All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work] - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Reply
Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #21
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,349
MC Status: 6903809
Thanks: 4,646
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Fuck I hate stupid arguments made by stupid people who probably live on an allowance and have never paid rent or bills. It's even worse if their retort to this statement is "But I do and I have!" Then smarten the fuck up.

Anyone who has ever actually worked in the music industry in any capacity knows - even hospitality workers and other neighbouring industries - that for every hour of music you hear on stage, there's at least eight hours of preparation... Just for that single hour of performance. That doesn't include the time spent actually writing music and recording and producing. It doesn't cover the time spent selling yourself or selling your music. It doesn't cover the countless boring hours you have to spend pretending to be interested in boring people doing boring things. And it certainly doesn't cover the time you spend dealing with the media and public at large.

People who think downloading a track for free, warping it in their WareZed copy of Ableton and chopping it up with some torrented Vengeance samples constitutes the art or remixing are too fucking stupid to get it. Like this stupid cunt below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO-173music View Post
I always say fuck the copyright and remix it cause i beleive music is the right to the people.
Are you even capable of understanding what you're saying? What about the people who wrote the music? How do you factor their rights into your rights? And please, put your computer in a box full of packing peanuts and mail it to me because I want it and it's my right to access your internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO-173music View Post
that being in mind sampling can be a bitch. but remixing. Its just putting your own touch.
What a bullshit attitude. So when you go to work every day and you get to the end of the week fuck getting paid right? Oh that's right, you probably don't even have a job. But let's say you did... why the fuck should your boss pay you wages? After all, he's just putting his touch on your work right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO-173music View Post
its still giving props to original creator.
No, your boss pays you with money for hours worked because that is how you give props to someone for their work. You want to give props to an artist? Go and buy their music. Go and see their shows. Hell, donate some money to them via PayPal. Then they can do more work that you can buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO-173music View Post
its not like your saying "this song is entirely mine" no your saying " I redid this persons song and the original song belongs to him/her."
Yeah, but you're not saying that are you? Your remix of their original work belongs to them too, because it's their work. If I spray painted your bike with rainbow colours and glitter and attach awesome streamers to the handlebars, it's still your fucking bike you moron. If I came to your house without an invitation with all of my friends and raid your kitchen and cooked up a feast for all of my friends; you're saying that's cool. No it's not you idiot. It's illegal! That's why people generally don't walk into other people's houses and start using their shit without permission.

Editing someone else's work is not an example of redoing their work. It's an example of editing someone else's work. If you wanted to give props to the artist by redoing their work, that's perfectly acceptable. It's called a cover version. And there's nothing to stop you from covering any artists work and it's usually very easy to license publishing rights for the original work. There are whole clearing houses that handle just this type of deal.

But who cares, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCO-173music View Post
anyone who gets bitchy over a remix is a salty little faggot
Then who gives a fuck about you and your bitchy little faggot whining over a couple of bucks that you think your boss owes you? Why the fuck would I care if you don't want me to eat all of the food in your fridge? And what do I care if you feel like an effeminate homosexual now that you're forced to ride to school every day on the amazingly superb rainbow seatless bicycle I created out of your bike. So what if it you poo blood every day! It's my right to make your bike fabulous so stop being a whiney faggot!

Honestly bro, fuck you and your bitchy attitude. I have a right to use all of your shit however you want! It's not my fault if you're insecure about your sexuality. If you don't want to ride my gay interpretation of your bike, then you shouldn't have a bike in the first place dude.

Fuck it dude, I'm going to take a dump on your bed, while you're in it. Then I'm going to smear it all over your face in amazing geometric patterns. It's a cross-media, live, remix because I thought your interpretation of your face was okay, but it's missing something. And hey, that's cool with you bro because you're not some whiney little faggot who's going to bitch and moan because someone used their poo to paint you in blackface. After all, it's everybody's right to put their poo on everybody else's faces... right?

Again, how are you okay with any of that? Rubbing shit in people's faces is fucking disgusting dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Surgeon View Post
I you have the stems with their premision, you also have to get the original artists to sign off on the remix which normal requires them reciving royalties from a % of sales, and if that % is not aranged their is a default amout.
100%. That's the default a rights holder is entitled to if their work is used in an unauthorised work. Sometimes even more than 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Surgeon View Post
that legal interation is why almost all remixes are given away for free these days.
Especially if you give it away for free. For example, every free play and every download has a quantifiable monetary value to the rights holder. If an artist ever blows up on the back of someone else's work, there's really nothing stopping the rights holder from owning that person. And I reckon it probably does happen... all the time.

I'd wager a bunch of those EDM fuckwits blew up on the back of some bullshit "remix" that they did end up having a meeting with the rights holders and it probably was like this: You cunts owe us all of your money because you stole our property. But it's okay, all you have to do is pretend that you wrote a bunch of cheesy EDM remixes and we'll tour you round the world and make it look like you're really successful. But you're not because we own you... Shut the door on the way out... you whiney fags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Most bootlegs these days are shit and made by people trying to garner interest for their own career by riding on the coat tails of the flavor of the month.
I think this more than anything hits the nail on the head. This whole bullshit about putting "your touch" on someone's work is... bullshit. That's not artistry, that's DJ'ing. Any cunt can mix two records together. But in all likelihood your "bootleg" is 95% shit. And the 5% that's good is the only surviving parts of the original artist's work that you didn't completely rape and butcher. (Sorry brah, but you know your remix is shit... stop fingering my records)

I know how it feels when you hear some pile of shit record which is representing your work because I've had people use old drum tracks and key jams from past sessions in their work. And it hurts.

Firstly it hurts because they don't say, "Oh I found some old Jaded jams and this is the result."

Secondly, it hurts because what they do say is something like, "Was in the studio the other day and dropped this bad boy" or some bullshit hype that kind of sounds like they're describing taking a dump. My favourite was "It's so amazing when the magic just happens" and I thought, that wasn't magical, that took me sixteen hours of editing and processing and jamming and recording. It didn't just happen, it took hard work!

Finally it hurts because usually the best part of the track is the part that you slaved on for hours and hours to get right and you can tell from the production value that they probably spent half as much time on the rest of the track... Maybe even a quarter.

The last point is what hurts the most because you realise that "these people" give zero shits about your work. They don't give it the love, care, tenderness and affection that you do. They don't protect it and nourish it. They just rape and pillage until there's nothing left but an warped husk of an original because all they give a shit about is themselves.

To people like the cunt above, your memories and experiences are just objects that they've collected. You know, they probably didn't buy the original work. Which is even worse because they probably would've earned $50 in the time it took them to search for an HD-rip that they could have bought for a dollar.

Advertisements

Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #22
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
vashima's Avatar
Pocatello, Idaho
Age: 29
Posts: 675
MC Status: 13560
Thanks: 1,111
Thanked 271 Times in 208 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
And hey, that's cool with you bro because you're not some whiney little faggot who's going to bitch and moan because someone used their poo to paint you in blackface. After all, it's everybody's right to put their poo on everybody else's faces... right?
haha. yes. I honestly enjoyed this bit. It seems to take a bunch of effort these days to get people to realize that it is far beyond a legal issue to pirate. It is ethical, and destructive far beyond the "artist" who people took the music from originally. Hopefully it will become obvious to everyone in the future that we need to honor effort for effort. If you want jams to listen to, give something you did in return.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #23
tygrmusic
Regular Freak
tygrmusic will become famous soon enough
Posts: 10
MC Status: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

I just wanna say my opinion on this.

I would see why record labels would get mad if you release a remix of their songs. They made it, and you are using parts of their songs to get popularity and maybe make money. I dont know if anyone noticed, but big labels like Revealed, Spinnin and Hexagon release remixes of songs from their own label. Basically, artists on Spinnin release remixes of song released on Spinnin. Its about money making rather than quality, which is sad but I see that its a bussiness so they have a right to do so.

On the other hand, you are not exactly stealing ideas, you are reusing them. And thats what music is about! If you like something, try to remake it and improve upon it. Thats how people learn how to draw, write etc. So why shouldnt we be able to make remixes for people to listen to? Fair enough if we try to make money from them, but if it isnt for download anywhere, just for streaming, whats wrong with that? Surely we are shining new light on old songs thus giving more views for them?
tygrmusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 01:47 AM   #24
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,349
MC Status: 6903809
Thanks: 4,646
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrmusic View Post
I dont know if anyone noticed, but big labels like Revealed, Spinnin and Hexagon release remixes of songs from their own label. Basically, artists on Spinnin release remixes of song released on Spinnin. Its about money making rather than quality, which is sad but I see that its a bussiness so they have a right to do so.
I don't know how this practice is about money. When I've run labels, I've produced releases which feature remix work from our artist stable. By your logic, just about every label I've ever worked on was all about the money... even the ones that were money pits. So it kind of falls apart because I fail to see how sinking a bunch of money into production costs to get the work of your artists out there is all about the dollars.

It's actually the opposite of what you say. Labels who maintain stable artists that contribute remix work to the label releases are about making quality rather than money. That's why they have a stable of artists who can reliably produce good quality work.

Trust me, it's a lot cheaper to source work from unknown artists than it is to get artists who already work for you to produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrmusic View Post
On the other hand, you are not exactly stealing ideas, you are reusing them. And thats what music is about! If you like something, try to remake it and improve upon it. Thats how people learn how to draw, write etc.
There is nothing in the copyright convention which prevents you, as an artist, from duplicating the work of another artist for educational purposes. And just like musicians, people who want to learn to draw, paint or write are able to copy the work of other artists. They're just not allowed to distribute it, because that would be infringing on the artist's rights.

Oppressing the rights of other people is never cool dude. No matter how you try and justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrmusic View Post
So why shouldnt we be able to make remixes for people to listen to? Fair enough if we try to make money from them, but if it isnt for download anywhere, just for streaming, whats wrong with that?
You can't listen to an AV stream without downloading it. And you said that it shouldn't be all about the money. That works both ways bro. If you think it's not all about the money, then it definitely matters if you choose to distributed unlicensed material. Like you said, quality should be a factor, and by distributing unlicensed copies of an artist's work, you are denying them the right to maintain and control the quality of their work before it is released to the public.

So if it's not about the money, stop using the work of other artists to get more exposure... because exposure is all about the Benjamins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrmusic View Post
Surely we are shining new light on old songs thus giving more views for them?
That's an interesting distortion of reality though because what you're really doing is shining an old light on yourself to get yourself more views. Your remix is doing nothing to expose or enhance the original artist's work. And if you were truly that influential, then you wouldn't be uploading a remix of someone else's work; someone would be uploading a remix of yours.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
vashima (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 05:20 AM   #25
vashima
vashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MCvashima is a savage MC
vashima's Avatar
Pocatello, Idaho
Age: 29
Posts: 675
MC Status: 13560
Thanks: 1,111
Thanked 271 Times in 208 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygrmusic View Post
So why shouldnt we be able to make remixes for people to listen to? Fair enough if we try to make money from them, but if it isnt for download anywhere, just for streaming, whats wrong with that? Surely we are shining new light on old songs thus giving more views for them?
If the stuff you are using for your remix does not allow modification and doesn't use a type of creative commons license than you should not make remix's out of it. I wanted to use some vocal stems from Marissa Nadler, I got a hold of her agent, she got back to me and said no. Does this mean I used her shit anyways? No! If people want their work recreated the license they use on the material will allow that. If not, and you go ahead with it anyways then you are a twat. What goes around comes around. We need to respect each others wishes as to what can be done with our work. If you are hell bent on remixes, there are tons of legal and ethical ways to do so.
vashima is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:39 AM   #26
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
Muse-ic's Avatar
Posts: 5,713
MC Status: 6963583
Thanks: 6,191
Thanked 4,083 Times in 2,708 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
And now you don't have to.
Proton come back!!!!
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Muse-ic
Jaded (09-10-2015)
Old 18-01-2016, 03:26 AM   #27
MikeyOSB
Knob Twiddler
MikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond reputeMikeyOSB has a reputation beyond repute
MikeyOSB's Avatar
Armpit of the North
Posts: 239
MC Status: 2160
Thanks: 74
Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

You can find legit sites that sometimes have remix contests of pro and semi pro artists with the artists' knowledge and blessing. Why not do that? You can get better at remixing and you aren't screwing anybody over. In fact the artist and the site will be happy if you do make an awesome remix.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
would be one of these, although my security software won't allow me to stream from them for some reason. Whenever I want to examine another artist, I have to download. Which I suppose isn't so bad.

------------------
MikeyOSB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #28
P.Rift
Minor Glitch
P.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to behold
Posts: 38
MC Status: 760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

This isn't related to remixing, but I think it's still relevant to this thread. What are the rules regarding audio clips from movies? I'm talking about using a snippet of dialogue before a drop or something. Do I have to contact the production company and pay them $10000 before I can put my track on soundcloud?
P.Rift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #29
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
relic's Avatar
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
Posts: 17,182
MC Status: 8541730
Thanks: 10,671
Thanked 7,016 Times in 4,984 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Rift View Post
This isn't related to remixing, but I think it's still relevant to this thread. What are the rules regarding audio clips from movies? I'm talking about using a snippet of dialogue before a drop or something. Do I have to contact the production company and pay them $10000 before I can put my track on soundcloud?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

If you don't own it you can't use it without permission.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #30
P.Rift
Minor Glitch
P.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to behold
Posts: 38
MC Status: 760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

ah ok, that sucks. I guess I could just find someone to record that particular line of dialogue for me, that would be ok, right?
P.Rift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to P.Rift
lolirl (16-02-2016)
Old 16-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #31
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
lolirl's Avatar
Posts: 14,082
MC Status: 744031641
Thanks: 10,806
Thanked 7,284 Times in 4,525 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Rift View Post
ah ok, that sucks. I guess I could just find someone to record that particular line of dialogue for me, that would be ok, right?
Totally.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #32
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,349
MC Status: 6903809
Thanks: 4,646
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Rift View Post
ah ok, that sucks. I guess I could just find someone to record that particular line of dialogue for me, that would be ok, right?
Technically, no.

The audio is protected as a recorded work.
The vision is protected as a moving image.
The words spoken are protected as a literate work.

I've bee flat out so haven't had time to reply properly. Slow day tomorrow so will explain more and provide some tips / workarounds...
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #33
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
thom's Avatar
Nouvelle Franse
Posts: 3,608
MC Status: 155210
Thanks: 1,798
Thanked 3,104 Times in 1,862 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Off topic but on topic still..

A while ago I snatched the promo/white label copy of this...



I found where the quote is from before I could determine who made the track. I thought that was funny.



Carry on.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
Jaded (18-02-2016)
Old 17-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #34
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
lolirl's Avatar
Posts: 14,082
MC Status: 744031641
Thanks: 10,806
Thanked 7,284 Times in 4,525 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Technically, no.

The words spoken are protected as a literate work.
Yeah this is indeed true.
I've never heard of a studio going after a musician for stealing individual lines of dialog from a movie before though.
Does that happen?

I'd say bear it in mind, but chances are nobody will ever care in the real world.

------------------
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 10:49 AM   #35
P.Rift
Minor Glitch
P.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to beholdP.Rift is a splendid one to behold
Posts: 38
MC Status: 760
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Technically, no.

The audio is protected as a recorded work.
The vision is protected as a moving image.
The words spoken are protected as a literate work.

I've bee flat out so haven't had time to reply properly. Slow day tomorrow so will explain more and provide some tips / workarounds...
Interesting, I'm looking forward to your next post. I see your point about the words being protected as a literary work, but I assume that would only count if the actual words are easily identifiable as a line from a movie, not if it's just a commonly spoken phrase.

Like if you used something like the Pulp Fiction qoute "If any of you motherfuckers move, I'll excecute every single last one of ya" or however it goes, it would be an obvious copyright infringement, even if it was re-recorded. In my case, I want to use a line from The Departed which goes like "I've got a question... how fucked up are you?". That appears to me to be a more generic phrase, but I don't know anything about this stuff.

I guess it's worth mentioning that the track in question will be heard by maybe 11 people at soundcloud, so the chance of getting sued by Warner Bros. might be quite small.
P.Rift is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to P.Rift
lolirl (18-02-2016)
Old 18-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #36
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
eesn's Avatar
London
Posts: 220
MC Status: 4360
Thanks: 26
Thanked 87 Times in 66 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

mechanical copyright protects the product from claims it's someone else's, copying, or broadcasting the whole or parts of it.
the songwriter, composer, etc have intellectual rights. recently there were some high profile cases regarding e.g. a bassline that was I think copied, not sampled.
then there's bullshit rights e.g. Happy Birthday rights, which you could be taken to court about, for which it's hoped you can't afford the fight, usually correct.

however, there's fair use, which is a useful grey area if you're not making money out of the work.

unless they're your mates, don't release that remix commercially. or make it unrecognisable, don't piggyback on the "brand", and if confronted say it was "inspired by" and hope someone believes.

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #37
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
Posts: 1,875
MC Status: 20060
Thanks: 2
Thanked 401 Times in 348 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

to put it bluntly as a free track download yes as commercial gain no.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
lolirl (18-02-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #38
ALUKAA
Learning The Ropes
ALUKAA will become famous soon enough
Florida
Posts: 8
MC Status: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Hey Guys,

Great stuff from everyone, I will share my experiences on what i know or have crossed feel free to correct or disagree if you like. Over all i hope this helps some of you or maybe even gives you ideas.

I will also mention something that some of you may or may not have heard of. I searched this thread for the key word and did not find it so assuming no one mentioned it. ([Stupid SPAM shit]) I will get back to this shortly.

I do know for copy-written music for commercial use (where you would make money off your remix from the original) yes you need permission from the Artist or label whomever owns the rights. Also breaks into scenario where in some cases an artist may have the rights to the vocal but the label has the rights to the instrumental or vice versa. Many ways this goes depending on who and what so you need to know who to ask. So its always tricky. I was working on a remix of Lady Gagga's - Sexxx Dreams and wanted to make sure i would not get in trouble being that she is so big i did not want to take the chance. The track is on ICE at the moment but not in the graveyard for many reasons which i will not bore you with. So i know if someone does not give you permission theoretically and you still make the remix you have to call it a (Bootleg) to be safe and also its common courtesy to the Original artist and you cannot release it or make money on it. Calling a Track a remix (true proper remix) given all permissions to you is obviously better because its legit and 90% of the time you have the studio stems given to you by the artist or label plus those can get released depending on what the reason behind he remix was (contest, label or artist request etc). Now here is something of another gray area on which i hear different things. Remix contests on Beatport or anywhere else you are technically given permission to make a remix from the stems provided. (Make sure to Read the terms) some are different on what you can do or cant do with it. If you win awesome and chances are your remix is signed to the label/artist that hosts the contest. So if you did NOT win you still did the remix and you called it Artist - Track Name (Your Name Remix) so now you cannot sell it or release it on your own but you can leave it as Remix and post away and give it out (99% of the Time the terms cover things like you cannot post it until contest is finished or post it but disable downloads and that you cannot release it because the own the rights) So you are free to post and enable downloads and basically give it out to anyone. That's exactly what i do in these situations.

Now to Movies and TV Shows sampling - This i have very little knowledge on and the research i did was vague and personally i think its way more difficult to contact a Movie or show studio for permission to use spoken words then a label or artist. Anyway here is what i did, I am a fan of the Show "The Walking Dead" So i sampled a pivotal speech given by one of the main characters (Rick) from an older season and i recorded a few notes on my keyboard with major processing and tried to get it as close as possible to one of the theme songs from previous seasons (enough to give you and idea if you are a fan to know) So i called the song ALUKAA - Ricktatorship (Original Mix). I could have taken a risk and released it myself or on a few labels that i have releases on, but i decided to not take the chance due to the gray area and lack of information. So its on sound cloud for free downloads.

Back to [Stupid SPAM shit] you can google it, This will spark up a whole another world for you if you are into making remixes and have not heard of this . I don't want to get into it too much since i already wrote a whole book here lol. But in short [Stupid SPAM shit] - you can truly make a remix of any song that is on Itunes by artist big or small and actually release it on Itunes and call it a remix and you can actually receive a portion of your sales. I know it sounds insane especially based on what i wrote up top. But you have to read and watch the video on how it works to understand it. On the good side no one gets ripped of the original artist/label/you gets shares of your remix sales. The company backs up any legal issues should any arise. I have yet to try it and i wish i have so i can share my experience, i have not gotten to it yet. I do have a few friends that tried it and so far everything is good with no issues. Again it sounded crazy to me also until i read into it. For the record I am not affiliated with [Stupid SPAM shit] or anything I am simply sharing helpful information given the topic.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me for any questions or input

thanks guys

ALUKAA (Alex)

Last edited by Jaded; 07-04-2016 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: Stupid SPAM shit
ALUKAA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:00 AM   #39
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
Jaded's Avatar
Posts: 4,349
MC Status: 6903809
Thanks: 4,646
Thanked 3,492 Times in 2,115 Posts
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
Hey Guys,

Great stuff from everyone, I will share my experiences on what i know or have crossed feel free to correct or disagree if you like. Over all i hope this helps some of you or maybe even gives you ideas.
Thank you for another great example full of terrible advice on how to not copyright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
I will also mention something that some of you may or may not have heard of. I searched this thread for the key word and did not find it so assuming no one mentioned it. ([Stupid SPAM shit]) I will get back to this shortly.
I suspect promotion of this website is your purpose for being here. The main reason it hasn't really been mentioned in a thread about copyright is because it's not really relevant to understanding how to respect the rights of content creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
I do know for copy-written music for commercial use (where you would make money off your remix from the original) yes you need permission from the Artist or label whomever owns the rights.
For literally ANY use of copyrighted material that isn't covered by an explicit license, you have no right to distribute that work (in the form of remixes or any other form). Whether money exchanges hands is irrelevant as copyright is not about money. Copyright is about protecting the rights of artists in regard to how their work is exploited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
Also breaks into scenario where in some cases an artist may have the rights to the vocal but the label has the rights to the instrumental or vice versa. Many ways this goes depending on who and what so you need to know who to ask. So its always tricky.
It's actually pretty simple. In the first case, you would assume that the entity licensed to distribute the work (such as a label) would have some way of negotiating that license with the rights holder. Failing that, in the 21st century it's relatively easy to identify rights holders, so long as they are registered with PRO's (which most are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
I was working on a remix of Lady Gagga's - Sexxx Dreams and wanted to make sure i would not get in trouble being that she is so big i did not want to take the chance. The track is on ICE at the moment but not in the graveyard for many reasons which i will not bore you with.
Cool, and if Lady Ga Ga's people find out you're distributing unlicensed copies of works which they own... Well good luck bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
So i know if someone does not give you permission theoretically and you still make the remix you have to call it a (Bootleg) to be safe and also its common courtesy to the Original artist and you cannot release it or make money on it.
Well no. A bootleg is an unauthorised copy. You don't have to call your bootleg copy of Lady G's work a bootleg. You can call it whatever you want. It's still a bootleg.

And yes. Under no circumstances can you distribute the work in ANY form. The only real exception would be in live performances, because technically, Lady G would be getting reimbursed by the regional PRO that the concert was taking place. (Well, in theory but that's another issue)

If you put something on SoundCloud that you don't have the rights to, you're potentially liable for damages. And a rights holder could theoretically claim damages based on the number of plays etc. It would be interesting to see this legally tested as I'm sure it will be in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
Calling a Track a remix (true proper remix) given all permissions to you is obviously better because its legit and 90% of the time you have the studio stems given to you by the artist or label plus those can get released depending on what the reason behind he remix was (contest, label or artist request etc).
This doesn't really make any sense. But you call something a remix because it's a work that takes original recordings and "re-mixes" then into a new original work. It's not a legal term and whether or not you have authority to do a remix, it doesn't stop you from creating it. The only limitations are on HOW you can use the completed work.

This is why I think it's important to understand copyright.

You CAN distribute works you OWN. You CAN'T distribute works you DON'T OWN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
Now here is something of another gray area on which i hear different things.
No. It's a black and white area.

The only gray areas in regard to copyright are the rights holders themselves because they are people. Some people don't care what you do with their stuff. Some people do.

Where remix contests are concerned, well it's pretty clear cut (if you'd ever bothered to actually read the terms and conditions before downloading the stems and bootlegging them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
Remix contests on Beatport or anywhere else you are technically given permission to make a remix from the stems provided. (Make sure to Read the terms) some are different on what you can do or cant do with it. If you win awesome and chances are your remix is signed to the label/artist that hosts the contest. So if you did NOT win you still did the remix and you called it Artist - Track Name (Your Name Remix) so now you cannot sell it or release it on your own but you can leave it as Remix and post away and give it out (99% of the Time the terms cover things like you cannot post it until contest is finished or post it but disable downloads and that you cannot release it because the own the rights) So you are free to post and enable downloads and basically give it out to anyone. That's exactly what i do in these situations.
Cool, so what you do in these situations is completely disregard the rights of the artists.

What confounds me is how you arrive at the conclusion that it's okay to distribute the stems from a Beatport remix contest by any other means than winning the contest. Serious mental gymnastics there.

Quote:
All rights in and to the stems are reserved by the Sponsor (or copyright holder if different than Sponsor). All entrants, including the winner, will not be entitled to make their remixes derived from or incorporating the stems provided for participation in the Contest available in any way (other than as uploaded for the purposes of the Contest).
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
This is a standard condition on ALL Beatport remix contests and it's very clear that, other than uploading your recording via Beatport's website, you are NOT licensed to do ANYTHING else. From a legal perspective, you might as well delete the recording if you don't win the contest because it's good for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
Now to Movies and TV Shows sampling - This i have very little knowledge on and the research i did was vague and personally i think its way more difficult to contact a Movie or show studio for permission to use spoken words then a label or artist.
Yeah well given your knowledge on music copyright, it stands to reason. It's no more difficult to contact moving image rights holders as it is audio recording rights holders. I'd wager it's easier, as the industries are typically much more centralised and run by much larger organisations. Where the challenge would arise would be in getting a response.

And hey, here's a contact form for Fox UK!
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]


Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
Anyway here is what i did, I am a fan of the Show "The Walking Dead" So i sampled a pivotal speech given by one of the main characters (Rick) from an older season and i recorded a few notes on my keyboard with major processing and tried to get it as close as possible to one of the theme songs from previous seasons (enough to give you and idea if you are a fan to know) So i called the song [Shit song].
I've just got to break this up so that this next part stands out on it's own for it's stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
I could have taken a risk and released it myself or on a few labels that i have releases on, but i decided to not take the chance due to the gray area and lack of information. So its on sound cloud for free downloads.
Translation: I could have released it myself but I decided it was too risky to release it so I released it.

Message to everyone, whether it's distributed via a record label or a streaming networking, it's the same thing. When you put something on SoundCloud that is publicly available you are releasing it.

And to follow on to previous posts about the whole sampling film thing. I've actually released several items with a bunch of dialogue from films that weren't licensed, and nothing came of it. In reflection though, if I was going to produce those works today, I probably wouldn't have used the original audio, and instead referenced it during the creation of original work.

Ultimately, using other people's work is a great way to learn about production. But it's a terrible way to establish your career as a music producer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
Back to [Stupid SPAM shit] you can google it, This will spark up a whole another world for you if you are into making remixes and have not heard of this . I don't want to get into it too much since i already wrote a whole book here lol. But in short [Stupid SPAM shit] - you can truly make a remix of any song that is on Itunes by artist big or small and actually release it on Itunes and call it a remix and you can actually receive a portion of your sales. I know it sounds insane especially based on what i wrote up top. But you have to read and watch the video on how it works to understand it. On the good side no one gets ripped of the original artist/label/you gets shares of your remix sales.
Shit dude, I didn't even need to read your whole post to know this was where things were going. After looking at the service, this whole service seems like a ripoff. I strongly doubt the major labels would be open to the wholesale slaughter of their back catalogues. I don't know though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
The company backs up any legal issues should any arise.
Obviously with someone like you at the helm, there would be quite a few. This idea is a lawsuit waiting to happen. SoundCloud's been punished phenomenally for a lax attitude towards copyright infringement. They're practically run by the establishment now. Fuck dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUKAA View Post
I have yet to try it and i wish i have so i can share my experience, i have not gotten to it yet. I do have a few friends that tried it and so far everything is good with no issues. Again it sounded crazy to me also until i read into it. For the record I am not affiliated with [Stupid SPAM shit] or anything I am simply sharing helpful information given the topic.
Yeah you are definitely not affiliated with this site.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #40
ALUKAA
Learning The Ropes
ALUKAA will become famous soon enough
Florida
Posts: 8
MC Status: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]

WOW!!! Really did not expect such hostility especially from a Moderator.

I sent you a private message but i don't see it in my sent box so i am assuming i cant send one or you are not accepting any so i am replying here for that reason.

I appreciate the correction on some things so thank you for that. "I did say it was from experience and encounters and correct me if i am wrong". As a Moderator that represents this forum you could have responded more professionally in my opinion.

The Topic of this thread is All about copyright [AKA can I release my remix of someone else’s work]
"All about copyright" What i wrote was within that subject realm. Weather i am wrong or right i am adding to a discussion. I stressed my opinion and experience which could or could not assist someone. Just as some people here post theirs. Some are 100% correct and some are not. Is that not the whole point of a forum discussion??

I am not going to get into every thing you ripped apart in such an immature way. Because then we are going to be going at it for no reason and I don't want that nor do i want to get banned.


I assure you i am not affiliated with that site but do i understand your concern and i give you that.
So with that being said, I do apologies for listing that site and can see how that could be a red flag.

Thank you

Advertisements

ALUKAA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remix release protocol motox2121 The Studio 7 29-01-2015 01:35 AM
House/Progressive - Remix [Release] Aniol House / Dubstep 7 17-11-2013 09:38 PM
[Electro\House] Agnes - Release Me (bootleg remix) EjMU Listening Booth 2 20-09-2013 11:09 PM
Legal/Copyright issues with a remix? Spyderbyte Music Scene Chat 6 27-06-2013 10:01 PM
New Release - KIR264 Kwerk – “Don’t Stop” w/ VovKING Remix SneakerAndTh Breakcore / Breakbeat / Drum & Bass 0 19-01-2012 09:22 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.