VST Mastering Favorites? What do you use? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 03-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #21
mholloway
Master of the LFO
mholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MCmholloway is a savage MC
Portland, Oregon, USA
MC Status: 1436009
Re: VST Mastering Favorites? What do you use?

Fabfilter Pro-Q2
Ozone 4 - just for the multiband compressor, probably could get by with something else
Sonalksis Stereo Tools
Sonnox Limiter -- closest thing to a Magic Wand
(sometimes) Sonnox Inflator - but man you have to be careful with it!

Advertisements

------------------

a modern twist on old-school electro-industrial music:
https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com
http://www.facebook.com/deadwhenifoundher
mholloway is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #22
dafeda
Learning The Ropes
dafeda will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Ozone 7 and the R2R Nebula libraries. I've barely scratched the surface of Ozone though. Don't know how to use a multiband compressor so I have not touched it, will much around with it soon though.
dafeda is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #23
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outre Lights View Post
All you Ozone users, what modules do you typically like to use and what order do you put them in?
It depends on how the mix came out, really. I actually render a 24-bit audio file and master that by itself to save on cpu and RAM. The only things I find myself using every time are the distortion unit (usually tape sat), followed by the eq to cut out the lowest rumbling subs that I can't actually hear on my system, and then the IIRC limiter with mbit dithering to bring up loudness (I mix at -10 to -20 db, so it needs to come up a ways). I run gain on input so that I don't have to limit as hard, just make sure you do that before you set everything up or it could throw the sound way off.

If I have a lot of instruments and they're not playing together as well as I'd like, I'll run light multiband compression after the EQ just to glue it up a little, but I don't like to adjust balance or dynamic range that way. After that, if the mix is a little sparse or feels empty to me, I use a VERY light reverb to fill in the gaps (I'm talking 5-10% mix). Just enough to make the melody and mid-range percussion take up a bit more space.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #24
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

CS12M (freeware) by Terry West is pretty good for New York style compression and some simple EQ.
I don't like the built in limiter though, so I use LookAhead Limiter (freeware) instead with really minimal settings for transparent use. I will also typically use whatever good EQ I'm in the mood for, before the limiter. Also, sometimes I will insert MSED before the limiter if the mix needs widening and is hitting a bit too hard; I just drop the mid by about a decibel or two (to make the side stronger and to reduce the overall amplitude). It can make a very big difference and is really easy to do.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #25
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
I use independent plugins (TDR, VoS, Slate, DMG, Sonnox, Voxengo, etc) rather than all-in-one plugins like Ozone. More control and variation.
Now, you can use Ozone as an all-in-one plugin, but it is also possible to use each individual component in a custom chain. I'm not a very advanced user, but comparing similar modules with FabFilter (MB compressor, limiter, EQ) they do sound fairly comparable. Tbh, Ozone was the ideal solution for me as I could try on some presets to get some pointers of how I might enhance my mix. Proper gain staging and EQ on each bus did far more to the mix anyway, as I found out, and then Ozone just adds that final sparkle.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 PM   #26
erikmichael
Minor Glitch
erikmichael has a spectacular aura abouterikmichael has a spectacular aura about
New York
MC Status: 160

Elephant limiter by Voxengo has a ton of useful controls that allow you to dial in settings suited for your track. For instance, it allows you to set the transient response time as well as the shape (soft-hard) of the transients.
erikmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #27
YoSoyPincho
Microknight
YoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud ofYoSoyPincho has much to be proud of
Medellin
MC Status: 1060

As a FL user i'm a huge fan of Maximus, overall the separate Low/Mid/High diverse parameters and all the power you have within each separate section, i highlight the "saturation" one which enables you to brighten up any of the freq range sections previously mentioned. Although sometimes (kinda outdated i know) I use the OZone5 too, the harmonic exciter comes really handy as well. Only use the EQ modules here to cut below 30hz and above 18khz since everything else is mixed up already. I don't know if this is illegal but i add a Fruity Soft Clipper on the master when i go for the OZone5 doing the master, somehow it pumps up the percussion so good. Can't really decide between the Maximus or the OZone5 tho, it all depends really on the track i'm working on.
YoSoyPincho is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:02 PM   #28
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183860
Thanked 3,677 Times in 2,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
CS12M (freeware) by Terry West is pretty good for New York style compression and some simple EQ.
I don't like the built in limiter though, so I use LookAhead Limiter (freeware) instead with really minimal settings for transparent use. I will also typically use whatever good EQ I'm in the mood for, before the limiter. Also, sometimes I will insert MSED before the limiter if the mix needs widening and is hitting a bit too hard; I just drop the mid by about a decibel or two (to make the side stronger and to reduce the overall amplitude). It can make a very big difference and is really easy to do.

+1 on the Terry West stuff..though I'm pretty sure he's moved from the Freeware model to Donationware..meaning you have to pay something ($8 min I think) before you can download..but then you're free to download everything he has to offer..still basically free when you think about what you're getting.

I think his units are real gems that are overlooked by many..shame..they could save themselves a ton of cash.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Str8Jaketed (09-05-2016)
Old 09-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #29
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

All of them and then some.. All depends on the project..from free ones to quite expensive ones.. all depends on what type of signal chain I use..sometimes I use anywhere from 2 to 4 different signal chains..If I mixed the project then I take as far along to a mastered sound as the artist will allow..then it goes off to an ME..I prefer to one or the other on a track..doing both (mixing and mastering) is not a favorite thing to do..mostly prefer to go from tracking to mixing then off it goes to the ME..just how I roll ..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
A.M (09-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 04:05 AM   #30
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

1) Fruity Limiter. It has a pretty great compressor!
2) Ferric TDS: Gives it a bit of saturation, makes the song fatter and a bit louder
3) Parametric EQ 2: Lets me sculpt the song so that it matches a lot of commercial tracks.
4) TLS Maximizer: Pretty simple but power limiter that lets me achieve loudness.
5) Voxngo's SPAN: Analyzer plugin that let's me... analyse my tracks EQ spectrum, RMS and peaks. Pretty great plugin, tbh.

Though, I should point out that I also use reference tracks to help give me an idea of what my music should sound like when I'm done.
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:12 PM   #31
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to beholdTheSampleThief is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukami Music View Post
1) Fruity Limiter. It has a pretty great compressor!
2) Ferric TDS: Gives it a bit of saturation, makes the song fatter and a bit louder
3) Parametric EQ 2: Lets me sculpt the song so that it matches a lot of commercial tracks.
4) TLS Maximizer: Pretty simple but power limiter that lets me achieve loudness.
5) Voxngo's SPAN: Analyzer plugin that let's me... analyse my tracks EQ spectrum, RMS and peaks. Pretty great plugin, tbh.

Though, I should point out that I also use reference tracks to help give me an idea of what my music should sound like when I'm done.
I use some of these tools as well, but isn't that more mixing than mastering? I mean, you can achieve a lot with good mixing, mastering is a science in itself and pro's use whole programs as complicated as a DAW itself to properly master tracks.
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #32
Metaside
Soundscaper
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6560

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
Alloy shouldn't have any advantages over Ozone really.
Ozone has a lot more modules, but I think only Alloy has a multiband transient shaper and also a de-esser. I could be wrong since I don't have Ozone, but I guess hardly anyone uses these effects for mastering...

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #33
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaside View Post
Ozone has a lot more modules, but I think only Alloy has a multiband transient shaper and also a de-esser. I could be wrong since I don't have Ozone, but I guess hardly anyone uses these effects for mastering...
True..I think it would have to be a pretty shit mix if you were still reaching for a de-esser in the mastering phase..though that's not to say there aren't times when you will legitimately need one.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Str8Jaketed (12-05-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #34
vetrix
vetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MCvetrix is a savage MC
MC Status: 328626

If I was to choose just one tool for mastering it would have to be Ozone.. its an incredible all-round plugin...lots of modules and highly versatile!

------------------
vetrix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #35
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

Seems to be one missing..I do not see a mention of one of the go to of quite a few of the A- listers that I know (personally) use... man no T-Racks love up in here.. lots of Ozone love as expected with the types of music usually written here.... T-Racks is actually pretty tasty... lots of good plug in listed that work well though.. ..personally wish more would spend time on the mix getting that right before they jump onto mastering..at least with my clientele.. nice to see Slick EQ get some love though.. tasty also..

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Str8Jaketed
A.M (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 10:20 AM   #36
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Jaketed View Post
Seems to be one missing..I do not see a mention of one of the go to of quite a few of the A- listers that I know (personally) use... man no T-Racks love up in here.. lots of Ozone love as expected with the types of music usually written here.... T-Racks is actually pretty tasty... lots of good plug in listed that work well though.. ..personally wish more would spend time on the mix getting that right before they jump onto mastering..at least with my clientele.. nice to see Slick EQ get some love though.. tasty also..
Talking of Slick EQ..have to second you on that..and mention again my own personal favorite, TD's own TDR Kotelnikov mastering compressor..either the free or the fee-cased version..both are equally as good.

FREE VERSION: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

FEE-BASED VERSION: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Old 12-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #37
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329125300
Thanked 1,696 Times in 1,170 Posts

i use t-racks and ozone!as well as au!
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #38
makrsamples
Regular Freak
makrsamples will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Ozone my man. Great sound, if you know how to use it.
makrsamples is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #39
Emmanuel G.
Microknight
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210

man lots of people who do their master themselves here, sorry for the intrusion but do some of you have links to good tutorials on mastering?

I've done my research but there are so many, and most of them are long, so if any one is any better than the others from your experience, I'd appreciate if you could send a few links (by mp if you prefer not to get too off topic in here)

thanks a lot and sorry again for going off topic
Emmanuel G. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Emmanuel G.
FairyLand INC. (09-02-2017)
Old 22-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #40
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of
California. No doubt about it.
MC Status: 1160

logic's stock compressor

Advertisements

Hygro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote