Reaktor 6 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 13-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #21
Andantonius
Sample Destroyer
Andantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond reputeAndantonius has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610
Re: Reaktor 6

Picked this up a few days ago and it seems pretty much awesome so far. It's like a truly modular synth with infinite routing options. I never really got in to Reaktor 5 cause I just knew there was no way I could build something that could compete with the synths I already have, but the blocks seems to be a great middle ground. Can't wait to see the user library get more populated.

Advertisements

Andantonius is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 154410
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,855 Posts

Watched a few vids... not sure how blocks are all that different from macros...
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
lolirl (13-09-2015)
Old 13-09-2015, 01:57 PM   #23
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388249
Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,316 Posts

I figured out what was crushing my CPU. Running Reaktor 6 at 96K killed the first CPU core. For whatever reason the DAW does not distribute load efficiently across the different CPU cores, despite being set up for multicore. I'll have a closer look at addressing this.

Meantime, dropping the sample rate to 41K within Reaktor takes care of it.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
lolirl (13-09-2015)
Old 13-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #24
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237429

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Reaktor probably has settings of its own for that, which override the settings of your DAW.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #25
Roo Stercogburn
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
: Reaktor probably has settings of its own for that, which override the settings of your DAW.
I had a look but if its there, not found it yet.

------------------
Old 13-09-2015, 06:58 PM   #26
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39281249
Thanked 1,174 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Watched a few vids... not sure how blocks are all that different from macros...
They're not really. I was talking to a friend of mine about something similar, too. It's mostly just a standardized higher-level way of working with Reaktor. It still feels Reaktor-ish, and it fits in the paradigm. You're still building up your sounds and effects, but without the need to get too deep into it. It's very "immediate". So, there's a lower barrier of entry to it.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 11:47 PM   #27
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47763902

Whelp. I just bought this. I am excited to build a few go to sounds, as I have been finding those lacking in my current musical ensemble. I just hope the endless tinkering doesn't get in the way of actual music makin.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 05:16 AM   #28
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26310

Can anyone confirm its 64 bit only in Mac?
And if so how painful is it to upgrade all your system to 64 bit?

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 05:37 AM   #29
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

^ Without checking, my assumption would be that 6 will be 64-bit only.

Then a quick look and saw this:
Quote:
... But when I use Komplete Kontrol 32 bit VST in Live 32 bit (running on Win 7 64 bit), I can't get Komplete Kontrol to open any Reaktor 6 instrument, it just says "Appropriate plugin not found". For the Reaktor Blocks in the Kontrol VST, nothing happens when I click on them. I can run Reaktor 6 VST and get them to work and KK standalone and get that to work but not the VST in Live.
Translation: There is no 32-bit. (And yes, I'm sure if I searched a bit harder I probably could have found documentation)

The actual update process to post Snow-Leopard OS X actually isn't that painful. What is painful is the performance hit you'll take when you update to the current release. It's not that your computer gets completely bogged down, it's more that your startups and shutdowns take a hit. The newer OS is written for newer machines with SSD so there's a lot of indexing and disk writing.

Best advice: get rid of your optical drive, slam whatever SSD you can afford in there, then install Yosemite / El Capitan.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that if you use Maschine, you're probably still on version 1. That means you'll have to purchase the update. So the biggest piece of advice I can give you is read the documentation for the currently installed versions of everything you need to ensure that version is supported, or freely updated, before upgrading.

Trust me, I didn't check a few tools I used (like the tool that I am) and had to spend a few hundred dollars for major version updates that really, I didn't need.

But yeah, I don't think 64-bit OS X is up to snuff if you're rocking ye olde HDD. I was post SL for the last two years and hardly even wanted to use the computer till I dumped an SSD inside.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #30
Roo Stercogburn
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
^ Without checking, my assumption would be that 6 will be 64-bit only.

Then a quick look and saw this:

Translation: There is no 32-bit. (And yes, I'm sure if I searched a bit harder I probably could have found documentation)

The actual update process to post Snow-Leopard OS X actually isn't that painful. What is painful is the performance hit you'll take when you update to the current release. It's not that your computer gets completely bogged down, it's more that your startups and shutdowns take a hit. The newer OS is written for newer machines with SSD so there's a lot of indexing and disk writing.

Best advice: get rid of your optical drive, slam whatever SSD you can afford in there, then install Yosemite / El Capitan.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that if you use Maschine, you're probably still on version 1. That means you'll have to purchase the update. So the biggest piece of advice I can give you is read the documentation for the currently installed versions of everything you need to ensure that version is supported, or freely updated, before upgrading.

Trust me, I didn't check a few tools I used (like the tool that I am) and had to spend a few hundred dollars for major version updates that really, I didn't need.

But yeah, I don't think 64-bit OS X is up to snuff if you're rocking ye olde HDD. I was post SL for the last two years and hardly even wanted to use the computer till I dumped an SSD inside.
PC installation routine for Reaktor 6 offers 32bit and 64bit versions. I just went back and re-ran it to double check, even though I only use 64bit. I don't know about Mac version as I don't use one.

Didn't Logic go to 64bit-only quite some time ago therefore pressuring vendors for Mac products to do the same?

------------------
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
Jaded (15-09-2015)
Old 15-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #31
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
PC installation routine for Reaktor 6 offers 32bit and 64bit versions. I just went back and re-ran it to double check, even though I only use 64bit. I don't know about Mac version as I don't use one.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Quote:
Didn't Logic go to 64bit-only quite some time ago therefore pressuring vendors for Mac products to do the same?
Most apps have gone 64-bit only on Mac now. Mainly because OS X is 64-bit only now. The other thing is that developers tend to develop for only the most recent OS X versions because it's free now, unlike Win, so most users upgrade their OS as soon as the new version comes out.
Old 15-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #32
Roo Stercogburn
On horseback

I've had a few hours messing around with Reaktor 6 now.

Blocks is the best thing in Reaktor for ages.

Personally I haven't seen NI release a decent synth/player for Reaktor since Monark. I've been very unimpressed with the feeble offerings since then.

While its arguable that the modules they offer in Blocks are nothing more than some macros glued together with nice graphics they give Reaktor an immediacy it never had before. They also interact seamlessly with the traditional objects as well from what I've seen so far and when you're done you end up with a cool-looking synth.

I suspect the revenue from Reaktor will shift for the most part to Blocks being released by NI and 3rd party vendors.

------------------
Old 15-09-2015, 10:21 PM   #33
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26310

Quote:

Personally I haven't seen NI release a decent synth/player for Reaktor since Monark. I've been very unimpressed with the feeble offerings since then.
I really like rounds! And molecular but that's an fx unit

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #34
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 526820

Is the $199 price a introductory price which will soon change or is it $199 always?

Cant see any indication otherwise on their site
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #35
Roo Stercogburn
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
Is the $199 price a introductory price which will soon change or is it $199 always?

Cant see any indication otherwise on their site
Its less if you are upgrading. I paid 89. There are student rates and other options too at purchase-time. However, that's as much as I know and I don't know how you apply those different options.

------------------
Old 16-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #36
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I hate having no money sometimes. This is one of those times.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
ms_ (18-09-2015)
Old 18-09-2015, 04:43 AM   #37
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Woohoo pay day! Just bought it.

I think I'm not the only one because it's downloading at 60KB/S and there was an alert to say that my order is being manually processed and I won't get my serial for two business days.

Dang!
Thanks to Jaded
lolirl (18-09-2015)
Old 18-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #38
purplefish
Master of the LFO
purplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MCpurplefish is a savage MC
Ghent
MC Status: 11410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I hate having no money sometimes. This is one of those times.
I felt the same, so I decided to try out PureData instead until I got the cash.
Kinda don't feel like I need Reaktor anymore.

------------------
my drawings/music/videos/stuff: http://www.floodcomics.com/
purplefish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #39
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Holy batshit. Blocks are cool. Most useful ones in the user library already are...

does exactly what you think it does.
Handy splitter to replace note unison and polyphony. Just create your oscillator chain and then duplicate four times.

I'm already reworking a few of the factory blocks to make them a bit more useful. Eg: I've made a 4 note polyphonic Bento ADSR.

Love the new core interface. Very very cool how it completely separates the back end and the front end. I've found the new design standard makes it much easier to pop the hood open and start modifying things. I haven't read much about it yet though. Anyone else know anything?
Thanks to Jaded
Andantonius (18-09-2015)
Old 18-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #40
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19860

Personally I love it because I love reaktor, and now I can have modular reaktor. I've always wanted to get into modular, but I never had the time or the money,so I have primarily been on regular synth which his a world in itself.

This sleek new silver look seems pretty good though, and combined with omnisphere I am sure the sounds I personally will get out of this thing are going to be very nice.

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote