Reaktor 6 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 19-09-2015, 02:57 AM   #41
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963583
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts
Re: Reaktor 6

I'm thinking about getting this. Can I rewire with Reason?

Advertisements

Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 06:14 AM   #42
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903809
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts

^ Muse, I'm not sure about Reason because I don't use it. But if you can rewire other VST plugins, I would imagine it's possible. It's definitely worth the investment...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
Muse-ic (19-09-2015)
Old 19-09-2015, 06:20 AM   #43
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

And holy batshit it's off balls.

I get what people are saying about blocks being glorified macros. But they're so much more than that. Yeah, they are macros in a sense. But any macro could be a macro. To be a block the macro would have to conform to the design pattern (which is really simple anyway). Already I can see that there is a huge potential for building really cool modules... even out of things that already exist.

Last night I built a kick drum rack with two oscillator blocks, some ADSR,s a sequencer and a Bento mix module. Today, I'm stripping away everything in each block that is not used in my rack and merging it into its own block. I'm replacing the interface for each individual block with a simple set of rotaries. Then I'm restricting their controls to stay within the bounds of a good kick drum (e.g. root pitch < 250Hz, max decay on click < 0.15s etc).

The result will be a block I'm originally calling Kickbox...

And I'll probably be done by the end of the weekend. Much simpler than patching in 5.
Old 21-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #44
Geelist
IDMf Artist
Geelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MCGeelist is a savage MC
MC Status: 214609

Some of the creations in the user library look amazing! The new reverb from Dieter Zobel, for example, looks really interesting!

Exciting times for Reaktor users
Geelist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #45
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Okay, this is nothing special. I've started working on some block templates for Touch OSC.

This example is nothing special, just a couple of oscillator chains.

And replicated on TouchOSC.
Download:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'm working on a bunch of templates and haven't really tested. But if you want to have a play, would be good to know what you think ( about the template, the patch is a shitty test patch )
Thanks to Jaded
Roo Stercogburn (27-09-2015)
Old 22-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #46
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Also, all Touch OSC controls are correctly labeled with Rack number, device, control. e.g. 1 OSC Coarse and 1 OSC Fine, etc.
Old 23-09-2015, 05:12 AM   #47
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Okay, the one I uploaded last night was shit. Try this one instead.

It's a work in progress as I am going to map every single block instrument so that you don't need to map them each time you use them. Eventually it will come with a master OSC template so that you can cut and paste control maps and create your own layouts.

But yeah, pretty cool not having to remap all the time.

So here are four Bento Oscillators blocks which have been fully mapped to this template:

Just put these blocks in your user library and use them in place of the factory Bento oscillator. "Bento Box OSC 1" is controlled and modulated by "OSC 1" and "MOD 1" respectively, and so on.

I will upload the completely mapped set of factory blocks along with documentation on the NI Community site when I'm done.

Anyway, here's the download if you're interested. If you want to test out give feedback I'd be happy
Thanks to Jaded
Roo Stercogburn (27-09-2015)
Old 26-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #48
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18647

I'm currently working on a buchla inspired complex OSC in core and noticed that this update is a major shift in regards of how good core macros sound. With this update they demoted the primary level to beeing a control structure creation and ensemble wiring workspace.

From now on i'll try to build as much as i can core only! Hell, even the fucking FM calc now sounds right without doing dirty tricks and shit. Just like on my gaaawd damn nord lead. The CPU usage is also veeeeery low.

Demo:

Last edited by Psychotronic; 26-09-2015 at 02:11 PM..
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 03:41 PM   #49
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Okay have finished version 0.1. I've mapped all of the Bento Box blocks except for 8-Step and uploaded to the Reaktor user library. The download also includes a PDF with a reference of all mapped parameters so you can build your own templates, or you can construct a custom template from the master TouchOSC template, which is included.

Going to do the Monark and Util blocks next, then knock off everything else in a week or two before tackling the 8-step.

If you've been playing with blocks though, I definitely recommend trying out these bad boys. It's a lot of fun (especially if you have multiple OSC controllers
Old 26-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #50
Dummy Choir
Regular Freak
Dummy Choir is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

How have you found it's helped your work flow?

The block system seems like it would be quicker or is it just more to faff with?
Dummy Choir is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #51
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Reaktor 6 is a big improvement. And blocks are cool. There's a whole design standard to follow when building. It seems like they're just fancy macros because they are. But if you build a block properly, it should work with any other block.

So in that sense, it's a hell of a lot less fucking around.

Also, because of the standard design and the changes they've made to core, it's really easy to trim the fat from devices in projects. I was running a heap of oscillators in a jam session and it was pushing my CPU (5 year old laptop) and it was really easy to pop the hood on each oscillator block and delete the waveform oscillators I didn't need.

Things built in 5 look primitive in contrast.
Old 26-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #52
bashnovax
Granular Poster
bashnovax is a name known to allbashnovax is a name known to allbashnovax is a name known to allbashnovax is a name known to allbashnovax is a name known to allbashnovax is a name known to all
Darvel
MC Status: 610

im still using 5 and im okay with it.. might as well go ahead and get 6 at some point in the future
bashnovax is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #53
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Okay, so the word is out on how modular blocks truly are:

Using Bento Step sequencers to control Eurorack. Check the video. Apparently he reckons block pitch values are easily converted and tuning is within 1 semitone to four octaves.

Quote:
  • All signals from Reaktor Blocks are directly fed to the Eurorack modules via DC-coupled converters (Expert Sleepers ES-3).
  • No quantization used on the hardware side. The pitch scaling in Reaktor Blocks (value of 0.1/oct) plays nicely with the ES-3. Since its output voltage range is roughly 10 V you get approximately 1 V/oct.
  • Obviously tracking is not perfectly accurate without calibration - in my case it was off 1 semitone over 4 oct.
  • In Reaktor, five Bento Box 8 Steps sequencers send their pitch, gate, and velocity signals out to the Eurorack synth via the ES-3, and additionally disturb each other in interesting ways by cross-modulation of the the global sequencer parameters (DIRECTION, STEPS, OFFSET).
  • The sequencers are clocked and reset from three Util Note In Blocks (we didn't have the clock divider ready when I shot this video).
  • A Bento Box Env is providing additional modulation via the ES-3.
  • Voice 1: e350 going into an Optodist and a Toppobrillo Multifilter, with some broken echo added by a Phonogene. Pitch and wavetable position controlled by 8 Steps sequencers. The Bento Box Env is controlling the Gain on the Optodist.
  • Voice 2: Res-4 pinged directly from 8 Steps sequencer (its variable gate length is handy for this). Pitch and glide are provided by another sequencer.
  • Voice 3: Cyclebox II in mode 0000, going into two chained channels on the QMMG, struck by an 8 Steps sequencer (again, its variable gate length comes in handy). Pitch and IFM index controlled by 8 Steps sequencers.
Fuck me...
Old 27-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #54
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388399
Thanked 5,088 Times in 3,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
I'm thinking about getting this. Can I rewire with Reason?
There are a lot of players for it so you instantly have some synths you can just play with out of the box.
Monark is insanely good and far and away my favourite Reaktor Player.

Reaktor Blocks is the best way to get started on making your own because its so damn immediate compared to the learning curve needed to build from scratch.

If you have the patience and time, Reaktor is very rewarding and a whole heap of nerd fun.

I look forward to your tales of rage while trying to work out how to switch a note off...

...but now that I've gone and written the above you'll probably be on watch for that

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #55
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 20060

Reaktor + omnisphere the only digital combo one could ever need

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:50 PM   #56
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18647

Last edited by Psychotronic; 02-10-2015 at 09:00 PM..
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 03:57 AM   #57
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Such a unit would no doubt cost a lot more than Reaktor itself. ADC and DACs are expensive. DC-coupled ones even more so, and come with much worse resolution than AC ones. What you essentially want is a DC-coupled audio interface that deals with +-12V, and a patchbay to go with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
HOWEVER, what blingley is talking about would be extremely costly but

THE CAT'S PAJAMAS
So after watching that video I checked out the module the guy mentions. It's the Expert Sleeper ES-3. Allows you to send/receive and convert up to eight signals. There's a bunch of models with prices between 60 and 200 GBP.

Definitely worth a look. I think if I finally take the plunge into Eurorack madness, this will be one of my first purchases. Especially because they offer a bunch of plugins for signal control on the computer so you can modulate the shit out of it...
Thanks to Jaded
lolirl (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 04:38 AM   #58
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC

I need to do a clean install on my computer. I think I might have some bugs. I plan on doing this tomorrow as I am writing a bullshit paper for my master class tonight. Anyway AFTER THAT I am going full on Reaktor.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:40 AM   #59
Muse-ic
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
There are a lot of players for it so you instantly have some synths you can just play with out of the box.
Monark is insanely good and far and away my favourite Reaktor Player.

Reaktor Blocks is the best way to get started on making your own because its so damn immediate compared to the learning curve needed to build from scratch.

If you have the patience and time, Reaktor is very rewarding and a whole heap of nerd fun.

I look forward to your tales of rage while trying to work out how to switch a note off...

...but now that I've gone and written the above you'll probably be on watch for that
Awesome thanks for the review. I am ready for the challenge!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #60
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse-ic View Post
Awesome thanks for the review. I am ready for the challenge!
Awesome, you'll have fun with it.

I recommend starting with learning how to work with blocks. Check out this tutorial playlist. If you do every tutorial, you will know the basics for connecting things together in Reaktor and making noise:

Also, for anyone who is finding their CPU is hurting, there's a great collection called Bargain Blocks:

They're stripped down oscillators and filters, so if you just need to throw in a sine to fatten shit up or whatever, you can use these in place of the factory blocks.

Advertisements

Thanks to Jaded
Muse-ic (04-10-2015)