i think the key thing to do is keep shooting higher. make sure you like your current track more than your last. and like you next track better than this one. and so on. eventually you'll look back at your old projects like meh. i guess that wasnt so great, but you'll see you actually are progressing.
godzillawed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #45
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 20110

Personally I am never really too satisfied with what I create because I look at other artist who are considered in very high regards, and think as long as I have not gone beyond that what I have right now is nothing.

I do also recognize when I have a more pop or accessible track vs something I like or don't mind.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #46
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541930
Thanked 7,020 Times in 4,987 Posts

Tell yourself the new material isnt as good as your first few albums then go on the internet and argue with people who are enjoying your new work. Argue about how youve sold out and have watered down your sound for the masses.

Honestly the only thing that works for me is a lot of time and trying not to listen to things loop over and over while working. I also find doing huge all day sessions immediately destroys my objectivity. Get down enough in your first session so you no where you are going.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
chasedobson (10-09-2016)
Old 11-09-2016, 01:26 AM   #47
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45944031
Thanked 5,717 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewir3d View Post
Grab a normal listener, don't tell them it's your track. Wait for reaction
That's a great idea. I've actually done that in the car with my wife, I'm play something I made up and not say anything. She usually goes "Is that you?" lol. Can smell my stinky tunes a mile away.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:14 AM   #48
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52460
Thanked 1,049 Times in 774 Posts

Listen to Garth Brooks and Blake Shelton and repeat over and over that this sounds great until you have convinced yourself. Make sure you successfully adopt the belief that anything without a human voice and a guitar is shit. Then listen to your tune again and stab yourself with a rusty spoon.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:49 AM   #49
rewir3d
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
rewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MCrewir3d is a savage MC
Anal Leakage SJW 2016
MC Status: 3063969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
That's a great idea. I've actually done that in the car with my wife, I'm play something I made up and not say anything. She usually goes "Is that you?" lol. Can smell my stinky tunes a mile away.
I have done this to people as well, as soon as it plays though I get super embarrassed
rewir3d is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #50
Redukt
Learning The Ropes
Redukt is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I like to make a playlist of tracks that are roughly in the same direction as the song(s) i'm working on. Then i take a ride in the car, as that takes my mind in a different direction and forces me to concentrate on the road and less on the music - if my own stuff doesn't stick out like a sore thumb i know it can't be that bad...
Redukt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #51
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
I've noticed that if I sit in the room and wait while a person listens to my tune, I get a new feeling for which parts are too long. Time flows differently for the composer. For the listener, they don't know what comes next, so sometimes they are just waiting and waiting, and then the part comes. There might be some subtle variations happening during the waiting time, but all that effort to make that subtlety might be irrelevant to the listener, so they just wait.

So if you sit in the room with them while they are kind enough to hear the whole tune, you might find yourself feeling impatient. And that's a good thing, because it let's you notice the flow of your tune more honestly.
Totally. But since it's not that common to have someone on hand to listen to your shit with you, I try to simulate this experience by imagining playing the tune to a specific person. To make that more effective, I combine it with the other suggestions people brought up: bouncing the track and going for a bike ride or walking my dog, maybe being under the influence. But the most important part is to keep holding the mental image of that person listening to your track. Seems to work well enough.

This kind of reminds me of "rubber ducking" in programming: when stuck on a problem, you try to talk through it from beginning to end to a rubber duck on your desk and often the act of verbalizing the problem leads to possible solutions you can try.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 05:10 AM   #52
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9410

find out which drugs make you paranoid and self loathing. Then throw on your tracks.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #53
pavleas
Microknight
pavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of lightpavleas is a glorious beacon of light
Athens
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
find out which drugs make you paranoid and self loathing. Then throw on your tracks.
Well i always wanted to take lsd and start producing

------------------
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
https://soundcloud.com/pavleas/excep...ion-3-by-knkuc
pavleas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 02:02 AM   #54
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavleas View Post
Biggest problem i have is that whatever i create i think it's great. How can I criticize my own music like a third person? I know it sounds stupid, but are there any questions you should ask yourself when creating music? I can't spot small mistakes in my music until someone tells me, then it is clear in my ears what minor mistakes i have. Any tips for noob producers like me?
I think most people can spot a "real guitar" from a "fake guitar" and the rest of it is about loudness/clean cut sounds. If you're not specifying a bandwidth for each sound (EQ shelving then definition) it sounds a little sloppy and sucks up "volume" in something like a car stereo. Compressing, even tho people don't really understand it, helps. I mean I usually go with a brickwall setting or drum setting and then make sure the gain isn't over the top. I'm not much of a genius at all. But I can say "this is explode-a-sound" or "this is behaved". Mainly I try to get consistency out of the sounds. Ironically, Just repeating those two steps I find is great for sound design.

Basically, just. ...be a stickler dude! You want your music (I would think) to make a strong statement about whatever you're feeling. It's kind of like dating. ....90% of people just talk about confidence over anything else. Are you PROUD of your tracks? Would you blast them to anyone? Exhaustion is a pretty common trap to fall into where people go "fuck it. I put something out there" but people can see what sounds like a tired product and what a "gotta have" is. Think about music like this, I guarantee you, you'll quickly find out what you think of your own music.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 06:30 AM   #55
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 41960

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefish View Post
delete the track, power drill the hard drives and set the house on fire.
Solid advice for any aspiring musician imo

------------------
Vault O))) is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #56
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8541930
Thanked 7,020 Times in 4,987 Posts

Before I started writing music, I was a very avid listener of many kinds of music. Even as a music lover I wasn't very critical of music, in the academic sense of the term I think the OP is looking for. I just liked things or didn't.

Having been weaned on major label releases I guess I probably would have had a problem with things that didn't sound up to par as far as the mixing and mastering goes (though I certainly wouldn't have used those terms). As a non-musician I would have probably only used basic abstract terminology like fast/slow, loud/quiet, busy/sparse etc if someone really grilled me on it.

I think most casual listeners just either like stuff or they don't. I'm not trying to say that the average person isn't perceptive enough or intellegent enough to critique a song if someone put the screws to them; however, I don't believe the average listner thinks too deeply about it.

I think the best advice here really is just the blind taste test. Have someone listen to a song of yours w/o them knowing its yours.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
jimmusician (17-04-2017)
Old 17-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #57
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 20510

Put your music on a disk, drag the disk across your arm, if the mix is sharp enough to cut, the music is good.

------------------
My Website:https://flootaboot.wordpress.com/

(all of my music is linked on my website)
mute machine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #58
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Before I started writing music, I was a very avid listener of many kinds of music. Even as a music lover I wasn't very critical of music, in the academic sense of the term I think the OP is looking for. I just liked things or didn't.

Having been weaned on major label releases I guess I probably would have had a problem with things that didn't sound up to par as far as the mixing and mastering goes (though I certainly wouldn't have used those terms). As a non-musician I would have probably only used basic abstract terminology like fast/slow, loud/quiet, busy/sparse etc if someone really grilled me on it.

I think most casual listeners just either like stuff or they don't. I'm not trying to say that the average person isn't perceptive enough or intellegent enough to critique a song if someone put the screws to them; however, I don't believe the average listner thinks too deeply about it.

I think the best advice here really is just the blind taste test. Have someone listen to a song of yours w/o them knowing its yours.
Definitely, people have a really rudimentary understanding of clarifying what they dislike. I mean I remember when I started out and felt like hot shit being able slap tracks together I would try to edge myself into little groups. .....a bunch of times I got "does not like" in reference to my old stuff on forums. ...it's definitely not the best but hardly the worst.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
relic (17-04-2017)
Old 17-04-2017, 11:18 PM   #59
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

I think the greatest talents any artist can have is good taste and the ability to self-edit. If you have a clear idea of what you want and what you think sounds good, you sit and apply those standards ruthlessly to your own art. My experience is that some people are naturally good at it, some people are terrible at it, and the people that are marginal usually give up in frustration before they learn to do it well. I think self-editing is something that can be learned, good taste usually isn't.

Last edited by Artificer; 18-04-2017 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: desperate attempt to be less of a dick
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Artificer
chasedobson (18-04-2017)
Old 18-04-2017, 02:27 PM   #60
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2860

I've only been producing for less than a year now, so I don't think what I make is shit, I KNOW it. But just like I learned to DJ, it will take a couple years to get to a point where I might put out some good shit once in awhile.

Advertisements

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote