All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work] - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 07-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #41
Benwaa
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

being a moderator or an admin has no bearing on opinions or truths shared. it's just an ability to moderate/administrate the forums. It's a futile argument to expect someone to behave in a pre-expected way because they hold that ability. It's sad that so many reach for this petty BS to justify their own petty BS. We're ultimately members like all of you, but members who've been here long enough to recognize a spammer and know what to do with it, members who know when it's appropriate to ban someone or edit their posts. I wonder why it never happens in "oh you're an idmf artist, you shouldn't be so hostile because of that"
But at the end of the day, we're all members like everyone else. Nothing grips my shit more than some butt hurt person using it as an excuse why they're butt hurt when the real reason is they were plain wrong in the first place and can't handle being corrected..
If you're posting information is that is incorrect or you're genuinely unsure of inside yourself but don't want to admit it, then you're potentially sending someone down the garden path chasing a goose that doesn't exists. worts case scenario, someone believe your BS in all this and gets sued. so yes, whilst it's a discussion ona forum. posting information that is plain wrong or inaccurate without knowing for sure and researching if it correct or not is misleading and a really shitty thing to do. don't do it.

that said... carry on.

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:25 AM   #42
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175276390
Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
I sent you a private message but i don't see it in my sent box so i am assuming i cant send one or you are not accepting any so i am replying here for that reason.
I have the same problem. It probably sent. Shit's just broken.
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #43
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031141
Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,521 Posts

Quote:

I sent you a private message but i don't see it in my sent box so i am assuming i cant send one or you are not accepting any so i am replying here for that reason.
Sent items are not saved as default for new accounts.
You need to check the box in the options menu.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
deadmau7 (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 10:40 AM   #44
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175276390
Thanked 2,703 Times in 1,924 Posts

ffs
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to deadmau7
lolirl (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #45
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031141
Thanked 7,274 Times in 4,521 Posts

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:06 PM   #46
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
WOW!!! Really did not expect such hostility especially from a Moderator.
Really? You read every post in this thread and then didn't think you'd get this type of response after posting the same kind of misinformation about copyright that has gotten the same response multiple times already... and you read this thread. Really?

Quote:
I appreciate the correction on some things so thank you for that. "I did say it was from experience and encounters and correct me if i am wrong".
This was all you needed to post.

Quote:
As a Moderator that represents this forum you could have responded more professionally in my opinion.
In my opinion, it's insulting to suggest that I should handle this topic more professionally than I already have. I've provided a whole host of information with links to additional resources and have responded to numerous posts just like yours (which you obviously didn't read, which is more insulting).

Quote:
The Topic of this thread is All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]
"All about copyright" What i wrote was within that subject realm. Weather i am wrong or right i am adding to a discussion. I stressed my opinion and experience which could or could not assist someone. Just as some people here post theirs. Some are 100% correct and some are not. Is that not the whole point of a forum discussion??
The point of this thread is to provide accurate information about copyright. If people contribute inaccurate "opinions" I will correct them. It's an objective topic, you're not entitled to an opinion. You're either qualified to have one or you're not.

And there's nothing wrong with being 100% incorrect in your assumptions. You're now taking part in a conversation which is littered with with information, and someone is taking the time to set you on the right path.

Quote:
I am not going to get into every thing you ripped apart in such an immature way.
Well that's good because I'd just refer you to my previous replies and original post in this thread.

Quote:
Because then we are going to be going at it for no reason and I don't want that nor do i want to get banned.
Well yeah, there's no reason to go at it because this is an objective topic. But if you wanted to, I'd be happy to provide you with additional references after you bother to look at what I've already offered.

And I'm not going to ban you for contributing incorrect information in this topic. I'm going to correct you.

Peace.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
fidelium (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #47
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Also, for those that are interested, I have a bunch more material for this thread based on some writing I did late last year. I need to adapt it. Firstly because it's pretty dry, and secondly because I don't own the work (good example of copyright).

