All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work] - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 03-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #61
ubertino
Learning The Ropes
ubertino is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Thanks very much for that, greatly appreciated. yeah the licence is CC BY-NC-SA, which i think covers me....

Last edited by ubertino; 03-03-2017 at 12:06 AM..

Advertisements

ubertino is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:02 AM   #62
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Not sure if this belongs here but how does copyright work when you're collaborating with a singer/songwriter or other artists? Are the copyrights automatically split evenly? Let's suppose I want to sample my song that I worked on with another artist. But the part I'm sampling was written by the other artist. Would that be a problem?

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:36 AM   #63
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrpto View Post
Not sure if this belongs here but how does copyright work when you're collaborating with a singer/songwriter or other artists? Are the copyrights automatically split evenly? Let's suppose I want to sample my song that I worked on with another artist. But the part I'm sampling was written by the other artist. Would that be a problem?
no because you have rights to that song so you can do what ever the fuck you want with it. (its your song at the end of the day and you just got someone to add a vocal you have 100 percent rights to do what you want to that vocal and track) Look at people who do various different versions of the same track, ie extended versions club versions or a vip version (variation in production) same prospect.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:44 AM   #64
Kyrpto
Knob Twiddler
Kyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to allKyrpto is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
no because you have rights to that song so you can do what ever the fuck you want with it. (its your song at the end of the day and you just got someone to add a vocal you have 100 percent rights to do what you want to that vocal and track) Look at people who do various different versions of the same track, ie extended versions club versions or a vip version (variation in production) same prospect.
What about the person who wrote the lyrics? Doesn't the lyrics technically belong to him/her? And what if another artist that you're collaborating with put in just as much work as you did?

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:06 AM   #65
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184660
Thanked 3,693 Times in 2,753 Posts

Quote:
What about the person who wrote the lyrics? Doesn't the lyrics technically belong to him/her? And what if another artist that you're collaborating with put in just as much work as you did?
I think you'll find in most cases you will need to sit down and draw up a contract between all involved parties, as anyone involved in the writing/production would have inherent rights, unless they've been hired and paid upfront for their services. You really need to sort all this stuff out BEFORE you even start writing..and certainly BEFORE you hit anyone up with the finished work..

For what it's worth, I view it as a partnership, where all parties have an equal share of the rights and any profits that the work earns after any costs.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:10 AM   #66
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 33560

Quote:
Yes, the copyrights are by default split 50/50 under what's called a Shared or Joint Copyright which is established at the time of creation provided no other agreement is in place. That can be altered by formal legal paperwork (Assignment/Transfer of Copyright). To be completely in the right you'd need at least written use permission to do anything with it (remix, etc). That way there's a way to determine royalties off the new product.

If you hire someone to write music or lyrics for you and pay them, you then own those lyrics provided you have documentation that you paid for them (usually called Work for Hire). That's the same as if you wrote a piece of software while working at a company - the company paid you for your time, they own the code.

All that said, people take this shit to lawyers and court all the time and it always comes down to who has the better or more convincing paper trail. Copyright is a massive grey area. It's not like there's just magic rules that sort everything out, especially when it comes to more than one person creating a single work.

It's probably also worth looking up mechanical vs performance vs sync licenses and copyrights, as what you're doing with a piece of work determines what kind of license you need and who owns the copyright (like you can own the copyright to the music and lyrics but not the right to reproduce it commercially, etc). All those different types along with splitting ownership between several artists plus a record company or two is how people end up in court.

From [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
which sums up how it works in a perfect world:
Quote:
The U.S. Copyright Office considers joint copyright owners to have an equal right to register and enforce the copyright. Unless the joint owners make a written agreement to the contrary, each copyright owner has the right to commercially exploit the copyright, provided that the other copyright owners get an equal share of the proceeds.

Advertisements

Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote