VST Mastering Favorites? What do you use? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 23-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #41
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45943731
Thanked 5,711 Times in 3,598 Posts
Re: VST Mastering Favorites? What do you use?

Lately I've been using Ozone a bit. Can't beat it for certain things although I tend to stay away from the EQ most of the time. For EQing the master buss I've been digging TDR Nova. I really wish Bootsy would make 64 bit versions of his plugs, I don't use them as much anymore since moving from 32bit to 64bit OS. They are killer plugs but cause lag in bridged mode. Loudmax is good for a freebie and that has a 64 bit version.

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
A.M (23-11-2016)
Old 23-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #42
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Lately I've been using Ozone a bit. Can't beat it for certain things although I tend to stay away from the EQ most of the time. For EQing the master buss I've been digging TDR Nova. I really wish Bootsy would make 64 bit versions of his plugs, I don't use them as much anymore since moving from 32bit to 64bit OS. They are killer plugs but cause lag in bridged mode. Loudmax is good for a freebie and that has a 64 bit version.
I had to re-install FL when I got a new machine last month and went 32-bit specifically for some of the plugins (epicverb is.... epic). Thrillseeker XTC gets on a lot of my mixes some way or another, but I really like it on the drum buss.

To keep things on topic, I've been using a lot of airwindows stuff lately (especially console 4, which does go on the master buss among others). He's coming out with a bunch of dithers soon that I'm going to be interested to see, as there have been moments where the Ozone dither has left me wanting.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #43
Headpilot
Knob Twiddler
Headpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond reputeHeadpilot has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I had to re-install FL when I got a new machine last month and went 32-bit specifically for some of the plugins (epicverb is.... epic). Thrillseeker XTC gets on a lot of my mixes some way or another, but I really like it on the drum buss.

To keep things on topic, I've been using a lot of airwindows stuff lately (especially console 4, which does go on the master buss among others). He's coming out with a bunch of dithers soon that I'm going to be interested to see, as there have been moments where the Ozone dither has left me wanting.
FL Studio 64 bit automatically bridges 32 bit plugins.
Headpilot is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #44
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

I'm no expert at mastering, but I recently switched from using mostly only the Ableton limiter in addition to single- and multiband compressors like Pro-MB (also TDR Kotelnikov btw, which is great) to using Pro-L on masters and also bx_limiter on individual tracks and groups (I got both in really good deals recently) and I really like both, but especially the usability and flexibility of Pro-L - changing the various settings also shows how much impact different limiter models and so on can have on the sound - I always find one mode that suits a track much better than the others.

But apart from Pro-L, my favourite compression/limiting plugins are definitely multiband compressors in the following order: Pro-MB, the free OTT by Xfer (for more extreme jobs), Alloy/Neutron, and the also free TDR Nova.

On a sidenote, even though I don't use Ozone, I think the IRC II mode of the Neutron limiter is taken from Ozone and it is good, too.

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 07:25 PM   #45
DOLGAP
Minor Glitch
DOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really nice
MC Status: 360

I use Ozone 7. I used 4 before. And also for a period I used Molot compressor and Limiter No6.
DOLGAP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 03:43 PM   #46
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1910

At the moment, I'm using Focusrite Red 2, Focusrite Red 3, Waves Vitamin and Waves L1 Ultramaximiser to get the desired result I wish. Visual aids include Brainworx bx_meter & Waves PAZ Analyzer. Any remaining spikes in the WAV exports are heatmapped & treated manually through Adobe Audition CC.

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #47
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
My hell
MC Status: 8610

would you call "mastering" through 10$ speakers mastering ?
anyways
fl parametric EQ 2, Molot and fl limiter for comp, sometimes i use camel crusher as compressor

------------------
sent from another world
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 10:00 PM   #48
Vault O)))
Still Retarded™
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Florida
MC Status: 41710

Everything within the DAW works well, with the addition of TDR Nova.

I'm still not sure why Ozone is so popular, but I'll admit that Izotope's compressors and limiter look fancier.

------------------
Placeholder for Unregistered's next dick pic
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 03:11 PM   #49
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10532001

I would usually only have Universal Audio 4k compressor & UA Precision Limiter on my master, and they are added before i produce the track.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #50
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38420

I've got a lot of love for Slate products. I've got VTM and VCC on the master bus, and also as the first insert of every track. My favorite console emulation is the SSL. It just makes everything fit better in the mix and adds some nice width. Given that all my mixes are completely ITB these plugins have become my essentials.

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 AM   #51
Ten Speed Audio
Learning The Ropes
Ten Speed Audio is currently spamming hard
Calgary
MC Status: 10

Maximus by Imageline is a great multiband dynamics tool.

I really like NI's Passive EQ which is a Manley clone with a mid-side mode.
Ten Speed Audio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:14 AM   #52
mmarra
Minor Glitch
mmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to behold
Toronto
MC Status: 910

For mastering EQ plugins check out both Fabfilter Pro-Q2 and DMG EQuilibrium. The FF Pro-Q2 in Natural phase sounds pretty good and FF's GUIs are super user friendly.Q

DMG EQuilibrium is my fav EQ plugin...but is goes pretty deep as it has alot of tweaks under the hood.
mmarra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mmarra
A.M (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #53
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

i have quiet a complex mastering chain tbh.... because im aiming for loudness AND clarity and with percussive material this sometimes needs 3 compressors and a limiter.... say ive got a track with hot transients on the snares, i would do this...

0) Hi pass filter at like 30 if required (if im mixing a tune in reason the EQ only goes down to 30, so if there is low bass humps might need to hi pass

1) using either the softube FET compressor or the Stillwell ROcket compressor, set to the fastest attack time and the fastest release (not on the rocket tho - that shit is TOO fast) - looking for a sub 50ms release - ill have this compressor hi-passed so it is working solely on the mid/upper bands - looking to knock maybe 1db off here - basically im tucking the snare transient in just a tiny bit (has to be a FAST compressor for this, like lightening fast, its got to work on transients that are like 0.05 secs! VERY VERY HARD KNEE

2) this is where im compressing - i used to use the Waves API 2500 compressor, but its a bit forward and aggressive, so im using the Waves SSL Compressor atm but any nice VCA would do fine - 30ms attack, fastest release 1.5 ratio - looking at knocking no more than 3dbs off here - this is the glue compressor, its mostly working on ducking the low-end a tiny bit, just locking all the parts together.... MEDIUM TO HARD KNEE HERE

3) This is the first volume raiser compressor.... for this im using the FabFilter Pro-C on opto mode - this is a really transparent, compressor that works like a soft knee classic opto, so it needs a real slow attack, between 150-200ms and a long release between 350 -400 ms - again 1.5.1 ratio, looking at knock off like 3dbs again - this is another glue compressor, but one that gently raised the average level of the tune without touching the peaks.... its hard to describe but it works...again SOFT KNEE HERE

4) Might do some eqing here - i do when mastering other peoples stuff - i NEVER eq my own stuff at mastering - if i find a frequency problem at mastering i ALWAYS return to the mix and fix it there.... I dont think you shoul eq your own stuff at mastering tbh, if you have a problem with your room, you have a problem with your room and you wont know about it, adding mastering eq can ruin your mix.... but if it is someone elses work, im defo eqing here....

Using Waves Renaissance EQs here for detailed cuts and character EQs like the API stuff or the Oxford stuff here, you know, big Qs general tonal eq work... looking at low, mid and high, not specific things....

5) This is where, might put it at slot 4 actually, if necessary i might use a multi band compressor like Waves C4 if there is a problem with FX automations in the top end or low end - you know if something overloads like a delay or something - heres a tip - YOU DONT NEED TO USE MULTIBAND COMPRESSORS UNLESS THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR MIX - SPECIFICALLY TONAL BALANCESOR TUCKING IN SAY AN ERRANT HI HAT/FREQUENCY SPECIFIC SOUND - A MASTERING ENGINEER ONLY USES IT FOR THIS REASON - DONT USE THEM OTHERWISE

6) This is where i put the volume knob - i usually use a waves renaissance eq with no bands active, ill play the song through and if it clips this plugin the volume will be pulled down, if it doesnt ill use this volume knob to get the track up to 0dbs

7) Following this finally with the Waves L2 limiter - knocking between 2 and 4 dbs off (depends on how loud you want it

so thats basically my current mastering method - it has served me well so far...

gotta remember not to clip any of the VSTS, as each output is feeding directly into the next input and if you are clipping outta one, it is going in the next one too hot and so on and so on - use the volume knob on each plugin to make sure it doesnt clip
..... gain staging my friends, gain staging.....

Last edited by FairyLand INC.; 08-02-2017 at 11:26 AM..

------------------
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #54
mmarra
Minor Glitch
mmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to behold
Toronto

On occasion if I don't want my limiter to take the life out of the track I will use a clipper before the limiter. There are some really good VST clippers with high oversampling to reduce aliasing. Two really good ones are Kazrog KClip 2 and my favorite SIR StandardClip...and both are really well priced.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:25 PM   #55
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel G. View Post
man lots of people who do their master themselves here, sorry for the intrusion but do some of you have links to good tutorials on mastering?

I've done my research but there are so many, and most of them are long, so if any one is any better than the others from your experience, I'd appreciate if you could send a few links (by mp if you prefer not to get too off topic in here)

thanks a lot and sorry again for going off topic
On Mastering by Bob Katz.... its the bible brother.... but anyone can master without tutorials so long as you know what all your tools are and you know what you want to do!

------------------
Old 09-02-2017, 03:11 PM   #56
mmarra
Minor Glitch
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyLand INC. View Post
On Mastering by Bob Katz.... its the bible brother.... but anyone can master without tutorials so long as you know what all your tools are and you know what you want to do!
I would not necessary state the book by Bob Katz is the mastering bible but it is a great reference and starting point if you are new to mastering.

IMO mastering is more about detaching one's self from the mix and listening at the big picture. There is no standard steps to follow and in my career as a mastering engineer I say that no projects have the exact same settings, gear/plugins involved. A few things that are constant over the years I have been mastering is my monitoring system and room.

If you are mixing and mastering I would strongly suggest you get in the habit of stepping back from the mix, when it comes to mastering time, and focusing on the final sonic big picture/goal. Easier said than done but this is why almost all commercial tracks have separate mixing and mastering engineers...to get perspective from an experience dedicated engineer in their craft.
Thanks to mmarra
FairyLand INC. (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #57
FairyLand INC.
Microknight

oh of course every project is specific... i mean how can you set a threshold without know what the input is for example.... but there are certain 'rules' that should be followed in mastering.... eg no EQ boosts or cuts above about 3dbs, mono bass if it is going to be cut to vinyl, hi passing at like 20 or 30... plus as you intimate, there is no golden bit of kit.... like i say, you can master if you know your tools inside out and know what outcome you want... obviously you cant polish a turd, but a turd shouldnt even be at the mastering phase - it should be rejected and its flaws addressed in the mix...

------------------
Old 11-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #58
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel G. View Post
man lots of people who do their master themselves here, sorry for the intrusion but do some of you have links to good tutorials on mastering?

I've done my research but there are so many, and most of them are long, so if any one is any better than the others from your experience, I'd appreciate if you could send a few links (by mp if you prefer not to get too off topic in here)

thanks a lot and sorry again for going off topic
There are loads of mastering guides on youtube. Really you should find one that fits you.
I found vocal and overall track mastering that suits me on youtube.
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #59
mmarra
Minor Glitch
Toronto

Back on topic....if you are looking for bundled products FabFilter, Ozone, Plugin Alliance, UAD, TDR/VladG and DMG Audio have great plugins. Really all that is needed in the mastering toolbox are EQs, Compressors and Limiters...and on occasion some type of subtle saturation tool and Clipper.

When ITB my mastering chain usually consists of 1 or 2 EQs, maybe a compressor if needed and 1 to 3 Limiters each doing a bit of GR. In mastering less is more and by the time it gets to me (from production to recording to mixing) much of the character of the track should be embedded in the various processes before mastering. My goal is usually balance and transparency and the tools I have at my disposal reflect that. When I do need some type of saturation I will reach for my analog chain for that as I find plugins cannot touch the sound of our analog desk/tools....although in stating that Acustica Audio comes close and I am interest to try the Plugin Alliance HG-2 for subtle saturation.
Old 21-07-2017, 06:12 AM   #60
destinationsoun
Minor Glitch
destinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to beholddestinationsoun is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

Universal Audio Precision limiter is what i use for limiting. It is incredibly clean.

Advertisements

destinationsoun is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote