MuLab 7 released - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 14-09-2017, 10:17 PM   #21
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010
Re: MuLab 7 released

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I've never used Bitwig, so I can't say how MuLab stacks up when compared with it. I do know it costs a hell of a lot less than all the others..Bitwig included..aside from perhaps Reaper.

MuLab fits my workflow like no other DAW I've tried in the past..and, to date, I've been more than happy enough with it not to want to switch to something else.
bitwighs made by formor ableton employees its got meny featuires from ableton live but its also fully modular to

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
A.M (14-09-2017)
Old 14-09-2017, 11:35 PM   #22
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184160
Thanked 3,683 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
bitwighs made by formor ableton employees its got meny featuires from ableton live but its also fully modular to
Yeah..I remember all the press about it when it first came out and how some were saying they'd basically ripped off ableton, which isn't the case at all..they just did things differently and, based on what others have said, done things better in many of those cases.

Don't get me wrong..I'm not knocking BW if any other DAW..just saying MuLab fits me like a glove at the moment and I can't see myself moving away from it down the road either, as they keep adding to it, making it better with each release. Plus, like I touched on already, it's really great value, too.

I guess if I had to put it in simple terms, I'd say MuLab is as simple or as deep as you want it to be. The tools are there to make your own sounds..or you can go with the included presets. It's totally up to you how you work with it and it doesn't box you in or limit your workflow at all.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 03:25 PM   #23
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

I tried MuLab last night for the first time. Nicely, it installs and runs on Linux (via WINE [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
) just fine! I am using the "wine-staging" version of WINE instead of the development or basic version. It has some clear advantages and is stable and is probably the newest WINE.

Anyways, the only thing I don't yet feel totally OK about MuLab is the handling of WAV files. If I want to split them and fade them and stuff like that, it seems a little less user-friendly than Reaper. However, for everything else so far, I like it more than Reaper, especially for sequencing. Reaper probably has more features, but MuLab implements what it has efficiently and with power and user-friendliness in a way that I like (except the demo hiss).

I am considering buying it, but it's kinda pricey compared to Reaper. Yet, it might be worth it. The synth engine in it is really powerful. I'm noticing some similarities to Harmor which is awesome; really nice how they included the AKWF wavetables and have the customizeable supersaw flexibility options in the "deep" menus.

Overally, I'm impressed, and I started working on a tune really easily. It's damned simple to learn and you don't get lost in the configuration settings. I like how it ran on Linux without special settings compared to Reaper.

The quantizing function was kinda hard to find at first, but it's OK once you know where it is. Really not a problem.

I will be keeping this demo and probably using it more and more as part of my toolkit. If I notice more features, I might buy it. I think their registration system is probably pretty smooth too, since I think it uses text-based key codes instead of other copy-protection wierdnesses.

Some nice things about it is that it seems to have an abundance of well-thought-out features grabbed or borrowed or copied or innovated from a wide variety of other DAWs/VSTi's (without plagiarism).

It's got some in common with MultitrackStudio Pro Plus, some with Reaper, some with BitWig, some with EnergyXT, some with LMMS, some with FL Studio, some with Harmor/Toxic Biohazard/Sytrus, some with GarageBand.

The developers are probably really clever people. I already respect them.
I would recommend this DAW to anybody who needs something different to try.

Even their website is pretty clean and easy.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #24
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Actually, MuLab doesn't cost more than Reaper..it's the other way round..

Reaper (full commercial license): $225

MuLab (full commercial license): €69 (..that's $82.46 at the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
at the time of typing this)

That's a difference of $142.54 between the two for a full commercial license.

I'm not knocking Reaper or badmouthing it..and I don't think we can really compare DAWs like this as in the end so much about the DAW you end up using has more to do with how you work, than it does with how much money you want to spend..and though that's obviously a serious factor for many out there, it shouldn't really be..and doesn't need to be either. In the end we each end up using the tools that enable us to be creative and work the best we can.

------------------
Old 21-09-2017, 03:14 PM   #25
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Actually, MuLab doesn't cost more than Reaper..it's the other way round..

Reaper (full commercial license): $225

MuLab (full commercial license): 69 (..that's $82.46 at the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
at the time of typing this)

That's a difference of $142.54 between the two for a full commercial license.

I'm not knocking Reaper or badmouthing it..and I don't think we can really compare DAWs like this as in the end so much about the DAW you end up using has more to do with how you work, than it does with how much money you want to spend..and though that's obviously a serious factor for many out there, it shouldn't really be..and doesn't need to be either. In the end we each end up using the tools that enable us to be creative and work the best we can.
OK, you may be right about the commercial license, but what about the single user license? I think I paid about 50 or 60 us dollars for Reaper. That's cheaper than MuLab.

But I might end up buying it anyhow.
I spend the same price as what MuLab is asking for MultitrackStudio Pro Plus, and these days I'm realising that it's actually better than Reaper for some kinds of MIDI and for certain types of modular effect processing.

But yeah, I wish we could just say these are just tools and money shouldn't be an issue, but hey, I'm poor... money is an issue for me every day. By buying good pro audio gear I am making sacrifices about furniture, food, clothing, travel funds, and otherwise spending money. But I'm OK with it because I'm good at budgeting and I don't need much of anything. And I'm smart enough to know how to cut corners too.

------------------
Old 21-09-2017, 09:28 PM   #26
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
OK, you may be right about the commercial license, but what about the single user license? I think I paid about 50 or 60 us dollars for Reaper. That's cheaper than MuLab.

But I might end up buying it anyhow.
I spend the same price as what MuLab is asking for MultitrackStudio Pro Plus, and these days I'm realising that it's actually better than Reaper for some kinds of MIDI and for certain types of modular effect processing.

But yeah, I wish we could just say these are just tools and money shouldn't be an issue, but hey, I'm poor... money is an issue for me every day. By buying good pro audio gear I am making sacrifices about furniture, food, clothing, travel funds, and otherwise spending money. But I'm OK with it because I'm good at budgeting and I don't need much of anything. And I'm smart enough to know how to cut corners too.

I was speaking artistically..not literally..of course money is important and not everyone can afford to go out and buy whatever they want..myself included..you're not alone, trust me. The point I was making was in the end we, as artists, tend to get what we believe we need and will spend however much it takes to get that thing, as your reply demonstrates.

The difference between the basic and full versions of Reaper is the basic version is not meant to be used for "pro" production..only for stuff you're not going to release or make money from. If you want to sell anything you make in Reaper and / or go pro, then you need to pay for the full license, which..again, will set you back $142.54 more than MuLab's full license.So, "Reaper ain't cheaper"if you're talking about using both legally for the same tasks and level of production.The main thing about MuLab for me is its looks..everything just seems to fit on screen so well and looks great to the eye..you're not hit with a load of little screens all over the place, that need to be arranged and saved as a template for future use..everything just works from the start and is easy to use, which lets me get on with being creative.

But that's just my take on it..others may or may not share my thoughts and views..and that's cool..to each their own. I'm not trying to sell MuLab to anyone..so my apologies if that's how any of this is coming across..I'm just trying to explain why I like it so much.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Daggit (21-09-2017)
Old 21-09-2017, 09:46 PM   #27
Daggit
Master of the LFO

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
:

I understand what you are saying. It makes sense.
Actually, I liked MultitrackStudio Pro Plus for the same reasons, haha.
It's also a really clean user interface. So clean that it's incompatible with Wine
MultitrackStudio has this thing where every window jumps out of view when not in use.
That's the one thing that Wine can't emulate about it. So when you try to do anything, the program loads, but nothing shows up when you try to edit anything: the windows can't jump in and out of view. If that was fixed, it would probably run like a charm.

But anyhow, yeah, I get what you said about the versions and licences. I had forgotten about that.
I hope the REAPER police don't come a knockin on my door Nah, I'm not commercial (...yet!)

Thanks for the reminder.
I'm gonna have ta check MuLab again. I need to figure out if I can get a faster workflow in it.
I freeze and WAV edit a lot. That's the main thing. I need to find out how good MuLab is or isn't with WAV files.

------------------
Thanks to Daggit
A.M (21-09-2017)
Old 25-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #28
Daggit
Master of the LFO

OK, so I finally started testing MuLab again.
It comes with MUX built-in, which I didn't realise.

I like MUX alot for it's synth sounds, but I'm not as comfortable yet with MuLab the DAW, but MUX as a VST instrument is an awesome concept. It seems a lot like Toxic Biohazard except easier in some ways and better sounding in some ways.

I noticed a few screen freeze-ups while running MuLab, and quantizing seems a bit wierd since you have to exit the MIDI editor before you can quantize. That doesn't make any sense to me. Also splitting files doesn't give any visual cues as to where the split will happen. I don't yet know how to split on a grid, like in Reaper. Being able to split on a grid is essential and crucial for the type of music that I do.

But anyhow, I'm really liking MUX's sound quality thus far.

------------------
Old 26-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #29
MuTools
Regular Freak
MuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
I like MUX alot for it's synth sounds, but I'm not as comfortable yet with MuLab the DAW, but MUX as a VST instrument is an awesome concept. It seems a lot like Toxic Biohazard except easier in some ways and better sounding in some ways.
Thx!

Quote:
I noticed a few screen freeze-ups while running MuLab
Feel free to elaborate about this in detail on the MuTools forum. (sorry it seems i can't yet include a link here, but it's easy to find, it's on KvrAudio.com)

Quote:
and quantizing seems a bit wierd since you have to exit the MIDI editor before you can quantize.
You can quantize notes inside the sequence editor too. Anyway, best to communicate about the details on the MuTools forum as that's the central support place and that way all users benefit from the Q&A.

Quote:
Also splitting files doesn't give any visual cues as to where the split will happen.
On the grid. You can see the precise mouse grid location at the bottom right of the editor. There you can also choose another grid or quickly toggle grid on/off.

Quote:
But anyhow, I'm really liking MUX's sound quality thus far.
Thx
MuTools is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #30
MuTools
Regular Freak
MuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to beholdMuTools is a splendid one to behold

MuLab and MUX Modular Plug-In 7.6.8 released:

New Resonator module. Resonates the incoming audio and the resonations can be played via keyboard or sequence.
New "Chebyshev II" audio filter featuring high order lowpass, highpass, bandpass and bandstop. Distinctive sound!
Improved Note Mapper module.
Plus other nice improvements!

Resonator demo: youtube.com/watch?v=G7JdSOd85tU

All details on MuTools.com
Thanks to MuTools
A.M (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #31
A.M

Cool..thanks for letting us know. Just watched the demo over on YouTube..sounds really good.

------------------
Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #32
MuTools
Regular Freak

Thx!
Old 15-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #33
peterparker
Regular Freak
peterparker is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Thanks for giving me this information
peterparker is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #34
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 14310

Installed Mulab because of this [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I read about modular DAWs, Bidule, Mulab, Usine Hollowhock etc. and watched quite a few videos.
Also installed Usine Hollowhock 3 but didn't like it.
Mulab looks like the type of environment, that really encourages experimentation without distracting you from the project too much.
Maybe I'll purchase a licence next month.

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
A.M (17-10-2017)
Old 17-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #35
MuTools
Regular Freak

Thx Schnork!
Old 17-10-2017, 07:40 PM   #36
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
Installed Mulab because of this [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I read about modular DAWs, Bidule, Mulab, Usine Hollowhock etc. and watched quite a few videos.
Also installed Usine Hollowhock 3 but didn't like it.
Mulab looks like the type of environment, that really encourages experimentation without distracting you from the project too much.
Maybe I'll purchase a licence next month.
Yeah..it's a cool tool alright..like I said before, it let's you go as deep as you want to go..and the UI is really nice..makes working with it a real joy, not having to deal with multi-screens all over the place..very tidy.

Advertisements

------------------