There's some overlap on my existing work so I think I might combine it with what I've already written here and make a v2.0 thread when I have the time.
Thanks to Jaded
lolirl (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #48
Jaded
Total mad cunt

And yeah, I might come off a bit harsh in my replies here. I just get frustrated with the same faulty assumptions when there is so much economic value in the skills that we acquire just from doing music production as a hobby. This is why I think copyright / intellectual property is so important because if you can respect the rights of people who make things, then you can understand the value in those things.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #49
ALUKAA
Learning The Ropes
ALUKAA will become famous soon enough
Florida
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
And yeah, I might come off a bit harsh in my replies here. I just get frustrated with the same faulty assumptions when there is so much economic value in the skills that we acquire just from doing music production as a hobby. This is why I think copyright / intellectual property is so important because if you can respect the rights of people who make things, then you can understand the value in those things.
I do understand where you are coming from. I agree as well about the last part. I am glad we squared this away. Thanks
ALUKAA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #50
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Commenting on the "what is commercial"-thing, tricky question: If I made heaps of samples and sounds and tag them CC (Creative Commons) and get a huge reputation as a sound designer, would the samples/sounds be commercial releases?

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #51
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

So now we all have a clue what copyright is, how does fair use come into play? To what degree of transformative use do we have to go to use movie clips? Or snippets of song? Like is this fair?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #52
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
So now we all have a clue what copyright is, how does fair use come into play? To what degree of transformative use do we have to go to use movie clips? Or snippets of song? Like is this fair?
Fair Use is only a thing in USA (as I understand), and as I recall the borders of Fair Use vs stealing stuff are pretty vague. For example one source straight up claimed that it's up to the judge, so it can be a game of luck. Fair Use is intendet to protect critique, commenting, reporting news and educational purposes. So I am quite sure it's not intended to protect let's say sample-based musician (except few who drop to earlier categories).

------------------

Old 23-09-2016, 12:48 AM   #53
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Well Jim tell us; does the work exist to provide education, critique or satire of the original work? If the answer to all three of those points is no, then it's not fair use. Pretty basic.

And yes, that would be a good example of a derivative work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post
Fair Use is only a thing in USA (as I understand), and as I recall the borders of Fair Use vs stealing stuff are pretty vague. For example one source straight up claimed that it's up to the judge, so it can be a game of luck. Fair Use is intendet to protect critique, commenting, reporting news and educational purposes. So I am quite sure it's not intended to protect let's say sample-based musician (except few who drop to earlier categories).
No fair use is fair use. It's the most fundamental component of copyright.

Without fair use, we wouldn't have education or academia of any kind because literally everyone who ever wrote a paper would be violating copyright. It would also mean that there would be no recourse against entities who are breaking the law or something else naughty like that because demonstrating this would require that we not utilise any of their intellectual property (that's the crititique)... AND it means that next time you change the lyrics to a song or something for the lulz, you're also violating copyright.
Old 23-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #54
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute

Well from what I understand, you can say, take samples, repitch, compress, and EQ the hell out of the sounds and if it sounds good in a mix, it's generally "fair" because while you didn't make/capture the sound on your own, you made it conform to a different use.

Now, educational? No. Critique? Subliminally at best, but very indirect. Satire? I guess. We know what this candidate is about, some people find it comedic. A bunch of rap (and other genres) tunes being pointed at for how simple the trend is (seems kinda. ....repetitive? ). It's some guy resampling less than 10 seconds of trump dialogue and making it match rhythms and pitches. Does it actually say anything? No.
Old 23-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #55
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Well from what I understand, you can say, take samples, repitch, compress, and EQ the hell out of the sounds and if it sounds good in a mix, it's generally "fair" because while you didn't make/capture the sound on your own, you made it conform to a different use.
For argument's sake, this post is copyrighted.

This is a derivative work:

It takes copyrighted material from one or more works and transforms or adapts it in some way original to the work its derived from. The creator of this work doesn't need to worry about fair use because the work is protected by its own exclusive copyright. Just like the original works are. You could take this work and some other works and jumble them up some more and enjoy the same benefits.

Quote:
Now, educational? No. Critique? Subliminally at best, but very indirect. Satire? I guess.
This is another example of fair use:
Quote:
For copyright protection to attach to a later, allegedly derivative work, it must display some originality of its own. It cannot be a rote, uncreative variation on the earlier, underlying work. The latter work must contain sufficient new expression, over and above that embodied in the earlier work for the latter work to satisfy copyright law’s requirement of originality.
Source: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Like the video above, its inclusion in this post - which is also copyrighted - constitutes fair use, because I am using a portion of the original work to educate you on the difference between fair use and derivative works.

Quote:
We know what this candidate is about, some people find it comedic. A bunch of rap (and other genres) tunes being pointed at for how simple the trend is (seems kinda. ....repetitive? ). It's some guy resampling less than 10 seconds of trump dialogue and making it match rhythms and pitches.
So you would say that there is no distinction between this cut up repetitive video loop and the original work it was derived from? If that's what the news looks like to you your TV is fucked bro.

Quote:
Does it actually say anything? No.
A work doesn't need to say anything in order to be original or protected by copyright. If it were otherwise, then the vast majority of people who produce work for the benefit of humankind would enjoy no legal protections for their craft...
Old 23-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #56
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
For argument's sake, this post is copyrighted.

This is a derivative work:

It takes copyrighted material from one or more works and transforms or adapts it in some way original to the work its derived from. The creator of this work doesn't need to worry about fair use because the work is protected by its own exclusive copyright. Just like the original works are. You could take this work and some other works and jumble them up some more and enjoy the same benefits.

This is another example of fair use:

Like the video above, its inclusion in this post - which is also copyrighted - constitutes fair use, because I am using a portion of the original work to educate you on the difference between fair use and derivative works.

So you would say that there is no distinction between this cut up repetitive video loop and the original work it was derived from? If that's what the news looks like to you your TV is fucked bro.

A work doesn't need to say anything in order to be original or protected by copyright. If it were otherwise, then the vast majority of people who produce work for the benefit of humankind would enjoy no legal protections for their craft...
However that's still plagiarism because the audio was removed later in the Simpsons work. How is that fair to the voice actors? Are they getting credit?

As for the news. They film everything. I'm not sure a lot of people can obtain footage of the Donald from anywhere BUT the news. You can tell it came from there, despite the logos of the networks it was sourced from being obscured. Does that make it wrong? Does every song that uses a quote from a film as an intro need to explicitly state in the audio where it's from? If so, there are a lot of lawsuits I haven't seen that are on the horizon for every band who's cd I purchased.

Last edited by jimmusician; 23-09-2016 at 07:03 PM..
Old 12-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #57
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Streets of Lojo

Here is an interesting article concerning copyright and sampling.

------------------

Old 13-11-2016, 07:17 AM   #58
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post

Here is an interesting article concerning copyright and sampling.
Great read thanks. Apparently that Avalanches album took exponentially longer to get all the samples cleared than it did to produce.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #59
ubertino
Learning The Ropes
ubertino is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Hi there, I have recently joined Splice, and uploaded one of my tracks - the release was set to public, which if my understanding is correct, means that anyone can 'splice it' and post it anywhere on the internet. This much Splice support told me but after reading the legal terms I'm a bit confused about whether or not, under a creative commons licence (NC), that user is bound by law to ask my permission to use it commercially.

In the unlikelihood (!!) that some commercial entity wants to use it, am I entitled to make any money out of it after giving my permission?

Regards

Ubertino
ubertino is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #60
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 183860
Thanked 3,677 Times in 2,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubertino View Post
Hi there, I have recently joined Splice, and uploaded one of my tracks - the release was set to public, which if my understanding is correct, means that anyone can 'splice it' and post it anywhere on the internet. This much Splice support told me but after reading the legal terms I'm a bit confused about whether or not, under a creative commons licence (NC), that user is bound by law to ask my permission to use it commercially.

In the unlikelihood (!!) that some commercial entity wants to use it, am I entitled to make any money out of it after giving my permission?

Regards

Ubertino

I'm pretty sure if you check you'll find that a creative commons license only grants a person the right to use something for NON-COMMERCIAL use In other words, if they want to use then use it in any way to make money, then you still own all the other rights as you would normally..and they would need to get your permission separately to use it for commercial purposes.

It's worth pointing out that you also need to be clear as to the exact type of CCL that applies to your work, as there are different "levels" to CC licenses, each granting different rights for different uses.Make sure to read [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, as it details fully the different types of CCLs that can be applied.

Hope this helps.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote