VST Mastering Favorites? What do you use? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 21-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #61
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010
Re: VST Mastering Favorites? What do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headpilot View Post
FL Studio 64 bit automatically bridges 32 bit plugins.
yea but its shit, always use 64 bit plugins in a 64 bit os the bridgeing causes memory leaks.

Advertisements

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:02 AM   #62
Cjames123
IDMf's latest spammer
Cjames123 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

+1 on isotope ozone and neutron!
Cjames123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #63
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

Elevate. I could sell Pro-L, bx_limiter and even Ozone 7 right now without looking back much...

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 12:48 PM   #64
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184410
Thanked 3,688 Times in 2,749 Posts

I'm still learning to master and due to this, I've been consistently chopping and changing plugins I use in my mastering chain..some fee-based, but mostly free.

I don't have any isotope stuff yet, but I'm certain something from them is going to be a must-have for mastering at some point, along with the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
from the German company [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. I've used some of their free software before in the past and it's always been top quality..and the System 2 Bundle seems to be every bit as good, too..plus it only costs €79.90, so it's a bit of a bargain anyway.

I think coupling the Hofa stuff with something from isotope would go a long way to giving you a pretty solid mastering chain, though I've sure there will always be other "options" that are going to be attractive down the road.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #65
heydavid714
IDMf's latest spammer
heydavid714 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

just slap ozone 5 on everything
heydavid714 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 11:01 AM   #66
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837677

A.M you know how I feel about your output, its damn good. I think you dont have too much to worry about mastering and you are on a similar path as myself.

For recommendations at the moment for the master chain I am getting satisfying results from a very mixed combo. However, Eventide's Newfangled Elevate is really worth a check and I think on offer till end of this month. Also Waves CLA Mix does some good stuff, but I find it's a little noisy on the drive.
A lot of Slates virtual rack on various groups (London, Stress, VCC, Trimmer and others).
Drum buss The Glue (Drum Parallel no gain) into Acusticas Sand.
Izotope Neutron gets a look in frm time to time if I cant get a channel to sit comfortably.

I think it's important to remember the basics. Some and not exhaustive that I try to keep tabs on:
Each individual track does is sound right, any plugins adding unnecessary gain or noise in each tracks gain,
Keep the track volumes down to around -6db, leave the end volume to the master channel.
Your listening and monitoring environment is going to have a huge impact.

Currently Im using The glue (with no gain), EQ Waves 30 band para for sorting out my old ears and frequency balancing (I have an issue in my room with poor midrange, seems a constant loss in that area), Limitless to balance it all out, Nebula with AlexB's 9k console (just sounds amazing), with elevate at the end.

MJUCs is good on groups if you dont have glue. There are so many options, looking through my plugin list I must have 40 plus dynamic comps of which I use a few!

Im still learning (as alwas) so just my pittance input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I'm still learning to master and due to this, I've been consistently chopping and changing plugins I use in my mastering chain..some fee-based, but mostly free.

I don't have any isotope stuff yet, but I'm certain something from them is going to be a must-have for mastering at some point, along with the [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
from the German company [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. I've used some of their free software before in the past and it's always been top quality..and the System 2 Bundle seems to be every bit as good, too..plus it only costs €79.90, so it's a bit of a bargain anyway.

I think coupling the Hofa stuff with something from isotope would go a long way to giving you a pretty solid mastering chain, though I've sure there will always be other "options" that are going to be attractive down the road.

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
A.M (29-10-2017)
Old 29-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #67
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
sorting out my old ears and frequency balancing (I have an issue in my room with poor midrange, seems a constant loss in that area), Limitless to balance it all out, Nebula with AlexB's 9k console (just sounds amazing), with elevate at the end.
I slowly came to this

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #68
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837677

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
I slowly came to this
We all do my friend, day by day, year by year

The irony is to be a master you would ideally be an elder with the ears of youth!

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 02:54 PM   #69
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

If I become slave with an ears of elder, what then ?

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #70
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

I used to use Terry West's CS12m (channel strip 12 master) but it suddenly stopped working in all of my projects so I had to quit using it after all these years :/

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #71
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
I used to use Terry West's CS12m (channel strip 12 master) but it suddenly stopped working in all of my projects so I had to quit using it after all these years :/

That's what you get for using pirated software.

Just kidding..

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Daggit (30-10-2017)
Old 30-10-2017, 12:19 AM   #72
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

Quote:
That's what you get for using pirated software.

Just kidding..
Naw, it wasn't pirated, of course.
I use something like 97% freewares. I pay for the rest.
Maybe even more than that. I never really did the math.

There was a time a long time ago when I used a bootleg of CoolEdit 2000, but that got eclipsed by guilt and Wavosaur and Audacity and OcenAudio. It was damned good software though, ahead of it's time, yet probably not really quite worth the price.

By the time I tried to hunt down the makers of CoolEdit to pay for it, it was discontinued completely and the company had changed names.

And then more and more people were warning each other about malware, so I just quit that permanently.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Daggit
A.M (30-10-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 08:03 AM   #73
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7410

Honestly...not much.

Live's Spectrum, a stereoscope, and Live's EQ8...mmm...yep. That's typically it.
I don't use the EQ8 on the master; just on individual tracks.

On the master I usually just have a spectrum and stereoscope.

Recently I've started using Orban and a spectrogram, but I do this after rendering out to wav file.
I then check the loudness variables by analyzing a per-second log via Orban (I import that data dump into excel), and the spectrogram is nothing fancy (Sonic Vizualizer).
I just started using the spectrogram to check if I like the frequency saturation bandwidth (psst...more frequencies being gainfully employed "sounds" loud without actually being forcibly louder. - it's not loud; it's just fully ranged.)

I don't really ever use compressors (unless I'm hooking in a real instrument which I think I've done once in the past couple of years)...sometimes I'll use the multiband compressors on individual tracks to reshape the instrument, but I don't consider this using them for mastering...it's just more in my head like turning the tone nobs on a guitar.

(Orban thread where I dig into what's possible with this tool: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
)

Last edited by TheStumps; 04-11-2017 at 07:27 AM..

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #74
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStumps View Post
Honestly...not much.

Live's Spectrum, a stereoscope, and Live's EQ8...mmm...yep. That's typically it.
I don't use the EQ8 on the master; just on individual tracks.

On the master I usually just have a spectrum and stereoscope.

Recently I've started using Orban and a spectrogram, but I do this after rendering out to wav file.
I then check the loudness variables by analyzing a per-second log via Orban (I import that data dump into excel), and the spectrogram is nothing fancy (Sonic Vizualizer).
I just started using the spectrogram to check if I like the frequency saturation bandwidth (psst...more frequencies being gainfully employed "sounds" loud without actually being forcibly louder. - it's not loud; it's just fully ranged.)

I don't really ever use compressors (unless I'm hooking in a real instrument which I think I've done once in the past couple of years)...sometimes I'll use the multiband compressors on individual tracks to reshape the instrument, but I don't consider this using them for mastering...it's just more in my head like turning the tone nobs on a guitar.
Hey, Stumpy..you should edit the above and include a link to that excellent post you made about using Orban..I think it would really benefit those who didn't see it or know about Orban in the first place.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
TheStumps (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #75
TheStumps
Knob Twiddler
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 7410

Quote:
Hey, Stumpy..you should edit the above and include a link to that excellent post you made about using Orban..I think it would really benefit those who didn't see it or know about Orban in the first place.
Done!

------------------
You, or anyone else, are free to do anything with the music that I make. I consider all of my productions to be public domain. If someone asks, I will give them the source files and any related sample files if they are needed. Music is a dialogue, not a speech. Any listener must be free to become the speaker at any time for the life of the dialogue to be retained. Let us, then, discuss in tone.
TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheStumps
A.M (04-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #76
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7360

FWIW (can't be much. ;P) I, being an eternal scrub, use a pretty standard mix of MautodynamicEQ->MJUC->SDRR->Elephant, so EQ-Comp-Saturation-Limiting. I am happy enough with the results. I have used other comps sometimes, but my experience here is limited anyway so this basically where I always start.

Oh, also worth mention I think is the Melda free pack that includes Mtools and the stereo monitoring tools etc so I can check my mid-side and mono compatibility and such. This is more done at the end of mixing though, so I can fix things per track before I burn a pre-master WAV, but I sometimes check things when mastering with them while mastering to avoid stupid mistakes.

Advertisements

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Creepr
A.M (08-11-2017)